Gransnet forums

Food

Danger - Man at Work!

(29 Posts)
TriciaF Tue 19-Sep-17 11:30:13

I was having a bit of a moan at OH because of all the food preparations for one of our festivals (NewYear etc.) He said I'll help - what can I do?
So I allocated him one cooking job. He's turned it into a major industrial production. Enough to feed an army. Of course I had to go to the shops for the extra ingredients etc.
They're so different hmm

NonnaW Thu 21-Sep-17 09:54:07

I am very lucky as my DH does all the cooking now, as he finds it very relaxing, and he also clears up as he goes along. I do still occasionally cook something, just to keep my hand it, and he will then insist on clearing up after me. I have to say he makes a better job of it than me. I do the baking, in the main, though he makes great scones and rock cakes!

DanniRae Thu 21-Sep-17 09:01:10

My husband cooks our dinner every Saturday evening and mine is always the same thing: Fish Cakes (bought), oven chops and frozen peas AND I LOVE IT! If there are good programmes on tv I sit and watch in very happy anticipation and wait for my meal. It will be very 'Happy Days' this coming Saturday as "Strictly" starts grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 21-Sep-17 08:48:27

It's not just the difference between men and women - my MIL was like this. After eating, DH, FIL and BIL would enter the kitchen cautiously as it resembled a bomb site. The thought of the ghastly washing-up afterwards was almost enough to put them off the meal.
FIL excused the mess by saying that she learned to cook in the WRNS and therefore always had an 'underling' to whip away each spoon, say after use. Therefore why use one spoon it you can get away with six? MIL's belief was that the cook didn't wash up.
I was taught at school to clean up as you go along. She thought that I was daft.

Thebeeb Thu 21-Sep-17 07:01:47

Mine has NEVER even read a recipe and probably doesn't even know what the words means. But I only properly cook on high days and holidays too. So no problem.

Caro1954 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:04:20

Mine said, "I'll make supper for you tonight". It was leftovers from the meal I'd made last night! Bless him, he tries! wink

NameChange2016 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:46:49

Shana Tova to those celebrating Jewish New Year 5778

Aepgirl Wed 20-Sep-17 13:31:59

Just be grateful that a) you have a partner, and b) he wants to help. Many would give their eye-teeth to have someone to clear up after.

inishowen Wed 20-Sep-17 12:00:46

This hits a nerve with me. DH adores cooking and creates the most lavish feasts when we invite family over. He won't cook one hot dish, he'll do three. He'll also do a cold buffet. I find it all too much and I think it puts the family off inviting us back. They can't compete with him. As for clearing up, and doing the shopping, that's down to me.

TriciaF Wed 20-Sep-17 11:45:30

Replies have cheered me up!
Well he made good job of his task (recipe followed to the letter etc) and he does always clear up afterwards.
And while I was out this morning he made a chocolate brownie. So I can't complain.
I don't intend to be 'manbashing', shortlegs, and it was good of him to help. But what would his reaction be if I insisted on going into his workshop and using all his precious tools etc? Though some women can do those things.
I say, each to his own. Mind drifting -- what about male chefs?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:06:26

DH and I work at the same speed in the kitchen, so there is no problem there. And yes, I do know how lucky I am.

What drives me batty is the fact that even my very competent DH will start some DIY job, which will then take much longer time than he estimated AND he will never move anything that is in his way before starting!

Over the years I have learned to move things, before letting him or any other man loose with tools anywhere around the house.

Need I say that experience has taught me to volunteer to do the cleaning up afterwards as well?Not grumbling about that, as it is really only fair, as I am hopeless with tools.

gillyknits Wed 20-Sep-17 10:55:44

I hate thinking what to have and if DH would only make suggestions instead of 'I don't mind' I'd be very happy. Happier still if he took over all of it ! I'd have to stay out of the kitchen though.

W11girl Wed 20-Sep-17 10:24:28

Same here!!

Nonnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:19:49

DH cooks unless it is Christmas or other special occasion. He always washes up as I apparently load the dishwasher wrongly. I never comment on his cooking unless it is to praise and it works well for us. I used to do all the cooking but now I do the heavier jobs which he seems unable to get round to.

I admit that when he goes out I often give the kitchen a good clean!

Musicelf Wed 20-Sep-17 10:14:04

My husband loves to cook, and he washes up as he goes along. He doesn't add salt when I would, and he follows a recipe to the letter and minute, but I appreciate the fact that he does it. When he cooks, I wash up what's left, and vice-versa. I do the majority of the cooking, but twice a week the kitchen is his.

Esspee Wed 20-Sep-17 10:11:16

I used to feel that one cooking and the other washing up was a fair division of labour but when OH cooks every pot and pan is used, the kitchen is a total disaster area and we have enough leftovers for a week. Nowadays cooking and washing up are one job and we alternate days. He still cannot fathom why after dinner when I cook there are only the plates for me to wash up.

maryhoffman37 Wed 20-Sep-17 10:04:00

I do most of the cooking but my husband is perfectly competent to cook and does so one or two nights a week. Whoever cooks, he does all the washing up of things that don't go in the dishwasher and all the clearing up. I just don't recognise the scenarios above.

Shortlegs Wed 20-Sep-17 10:03:37

A bit of man bashing going on here.

Auntieflo Wed 20-Sep-17 08:35:08

It's not until the chaps start cooking, that you discover how many pots, pans and forgotten utensils, you have, when they leave the kitchen like a war zone.

granfromafar Tue 19-Sep-17 20:13:39

Good Yom Tov TriciaF. At least he offered! Mine doesn't do cooking, just asks 'what's for tea/dinner? He does help with clearing away though, mainly wiping up!

merlotgran Tue 19-Sep-17 19:52:00

We have a good system chez merlot. He preps, I cook.

The washing up goes in what he likes to call, The White Elephant! hmm

That's because he doesn't believe in dishwashers, preferring to watch the little woman slaving away at the kitchen sink while gritting her teeth.....then when it's all done he says, 'Would you like a hand with that?'

The White Elephant broke down last month. DH went fishing. The new elephant (also white) was delivered and fitted by the time he returned. grin

Greyduster Tue 19-Sep-17 19:37:04

If my DH offered to cook food for Christmas or New Year we would need a full twelve months from the minute he picked up a knife. Recipes have to be followed to the letter. Each vegetable and piece of meat must be cut into precise, even sized pieces; if it calls for dice, you could grow very old watching him prepare them! Timings followed to the second, and if you say "but it's not cooked yet" it throws him into the utmost confusion. Watching him cook turns me into a demented, frustrated wreck! Life is too short.

Imperfect27 Tue 19-Sep-17 14:58:13

Tricia my DH has really taken over in the kitchen on week days. This used to suit me when I worked until 6:30, but now drives me batty sometimes. He has different tastes to me so when he cooks he leaves tomatoes out or puts in far more pepper / paprika than I want. trouble is, I was so grateful in the beginning when it suited our lifestyles that I just kept quiet about 'little' things. I have offered to cook and when I do I usually batch bake so we have at least two days of my preferences ha ha.
Not quite WW3 and he does love 'his space' in the kitchen, but ...

Scribbles Tue 19-Sep-17 14:56:08

jollyg, I expect TriciaF is referring to New Year 5778 which begins tomorrow at sunset. Shanah Tovah to those celebrating.
My OH is just the same - can't produce cold meat and salad without using every plate and utensil in the kitchen.

lemongrove Tue 19-Sep-17 14:44:47

It's the difference between men and women, one of the many.
women multi task, men concentrate on one job at a time, and yes, it does take them longer.?

Nonnie Tue 19-Sep-17 14:33:16

I keep trying to explain to DH that if a job takes him an hour but the same job only takes me 10 minutes, it is not a bigger job when he does it!