Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite apple puddings?

(38 Posts)
Imperfect27 Tue 22-Aug-17 09:02:17

I was given a bag of cooking apples at the weekend and now find I need to make a pudding for a family meal tonight.

I watched Nadyia Hussain's Food Journeys last night and she made what looked like a delicious cinnamon flapjack
apple crumble so thought I would give it a go:

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/flapjack_cinnamon_apple_32656

I know I haven't got all the ingredients to hand, but I rarely follow a recipe to the letter and it will probably be a case of what is in the larder that can make an approximate flapjack recipe ...

Also made me wonder, what would YOU do with a bag of cooking apples? My bag is open to suggestions ... smile

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/flapjack_cinnamon_apple_32656

Gagagran Thu 24-Aug-17 10:31:57

Tricia and Imperfect27 my Mum used to give us grated apple after an upset tummy. She was told by a friend of hers who had been a nurse (old school), that this was the best remedy.

My DC loved it and now my DGC do too - not even for upset tums either - just as a snack.

Imperfect27 Thu 24-Aug-17 09:49:44

That's interesting Tricia. I read somewhere that apple is very gentle on the stomach and since then it has become a starting point for me if I have had tummy troubles. It does seem to help settle the system.

TriciaF Thu 24-Aug-17 09:40:13

Not a pudding, but I've just thought of another use for cooking apples.
When our children were young a friend told me that for diarrhea she gives her children grated cooking apple, left to go brown.
Sounds strange!

Auntieflo Wed 23-Aug-17 23:00:58

Imperfect, so glad that you enjoyed the pud. It's one of our favourites. Had lunch with friends today and had the offer of some blackberries that I can't resist.

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 08:32:37

Post-pudding - Well, thank you Auntieflo, that was a lovely recommendation! More lemony than I expected and I think I would use 4oz of oats next time too for an extra bit of crunch. The cinnamon that I shussed in last-minute worked nicely though - and we still have a couple of portions left for today.

Thnaks all for the great suggestions - the nicest of dilemmas now is what to make with the leftover apples next time! grin

shysal Tue 22-Aug-17 22:35:41

I nearly tempted myself to make some Jalima but resisted! However I have removed the recipe from my file and put it in the kitchen. I see lots of fallen Bramleys when I walk in the mornings so will probably pick some up soon.

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 17:26:02

shysal they look a bit like the apples baked in pastry that my mum used to make although I don't remember the syrup, just lovely custard, and she cut out a couple of leaves for the top of each (very artistic!).

I could really really eat one now.

Norah Tue 22-Aug-17 17:22:09

I make quite a nice apple bread pudding. The basic ingredients are always in the larder. Chop apples to add to the mix and make additional applesauce to replace some of the oil. Also use applesauce to reduce with Calvados for a topping.

Welshwife Tue 22-Aug-17 17:07:50

I also do baked apples stuffed with mincemeat in the winter - I then use large Granny Smiths as cannot get Bramleys in the shops here. The GS are good for portion size!

Welshwife Tue 22-Aug-17 17:06:08

All this talk of Bramleys! I have been over to my tree and the apples are I think ready to use but nothing like as large as normal. I think it is lack of rain earlier in the year. There are masses of apples but tiddlers! I intend to do a cinnamon apple crumble tomorrow evening.
When he was young and DGS came for Sunday lunch he would get inside the front door and sniff - I was not so popular if no cinnamon smell was detected! I usually made two desserts so the others had a choice.
We have decided to do a big pruning on all the apple trees as lots of them have copious apples but mainly small ones -not lovely big ones as normal - but a number of the trees are now too big.

mumofmadboys Tue 22-Aug-17 16:59:47

BlackBerry and Apple crumble

annsixty Tue 22-Aug-17 16:51:32

Don't tell the food police but last Wednesday I went to Sainsbury's with the promise of a lift back with my shopping.
My lift rang me to say she had been held up and would be late..
I went into the cafe and had a drink and the most delicious jam doughnut I have ever tasted. It cost 60p and I am still washing the sugar out of my black trousers

Imperfect27 Tue 22-Aug-17 16:11:40

Well, it lloks and smells fandabby - in a 'soggy in just the right way in the centre' sort of way.

I am reminded of my first ever job, working in a bank opposite a very nice bakery which I frequented with colleagues. One day my friend asked the counter assistant ' Are your apple doughnuts soggy?'
'Oh no madam, they are light as anything.'
'In that case I don't want one!' my friend replied. grin

Baggs Tue 22-Aug-17 16:07:33

I find 4,4,4 too claggy too, imperfect, so I put 4oz rolled oats in too.

shysal Tue 22-Aug-17 16:03:38

These apple dumplings are lovely, cooked in syrup.

www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-apple-dumplings

My mother also made an apple pasty with cheddar grated on the top, a family favourite.

Imperfect27 Tue 22-Aug-17 14:04:13

Sooooo...apple crumble is cooking. Auntieflo's recipe. We will overlook the fact that I only had about a tablespoon of mincemeat left and I forgot to put the cinnamon into the crumble mixture and then had to sprinkle it on and shusssh it around a bit on the top ...
I found I needed 8oz of flour as it was too claggy as a 4,4,4, mixture ...BUT, it is IN!

So many good ideas and recipes here. I never used to write recipes down, but am beginning to compile my own favourites as they are spread over several cookbooks, some dating back over 35 years ... I figure the family might want them all in one place one day smile

lemongrove Tue 22-Aug-17 13:31:41

Just cooked a load of Bramleys from the tree, now have enough apple crumble and tarts to withstand a siege, should be ever have one, can't let fruit go to waste.?

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 12:04:26

I usually bake more than two at a time Lindylo , enough for two or three meals, then warm them gently in the microwave.
Nice with Cornish custard too.

Lindylo Tue 22-Aug-17 11:57:31

I love a good old fashioned baked apple stuffed with dried fruit and topped with vanilla ice cream.

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:56:26

My mother used to peel and core large Bramleys then wrap them in pastry, put a couple of pastry leaves on each one then bake in the oven. They were delicious.

Apple slices roasted with pork?

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:54:09

Has anyone tried the ready made gluten free pastry? My home-made was a disaster and no-one wants a broken tooth.

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:52:50

Unless it's the weekend then we usually eat them baked and stuffed with raisins - delicious and very simple.

If we weren't both trying to lose weight I would make Tarte Tatin, Dorset Apple Cake, Eve's Pudding and DH's favourite- Apple Crumble!

I ate a Bramley raw yesterday when I was chopping them up for the freezer.
They do freeze well, I cut them into a bowl of water with lemon juice in it and even if they do discolour a bit it disappears when they are cooked.

Baggs Tue 22-Aug-17 11:31:45

Not a pudding but good: mash some stewed apple with potato. You can add some grated cheese too and then bake or put under grill for a little while if everything is still hot.

TriciaF Tue 22-Aug-17 11:27:50

I sometimes make a typical '60s recipe - Apple Snow.
Stew the apples as usual, add egg yolks. Pour into a greased baking dish and top with the egg whites whipped stiffly, plus a little sugar.
Bake in a medium oven until golden.
When I was pregnant I used to eat raw Bramleys.

Imperfect27 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:22:39

Oooh flo - I have all of those ingredients! I scrumped pears from a nearby tree earlier in the week grin and I know I have a leftover jar of mincemeat ... all I need is the lemons so I really should stir my stumps and get out and about ... just dawdling this morning!