Gransnet forums

Food

A possible diet breaker, but very good!

(31 Posts)
phoenix Fri 14-Jul-17 19:21:57

Hello all, purely in the interest of research, blush I have been testing some new products from Lidl, namely their De Luxe Mini Desserts. They are indeed mini, but that is not a bad thing, as it means that there is possibly a bit less guilt factor!

There are 3 varieties available, namely, raspberry, passionately, and chocolate.

I wasn't impressed with the raspberry, more sweet than I expected.

However, the chocolate version, and the passionfruit ones are truly delicious!

They come in a little glass pot, which after washing could either be used as a rather basic shot glass, or for various other things.

Cherrytree59 Fri 14-Jul-17 21:15:43

Sound yummy
I will have to put the little pots in the cupboard with my creme brulee little Pots and my Aldi ice-cream little potshmm

phoenix Fri 14-Jul-17 22:42:09

Must go in the fridge, Cherrytree, not cupboard!

Christinefrance Sat 15-Jul-17 09:23:51

Think Cherrytree meant when they are empty phoenix. We have saved similar pots but never use them, seems a shame to throw them out.
Desserts sound delicious, I love raspberries and choc. Will have to try them all in the interests of research you understand ?

willsmadnan Sat 15-Jul-17 09:49:04

So glad they've arrived in the UK.I used to buy them in France,the chocolate one is particularly delish! Of course,I only bought them for the little glasses.... I put LED tea lights in them (when empty)and scatter them around the room at Christmas.When I'm in a more creative mood,I use glass paint on the outside to make a stained glass effect. Pinterest has lots of examples... except they call them 'votives' rather than Lidl dessert glasses grin.

phoenix Sat 15-Jul-17 12:15:15

I love the idea of the LED tea lights!

To get a good effect, I suppose you would need quite a lot.....blush grin

hildajenniJ Sat 15-Jul-17 12:19:05

Oh, they sound lovely, but we don't have a Lidl anywhere near us.??

Cherrytree59 Sat 15-Jul-17 12:39:23

Sorry.
Did mean in the cupboard after eating sharing the desserts blush

On pintrest they mix old nail varnish with water and then dip glasses into the solution.
it makes a nice marble effect

Grannyknot Sat 15-Jul-17 17:52:33

phoenix I have had to keep a meticulous food diary because I am involved in a nutritional research programme and that meant I had to scrutinise all labels and record contents and quantities. Happily (I thought) the "lidl" desserts would look good on the page. Suffice to say that one of those tiny desserts contain a helluva lot of the bad stuff (sugar and fat) given their size shock

phoenix Sat 15-Jul-17 19:54:37

blush

glammanana Sat 15-Jul-17 21:23:00

There are some cute glass jars with youghut type desserts at the minute would make a lovely collection when empty,such a pity so many of them are full of the nasties

willsmadnan Sat 15-Jul-17 21:26:09

Oh Grannyknot lighten up shock! There comes a time (ie 74) when all this fat/sugar/alcohol watching becomes a bore. What's wrong with a treat? Do I spend my declining years nibbling on a rice cake whilst wearing a hair shirt or indulge myself? And before you pull me up on it, I don't intend to be a burden on the NHS, I've already decided I won't prolong my life with invasive treatment or medication. I'll just have the occasional treat and a nightly G&T ( or 2) and shuffle off in my own way.

Cherrytree59 Sun 16-Jul-17 00:42:40

# I Did It My Way...

Persistentdonor Sun 16-Jul-17 10:10:08

I might buy one so that I can decorate said pot, and use it to soak my daily almond ration. They are so tasty when they have been soaked for a few hours. (I soak in water, but I am sure some of you might be more inventive....wink.)
Currently I use a little plastic pot but glass would be more classy!!

Persistentdonor Sun 16-Jul-17 10:14:37

I might buy one so that I can decorate said pot, and use it to soak my daily almond ration. They are so tasty when they have been soaked for a few hours. (I soak in water, but I am sure some of you might be more inventive....wink.)
Currently I use a little plastic pot but glass would be more classy!!

harrysgran Sun 16-Jul-17 10:17:16

Lidl do a delicious creme brulee and the little glass pots have lots of uses soaking my nails when doing my home manicure is latest one

Cosafina Sun 16-Jul-17 10:36:45

Well said willsmadnan - I've decided I'm less likely to lie on my deathbed saying 'I wish I were thinner' and much more likely to lie there thinking 'Wish I'd had another Twix' grin

Blinko Sun 16-Jul-17 15:08:56

Cosafina, Willsmadnan totally agree grin

KatyK Sun 16-Jul-17 16:50:41

Lidl's De Luxe mini ice creamns (like little Magnums) are also lovely. My DH loves chocolate ice cream and swears that Lidls' is the best he's ever had.

merlotgran Sun 16-Jul-17 17:04:43

DD has just popped in with half a fresh pineapple. She's on a healthy eating kick and thought we might enjoy it for tea.

Too right we did....after I'd sliced and griddled it, added a good slosh of rum, a dash of ginger puree and a spoonful of maple syrup. grin

Calories? What calories?

Charleygirl Sun 16-Jul-17 17:18:27

phoenix I will not be popping in any time soon to sample the goodies because thankfully I do not like desserts. An icecream on a stick is the closest I will get to one.

OMG Merlotgran I am probably like your daughter and would prefer the pineapple on its own.

shysal Sun 16-Jul-17 17:32:46

I am not a great fan of yoghurts, but Asda sells some in big pots, by The Collective, which are delicious. Unfortunately they are full fat and sugar, which is probably why I can eat a whole 450gm pot over a day. The flavours are rhubarb and custard, raspberry, mango, raspberry trifle and fudge.I have tried them all over the last couple of weeks ! blush
One mini dessert would never be enough for me. Assuming the Lidl ones come as several in a pack, the others would call me from the fridge!

Grannyknot Sun 16-Jul-17 17:39:30

willsmadnan I do need to lighten up by losing about 5 kgs hmm

I'm not one of the "health police" - as I explained, I'm taking more notice than usual due to said research programme.

merlotgran Sun 16-Jul-17 17:45:50

We only have 'pud' on a Sunday if I can be bothered but today, after a long stint in the garden and feeling a bit tired and hay ferverish I considered the healthy option and thought, NAH! grin

Nanna58 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:09:04

Aldi do lovely ? little 'luxury' yoghurts, the coconut and lime and strawberry and rose are gorgeous. As are their small pistachio and ginger ice creams ( abi like mini magnums) And I kid myself I don't have a sweet tooth ! ,