Gransnet forums

Food

Pears with ... ?

(11 Posts)
Imperfect27 Tue 05-Sep-17 09:25:04

Decided to make a 'last-minute' pear crumble yesterday and remembered DH does not like cinnamon. Flavoured pears by cooking them in butter, brown sugar and half a teaspoon of crushed cardamom seeds - thinking 'kill or cure' as it was the first time I have used this other than in curries, but so pleased as it gave a really lovely flavour and I will definitely use it again.

DH doesn't like cinnamon or cloves which used to be my 'go to' ingredients for autumn fruity puddings.

Do you have any 'easy' alternatives that you add to pears / apples for a burst of flavour?

Teetime Tue 05-Sep-17 09:36:16

Berries of all kinds go well- we like apple and raspberry- there are some very good quality frozen packs of fruit in most supermarkets you could add a sprinkle of those .

Cherrytree59 Tue 05-Sep-17 09:57:39

One of my favourites pear and gingersmile

Katek Tue 05-Sep-17 12:52:06

Poach whole pears in American Cream Soda.....delicious.

Imperfect27 Tue 05-Sep-17 12:56:23

Wow Katek, I have never hard of that one!

Thanks all x

JackyB Tue 05-Sep-17 12:57:57

Raisins or sultanas? Flaked almonds? Chopped cashews? A dash of Calvados or cognac or similar?

Pears are sometimes served with Marsala or chocolate sauce - perhaps some Tia Maria or a chocolate liqueur?

Blackberries, mint leaves, lavender, dry white wine?

I'm just brainstorming really - haven't tried any of these. DH doesn't like hot puddings (it's a continental thing). Best to go with the tried and tested above.

Lindylo Tue 05-Sep-17 13:12:44

Caramel sauce is really nice when added to a poached pear.

TriciaF Tue 05-Sep-17 14:03:51

Pears poached in blackcurrant juice and/or red wine.
I've tried that once or twice, good idea if you have some not-so-perfect pears.
It's reminded me - a friend has a pear tree covered with fruit just about ready to eat.

midgey Tue 05-Sep-17 14:05:03

Why not just pears?

Imperfect27 Thu 07-Sep-17 11:57:44

Lost sight of this over the past day or so ...

Well, we have a lot of pears to hand midgey and having just started to emerge from 'Courgettes with everything', I feel in need of a bit more variety grin.

Norah Thu 07-Sep-17 14:18:59

I poach pears in red wine, nutmeg and brown sugar. Reduce the liquid after the pears are done, top chilled pears with the liquid, add chocolate sauce or shaved.