Gransnet forums

Food

Microwave cooking

(34 Posts)
Teetime Fri 13-Oct-17 15:43:26

I had just had to reluctantly replace our microwave cooker (bits were falling off). I say reluctantly as I never/rarely use it preferring conventional cooking. DH uses it for his porridge in the morning and won't be without one - I would quite happily it takes up precious work surface and I cant see the point of it. Can anyone convince me that its worth the space it takes up and the £45 I have just paid for it?

Teetime Wed 18-Oct-17 09:09:49

Thank you for all the tips - I do cook fish in it but I don't use the defrost at all as I'm worried about the food safety angle. I'm going to try vegetables in kit. I seem to remember I used to cook them in a bag which saved washing up saucepans and they wert waterlogged. I still resent the room it takes up on the work top and their is nowhere else for it to go. If I'm ever widowed it will still be the first thing in the skip. grin

shysal Wed 18-Oct-17 09:13:53

As I have a small kitchen, the microwave doubles as a bread bin! It is a nuisance having to empty it every time I want to use it though.

Auntieflo Wed 18-Oct-17 19:38:49

Shysal, sounds like a chap I saw on TV last night. He doesn't cook, so his pristine oven is used to store his wine smile

nannyof4 Fri 20-Oct-17 21:09:20

Yes i only use mine for reheating or making scrambled eggs,and also its good for starting baked spuds before i put them in main oven as they come out nice and fluffy.

Daisyboots Fri 20-Oct-17 21:11:40

Shysal that reminds me that, two days after our housesitters left last month, my husband opened the microwave to heat his milk for coffee and found 2 stale loaves of bread.

judylow Fri 20-Oct-17 21:47:44

I could live without one but handy for quick jacket potatoes, frozen peas, reheating tea, heating ready meals and probably most of all warming up my wheat bag. Tried cauliflower (as recommended above) the other day which worked well. One of my daughters talked me out of doing without one many years ago and it has just become part of the kitchen equipment.

robbienut Sat 21-Oct-17 15:25:22

I don't have one and don't want one either. I prefer to cook from scratch and if we do have ready meals it only takes 25 minutes to cook them in the oven. We have enough other stuff taking up worktop space!

Willow500 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:45:30

When we had the kitchen replaced last year they had to remove my very old combination microwave which I used on a daily basis as it wouldn't fit in the new units - we bought a small built in ones which I hate, It's not big enough to even get a plate in so I bought a new combi a few weeks ago to use in the utility room which I love. It has no turntable and 2 shelves so great for oven use but I use the microwave for all sorts - reheating, cooking, defrosting. The one in the kitchen is ok for heating a bowl of peas!