Gransnet forums

Food

Hand held Blender/Blitzer

(37 Posts)
NanKate Tue 15-Aug-17 21:03:57

I am not much into cooking but saw Nadiya last night use a hand blitzer when making a strawberry jam and I fancy having a go and perhaps even make a soup.

I don't want to spend masses on the blitzer, can anyone recommend a basic one please ?

Harrydog50 Wed 16-Aug-17 23:13:21

I also have a bamix pricey but good envy of my pals

Crispy64 Thu 17-Aug-17 17:08:13

Look out for one with a metal stick, jam gets really hot.
Think the the stick blenders are one of the most useful gadgets ever invented, think milk shakes, mayo, lumpy gravy fixer.

Blinko Wed 25-Oct-17 11:33:05

I've had my Moulinex stick blender for donkeys years. Still going strong. Damn, now I've said that, it will probably give up the ghost....

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 12:52:17

I have this minute just whizzed up the lunch time soup - I find mine invaluable for stuff like that as it can be done on the pot in which you’ve cooked your soup without all the faffing about.

JackyB Wed 25-Oct-17 14:43:05

I was first introduced to these when au pairing in France as a gel - way back.

Now, the French have a very laid back attitude to making cakes, and the lady of the house used a chocolate cake recipe involving melted chocolate She would mix through with the stick blender to get the lumps out of the flour.

I use one for lots of things, too, these days - the nice thing is they fit into a coffee mug and can be used to whip up one single egg for brushing the tops of pies. I even stir my cocoa with it! I think I got it free with coupons from somewhere.

CherryHatrick Wed 25-Oct-17 15:30:52

I still smile when I use mine and remember the Two Fat Ladies calling theirs the "kitchen vibrator".

Fennel Wed 25-Oct-17 17:03:30

I have one, and I wish someone would tell me how to use it without splattering stuff all around.

Blinko Wed 25-Oct-17 17:09:45

Fennel, I find using a tall, deep receptacle prevents splashes.

Fennel Wed 25-Oct-17 17:12:02

Thanks Blinko, I'll try that next time .

JackyB Wed 25-Oct-17 20:52:30

Mine came with a shield which you can put it through which then rests on the top of the receptacle you are mixing in. Otherwise just make sure the blades are well under the surface before you switch on and throughout the mixing.

shipgoverness Tue 26-Nov-19 05:56:01

As far my knowledge is concerned, you can go with black and decker blender which works absolutely fine and I can tell you out of my personal experience.