Gransnet forums

Food

Hamper for 25/12/17

(18 Posts)
ninathenana Tue 03-Oct-17 13:25:52

My dear friend has invited H, S and I to stay with them over Ch.......s
Any recommendations for a hamper we can have delivered to them or take with us please.

annsixty Tue 03-Oct-17 14:17:29

How exciting nina.
Lots of retailers like M&S, John Lewis to name 2 do hampers but it is so much better to make up your own by buying a wicker shopping basket and getting luxury food stuff and a couple of bottles of wine.
You will find ready ones very expensive and often contain unwanted items.

ninathenana Tue 03-Oct-17 14:22:17

I think your right annsixty having scoured the net I kept asking myself "why have they included that" ?
Crisps and popcorn in a luxury hamper, no thanks.

Maggiemaybe Tue 03-Oct-17 14:24:58

I'd say not specifically festive stuff because they'll have got all of that baked/bought and will have had more than enough of it by the time you go home and they start using the hamper.

I'm assuming you're putting your own together? How about speciality coffees/teas/hot chocolate, preserves, chutney, nuts, a small box of top end chocolates, booze if they like it. Things that are a bit out of the ordinary.

If you're wanting something ready-made, there are lots of shops that can oblige. I don't know where you're from, or where your friends live, but if you're from different areas, some of your local specialities might be nice. If I was in that position for example, I'd probably go for something from Botham's - they do some really inventive ones, including some with Whitby kippers! - or Betty's.

Cherrytree59 Tue 03-Oct-17 15:01:04

Our local farm shop has various sized wicker baskets that would be suitable for use afterwards.
They basket could be lined with a festive tea towel.
You know your friend best.
A favourite tipple, a little wooden cheese board and knife (last year a local xmas fete had some with a cute wooden mouse) with some nice cheese and port.
What about adding a silly game or cards.
For me I would looking for the liquor chocssmile

Eloethan Tue 03-Oct-17 15:20:27

I too think it's better to make up your own hamper. The ones that are already made up usually contain some strange things that very few people actually like.

My friend and I worked in the same firm thirty years ago. We still meet up and sometimes laugh about her rather miserly boss. One year, he and the other partners received a hamper from one of our rich clients. He duly took it home, removed the things he and his wife liked, and gave the three remaining oddities - which included, if I remember correctly, pineapple in creme de methe - to my friend!

Greyduster Tue 03-Oct-17 15:32:16

I used to do this for our adult children, and Ann is right - much better to make your own. I think the ones you buy are a full of things no-one wants to eat. I used to use things like jars of fruit in alcohol, farmhouse cheese and good crackers, liquer chocolates and/or mints, vacuum packed smoke salmon or trout (I'd love someone to give me one with kippers in, Maggie), a bottle of good wine, good quality Florentines, any number of things you could use that would be more welcome than some of the things in the ready made ones. Tailor it to what you know she likes.

ninathenana Tue 03-Oct-17 15:49:23

I knew the new M&S food shop in the next town would come in handy smile Will need to set myself a budget before I go in.
We are from different counties Maggiemaybe but there are no local specialities here that I can think of. Nice idea though.

Teetime Tue 03-Oct-17 15:54:23

Carluccios and Jamie's Italian do some nice food gifts/hampers if you want something different. There's always Fortnums of course

CassieJ Tue 03-Oct-17 17:51:42

I put together a hamper for my parents last year. I wanted to put things in it that I knew would be used, so many hampers have stuff in them which will never be used.

I included a small bottle of red wine for my dad, some nice soaps and candles. A puzzle book for my mum and nice goodies like chocolates and crackers. I also made a mini Christmas cake to go in it.
Hampers don't have to include just food. It's nice to have other things too

Tegan2 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:57:11

Going off topic but saw on Facebook an idea to do an advent box to take to a food bank; we thought we could do it as a family so the children could realise that so many people have far less than they have.Probably an old idea but I hadnt heard of it before.

grannyactivist Tue 03-Oct-17 20:54:50

Aldi's have Christmas hampers available for pre-order this year and the quality has apparently been likened to that of Fortnum & Mason's.
www.aldi.co.uk/c/wines/hampers-gift-boxes

Menopaws Tue 03-Oct-17 22:37:55

Put together your choice of food and drink and sit it amongst tissue paper in a nice box, better value, more personal and better appreciated than commercial ones

mumofmadboys Wed 04-Oct-17 07:44:46

I bought one from Lakeland last year which I was pleased with.

jusnoneed Wed 04-Oct-17 07:59:52

I make one up for my Dad, I start buying bits and pieces a few weeks before christmas to spread the cost. Not anything fancy, just some nice stuff that I know he likes but wouldn't pick up for himself.
Get a strong box and cover it with nice paper.

Jane10 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:49:59

I was going to say that too. Wicker hampers are expensive and end up gathering dust. I get a cardboard box and cut it to a good shape for displaying the contents and cover it in festive paper and decorations.

glammanana Wed 04-Oct-17 08:58:14

The enjoyment of making your own hamper is very heart warming and I would go down that route for your friend she will appreciate your time and effort.
A selection of nice cheeses on a board from any good supermarket with posh crackers and a good Port/chutney/after dinner mints/sugared almonds/pate and smoked salmon.

annsixty Wed 04-Oct-17 09:02:47

I have thought about this and what I would like to receive as a personal gift.
Jars of fruit in liqueurs
One box of good chocolate biscuits
One box of expensive truffles.
One good red wine
One good white wine
One bottle of Champagne
If it were to be hand delivered
One pack of smoked salmon with small pack of blinds.
One smoked duck breast.
I could go on but I will have broken someone's present budget with that.