Gransnet forums

Food

Cornflour sponge

(14 Posts)
TriciaF Thu 23-Feb-17 18:40:56

I often make a sponge cake, not the victoria type with fat, but equal amounts eggs flour and sugar.
I thought I'd try it with cornflour, instead of wheat flour. (Not because of a gluten allergy.)
It turned out well. The only difference from the wheat flour recipe is the addition of baking powder. I used it as a topping for a raspberry sponge pudding.
4 eggs
200g sugar
2009g cornflour
2 tsps baking powder
What sponge recipe do you use?

tanith Thu 23-Feb-17 19:03:48

I've only ever made the one with fat in... same amount in weight, eggs, butter, sugar, flour.

Never tried fatless.

rubysong Thu 23-Feb-17 19:12:04

DM used to make a fatless sponge in a flan tin which had a depression in the middle where we put fresh fruit and jelly. Yummy with cream for Sunday tea.

Greyduster Thu 23-Feb-17 19:38:44

I haven't made a fatless sponge in quite a while. I used to use that recipe for Swiss roll. Now it's almost always a recipe with equal amounts of sugar, fat and flour. DH loves a jam and cream sponge. I have the same tin as rubysong's mum and often make fruit flans. A quick and easy pud.

hildajenniJ Thu 23-Feb-17 23:50:05

The last time I made a fatless sponge was at school. I'm not a big cake eater, and wouldn't mind if I never saw another sponge.

Hilltopgran Fri 24-Feb-17 00:22:35

I make mine with white rye flour and bsking powder and have always used the equal weights method, ie I weigh out flour, sugar and butter to match the weight of the eggs.

JackyB Fri 24-Feb-17 11:59:33

I always bear in mind that you can replace any amount of the flour in a cake with the equivalent weight of cornflour. I have never replaced more than a quarter of the flour, though. I consider it the posher version.

I should think you have to sieve it well first, though.

We don't eat many cakes, and like others, I haven't make an angel cake since school, I don't think.

TriciaF Fri 24-Feb-17 12:52:32

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to think of a different topping for stewed fruit. I wanted a change from pies, crumble and eve's puddings. I had expected it to be a bit more "airy" than it is, but still looks ok.
Angel Food cake - 12 egg whites!

radicalnan Sat 25-Feb-17 13:15:54

Cake......who cares what's in it ? Cake mmmmmmmmm

joannewton46 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:05:53

Cornflour is wonderful! If you spill ANYTHING on your carpet, sprinkle it with cornflour and leave it overnight to really dry, than vacuum. Better than expensive carpet cleaners and a lot cheaper. Great for red wine spills. Result is NO sign of stain or stickiness...although you just might have a bit of carpet that cleaner than the rest.....
I buy a pack and keep it in the emergency box for just such occasions.

dirgni Sat 25-Feb-17 16:30:48

When using same weight fat,flour and sugar, do you weigh the eggs shell on or off?

Greyduster Sat 25-Feb-17 17:14:00

I usually just assume that a large egg in its shell weighs two ounces (I just weighed three to check and each of them did) and go with that. Three eggs, six ounces of flour, etc.

grannybuy Sat 25-Feb-17 23:25:41

I use less butter ie 125g butter to 175g each of sugar and flour. The sponge is paler and lighter.

TriciaF Sun 26-Feb-17 09:08:40

For a swiss roll or flan I use 3 eggs 3 oz sugar 3 oz flour (or cornflour.)
Or 4/4/4. Plus a drop of almond essence.
Th secret is in whipping the eggs and sugar over a bowl of hot water to form a firm emulsion. Then fold in flour gently.