Gransnet forums

Food

Low sugar sponge cake recipe?

(11 Posts)
SparklyGrandma Thu 21-Sep-17 16:42:32

Dear fellow Gransnetters,

Has anyone got and used successfully a lower sugar content sponge cake recipe?

I am diabetic and love cake but want to try making one that's not so sweetened.

Thank you.

Primrose65 Thu 21-Sep-17 17:36:33

I find I can halve the sugar used in most Nigella recipes for cake/muffins and they're still great - works out around 5g added sugar per muffin.

SparklyGrandma Fri 22-Sep-17 10:00:42

Oo thank you for that Primrose65, will have a go at one of her recipes for cake....

Primrose65 Fri 22-Sep-17 10:05:21

I can recommend her Christmas muffins - I've made them with half the sugar and they're fab.
www.nigella.com/recipes/christmas-morning-muffins

I prefer making muffins to a large cake as they are ready-made portions and it's easier to work out how much you've eaten grin

SparklyGrandma Sat 23-Sep-17 12:41:25

Ooo thank you Primrose65 yes I agree about portions being easier to assess and countt. Thank you for the recipe link.

Primrose65 Sat 23-Sep-17 12:59:24

Let me know how you get on SparklyGrandma and if you find any great low-sugar cake recipes. I'm always careful with sugar - diabetes seems to hit everyone in my family but I've managed to dodge the bullet so far.

Another tip I can pass on is using Skyr when cooking cakes. I find I can use it 50/50 with buttermilk or yoghurt in recipes and it makes no difference to the taste or texture but adds protein and reduces sugar.

Mapleleaf Sat 23-Sep-17 21:02:07

Hi SparklyGrandma, I often reduce the sugar content by half or sometimes one third when making cakes and it doesn't seem to affect the flavour or consistency. Just give it a try and see what you think. Hope this helps. ?

Baggs Sat 23-Sep-17 21:31:50

Perhaps make tea breads instead of actual cake?

NotTooOld Sat 23-Sep-17 21:52:08

Yes, I only put in just over half of the sugar in the recipe and it's fine. Tea breads are lovely but don't they usually have as much sugar in as cake? Oh, if only cake was good for us.

TriciaF Sun 24-Sep-17 09:42:37

I've seen recipes that substitute apple purée for the sugar, but never tried it.
For a light sponge it could make it too wet.

SparklyGrandma Tue 26-Sep-17 01:18:46

Thankyou * Mapleleaf* I will try that.

Thank you too, NotTooOld