Gransnet forums

Food

Looking for a travel mug

(16 Posts)
chickenlegs Sun 30-Apr-17 12:32:57

I'd like one of those travel mugs to take out instead of a thermos flask but all the ones I've seen say they are not spill-proof. Does anyone have one which can be sealed and carried safely, please?

Greyduster Sun 30-Apr-17 13:54:57

DH has a Thermos travel mug. It's useless.

Galen Sun 30-Apr-17 14:09:10

I'm a mug, and I travel. Will I do?

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Apr-17 14:15:15

I'll travel with you Galen - where to next? wink

I have a travel mug somewhere, never use it so I won't take it with me.

gretel Sun 30-Apr-17 15:57:47

Contigo. Expensive but worth it. My husband has used one every day for the last three years and I don't think it has ever leaked. I've turned it upside down and it doesn't leak. Much better than a thermos flask.

NanaandGrampy Sun 30-Apr-17 18:26:59

Have you tried Lakeland ? I think they do a selection.

Lillie Sun 30-Apr-17 19:34:19

I bought a Goodgrips coffee mug. It certainly doesn't leak and it keeps the drink hot for long enough. The thing I find strange is that it doesn't have a proper spout, but the drink comes out of a lock in the centre and I have to slurp it round to drink. I would go and have a look in a shop.

chickenlegs Mon 01-May-17 22:18:48

Thanks for all the advice. I have looked in lots of shops, Lillie, and couldn't find one. That's why I came on for advice. I will not research Goodgrips and Contigo. Thanks again.

Izabella Tue 02-May-17 09:51:50

I am obviously missing out on one of life's essentials. What is a travelling mug (from a gran who has backpacked all over the world and visited every continent without one.)

Nannarose Tue 02-May-17 13:05:11

A 'travel mug' doesn't really replace a Thermos flask, but Cotswold do a selection of flasks, including quite a small one.

As said, they aren't spill-proof, and don't keep hot for as long. I used to take mine to work, sip my coffee whilst doing the prelim paper-work, that way I knew I'd have at least one cup of coffee during the day!

Now, it has my early morning tea in it, on the days that I leave at 06.30 on grandparent duty!

You couldn't put it in a rucksack.

wildswan16 Tue 02-May-17 17:01:21

I use a Lakeland "sip and pour flask" - It is a nice slim size and doesn't leak ever. It keeps my tea boiling hot - in fact so hot that I burnt my lips the first time I used it.

overthehill Tue 02-May-17 17:33:59

We are frugal. We travel a lot towing our caravan and DH worked out we spent roughly £34 a year on service area tea....horror! We bought a small flask and the tea tastes better if you add milk in the mug so with a travel mug unless you take the milk separately it won't taste very nice.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-May-17 17:41:30

I don't have a travel mug although we have a couple of flasks which we always forget to take with us on a journey. Must remember them when we go away in a few weeks' time - we do take water and snacks just in case we get held up anywhere.

Izabella If you're travelling in Australia again the 'Driver Reviver Sites' in Queensland are brilliant - free tea, coffee and snacks, toilets etc. The distances are so great you need a break every so often.
www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/holiday-travel/stops/reviver/index.html

Sweetpeas89 Thu 04-May-17 01:50:34

Contigo every time! Nothing compares x

overthehill Thu 04-May-17 15:22:15

After reading about leaking travel mugs we thought we'd try out two we have (never used). One was free from Screwfix and the other a gift is a Thermos. Actualy the Screwfix one lids screws on tightly but the Thermos one wouldn't screw you could keep turning the lid. Both leaked if you turned them just slightly, so back to the flask for us.

Liz46 Thu 04-May-17 15:36:54

We have two insulated mugs with lids but they leak. We used to use them for the allotment and I would put coffee and milk in the mugs, make sure we kept them upright and then topped them up with very hot water from a thermos flask.