Gransnet forums

Food

Online ordering of your food

(8 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 13-Aug-17 10:07:50

I like to go to the supermarket to choose my food but could not resist this . If you have never ordered from Sainsburys online register then do not use the code they send for fifteen pounds off a 60 pound spend instead , until 16th. August , use AFFVCAUG and get eighteen pounds off . I will keep my eye on the other big supermarkets to see if they offer anything similar. My loyalty to Tesco has gone now they have scrapped the Clubcard Plus account which gave me double points.

Teetime Sun 13-Aug-17 10:14:56

I shop on line with Sainsbury and have ever since it started with occasional forays into Ocado and Waitrose. Sainsbury's have over the years reduced and reduced the amount of points awarded on the Nectar card but lately have had a sudden surge of generosity. I have to say if there were a Waitrose in this town I would shop there in person each week but fat chance of that happening.

Shirleyw Mon 18-Sep-17 05:14:27

I sometimes have a tesco delivery when I don't have time to shop, or click and collect but I like to do a store shop when I can. My son works in tesco so I get discount 10% off which is good and sometimes they do a 20% off......

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 07:23:03

A few years ago, I tried - once only - to set up online shopping with Tesco. It took a lot of time to select my shop, but I got no further. My problem was they did not have a time-slot to suit me. But I do enjoy shopping and browsing the aisles and , before we moved, I would often meet up with someone I knew and spend half an hour chatting too!

Now I have a very nice, quite small Sainsburys to hand - never meet anyone I know there though - and a new Aldi has opened not far away with an M&S next door. Recently I went to both with DS2 who could not believe his eyes when he saw a cucumber for sale in M&S for £1.29 ... He had just paid 39p in Aldi ...

Anya Mon 18-Sep-17 07:37:13

Perhaps M&S pay their suppliers a decent rate? I'm not a great fan of cheap food as it's the farmers (and animals) who suffer.

We buy cheaply and, according to statistics, feel happy to waste vast amounts.

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 07:51:51

Well my 'food waste bin' is consistently pretty empty. grin

It is right to be concerned with food production ethics. Aldi and Lidl are known to pay their staff a fair living wage and are 'signed up to' 'ethical supplier' checks. M&S does very well in the ethical supplier league tables, but you have to wonder at the price disparity.

Nannarose Mon 18-Sep-17 07:52:12

Although I have no idea about cucumbers, if you look up supermarkets in Ethical Consumer, it is interesting to see that the 'discounters' score relatively well.
Personally I buy very little at supermarkets - and that is at our Co-op (large one, not 'convenience store')the only supermarket near me.

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 07:56:33

We only have a small patch of garden for growing, but we have had a bumper year. Between our own crops and MIL's allotment produce, we have been nearly self-sufficient in the veg department which has felt great. But we are suffering from 'courgette fatigue.'

Getting back to online ordering. I think the need to keep changing my order would be a bother to me. I think the control freak in me simply rebels.