Gransnet forums

Food

Chips!

(30 Posts)
Kateykrunch Fri 08-Sep-17 19:51:13

We had oven chips with a meal yesterday and we both thought they were very tasteless and we starting hankering after good old proper homemade chips, you know the ones, real potatoes!! So, I am looking at little deep fat fryers, one nice and cheap in Argos, reviews say its smashing, but, some say they are confused that the instructions state to use it with the lid up, now wouldn't that just be like using an ordinary chip pan? Any recommendations?, I know, I know, chips and fat, but hey, it will only be once a month (err okay then, week).

Ilovecheese Fri 08-Sep-17 19:58:24

Why not just go to the chippy once a week? Save all that cleaning out of the deep fat fryer.

Nanabilly Fri 08-Sep-17 20:08:01

I do ours in a wok. Chip dryers take up extra space that we don't have.

CherryHatrick Fri 08-Sep-17 20:10:36

Deep fat fryers are usually made to be used with oil; proper chips need to be made in a proper open chip pan with beef dripping or lard as the frying medium. grin

Liz46 Fri 08-Sep-17 20:18:47

We use an Actifry, Maris Piper or King Edwards and a small amount of rapeseed oil. You rinse the starch off the chips, dry them thoroughly and then cook - very good.

My stepgrandchildren stayed with us for a few days. I didn't notice them watching me make chips but when their mother collected them a couple of days later they both ran towards her saying 'nanny Liz made chips OUT OF POTATOES!'

Obviously they are supposed to come out of a plastic bag in the freezer and the children had no idea that they are made from potatoes.

paddyann Fri 08-Sep-17 20:24:56

I always use my fryer with the lid up ,otherwise they can overheat ,its much safer to fry without a lid on.

lemongrove Fri 08-Sep-17 20:32:56

You can make good home cooked chips in the oven, slice and cut thinly, place on a baking sheet and brush with oil, salt if wanted ( I always want it) and cook for 20 mins in high heat.No risk of kitchen fires that way.

POGS Fri 08-Sep-17 20:37:46

I juyst use a big stainless steel saucepan that has two handles , sunflower oil and Motzart or Marfona spuds.

Chips. Can't beat um.

tanith Fri 08-Sep-17 21:14:14

OH loves homemade chips and we have a small cheap deep fat fryer from Argos it works great. I used it at first with lid down but I find that the chips are crispier if I leave the lid up. Always use Maris Piper potatoes.

Daddima Wed 13-Sep-17 14:30:17

Golden Wonder or Cyprus potatoes, soaked in cold water, then fried in beef dripping till soft. Take them out, and heat the dripping till it's really hot, then plunge the chips in till they're golden & crispy.
Delicious.

kittylester Wed 13-Sep-17 14:52:32

I use a proper chip pan on the cooker - like in the olden days! blush

Teetime Wed 13-Sep-17 15:22:17

I do oven wedges - cut up baking potatoes in big thick chips, par boil, then roast in hot oven with small amount of light olive oil.

Kateykrunch Sun 17-Sep-17 14:02:47

Thanks for your tips, I do the wedges and they are always successful, I tried the chips on baking sheet, but they came out a bit greasy/soggy. I am tempted by the £12 Asda Deep Fat Fryer, but wondering if I need any more stuff in the kitchen cupboard. It would mean rearranging the egg boiler, omelette maker, sandwich toaster, bread maker, spirolizer, salad spinner to make space (btw....I AM JOKING! - or am I).

silverlining48 Sun 17-Sep-17 14:12:08

As teetime. Peel ( or leave skin on) slice potato into whatever shape, wedge or chinky. put in micro for a minute or quick par boil. Into a hot oven with seasoning to taste, a couple of sprays of one spray oil ( thats one calorie each spray) and bake til golden brown. Turning mid way. 20 minutes or so. Delicious and no calorie guilt as slimming wirkd recommend it.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Sep-17 14:12:54

Chunky! Typo

silverlining48 Sun 17-Sep-17 14:13:32

Slimming world typo

M0nica Sun 17-Sep-17 19:39:27

I shallow fry chips and find that works jut as well as a deep-fat fryer, you just need to keep turning them.

But I find the easiest thing to do is buy them from the chip shop, keep them in the freezer until required and reheat in the oven. Twice fried chips just like those served in all the best restaurants grin

BlueBelle Sun 17-Sep-17 19:46:28

I do home chips in oven like you Lemongrove but I chop into chips then parboil first for a few mins then just a fraction of oil in the hot oven they are tasty

Parsleywin Sun 17-Sep-17 19:55:33

You're all making me hungry!!
Can I ask tho, what do people do with the used oil after deep frying a load of yummy chips?

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Sep-17 22:32:06

I don't cook them for myself now. When I feel a chip binge coming on I have double egg and the most superb chips at the pub where I go for knitting club.
These chips come out very crisp with a lovely clean taste. I have no idea of the variety, probably frozen, but it seems they are always done in clean oil.

KatyK Tue 19-Sep-17 11:10:46

It's oven chips for us unfortunately, due to the fact that I left the chip pan on years ago and burned most of the kitchen down blush

hildajenniJ Tue 19-Sep-17 11:19:56

I peel the potatoes, cut them into chunky chips, toss in a tablespoon of rapeseed oil and bake in the oven until golden brown, turning half way through. Sometimes I add salt, pepper and paprika, or chilli powder for a spicy change. Yummy.

glammanana Tue 19-Sep-17 11:43:35

Do mine the same as hildaj and they always turn out delish,for a special treat I will buy M&S thrice cooked chips always very good but expensive,you can buy 5lbs of potatoes for the price they charge for them

Baggs Tue 19-Sep-17 13:02:14

i do the same too except I don't peel the spuds and I use lard. They are always delicious.

spottysocks Sun 24-Sep-17 11:53:14

Just seen this thread, kateykcunch I have the said deep fat fryer from Asda and absolutely love it! Best to use Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes, chip, wash and dry throughly on a tea towel first the chips come out really crispy. I have tried the so called oven sort and it's just not the same.