Gransnet forums

Food

Is the Sunday roast tradition dying?

(91 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 22-Oct-17 07:36:18

When I was feeding a 'household' we nearly always had a Sunday roast - even in the summer.

Now DH and I live more quietly and often it is just us on a Sunday so we don't bother with a roast then. We enjoy all sorts of different 'foods of the world' Sunday by Sunday. The roast is certainly not the be all and end all of meal choices anymore.

With so many different types of food to tempt us - and Sunday perhaps being a day when people have a little more time to cook and therefore experiment, I do wonder if the concept of Sunday roast as a 'tradition' is fading.

What do you think?

MinniesMum Sun 22-Oct-17 11:04:25

Alima
There are just the two of us here too and there is a leg of lamb in the oven right now. The smell of garlic and rosemary is wafting up the stairs and I am so HUNGRY.
I want plenty of leftovers as we have a lot to do in the garden this week so cold meat and salad, sandwiches and maybe a shepherd's pie if there is enough left.
I only do this when I know we are going to have a busy week aead.

CardiffJaguar Sun 22-Oct-17 11:15:49

You cannot better a home cooked roast of beef, yorkshire pud, pots and veg, but why keep it for Sundays? We tend to have it on any day my wife feels is right for it. So while the Sunday tradition may have changed the roast is still here to stay.

dogsmother Sun 22-Oct-17 11:16:03

Lamb today, almost every Sunday something or other in the hope of bribing the offspring in to join us ?

David1968 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:27:16

Just two of us here & we rarely have a roast unless we've guests. DH is the cook and produces delicious meals, many of which are "one pot" dishes. Today's an exception; he's doing a pot roast, because we bought a nice bit of beef at a "reduced" price.

fiorinda Sun 22-Oct-17 11:27:27

Sometimes we have a roast dinner on a Sunday, sometimes we don't, I feel it gets too commonplace if you have it every week. Sometimes we have it on another day of the week, depending on whether I'm working or not. We're having lamb today though. We don't have roast dinners at all in December though, until Christmas, that's always been my rule, so that we can look forward to the best one of the year (and we now have our Christmas dinner on Boxing Day, to make Christmas day easier for everyone - daughter and partner and kids stay home, son is at his dad's, my husband and I usually have lobster or similar, then everyone comes to us on Boxing day!)

chrissie13 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:34:30

No, not for a long long time, although we do have midweek roasts sometimes.

Greengage Sun 22-Oct-17 11:35:27

Love a Sunday roast though now on my own, only do one occasionally. Last cooked one in August when my son and girlfriend were staying - they love my roasts. Don't normally like roasts in pubs or restaurants but enjoyed Welsh lamb in Wales last weekend while away with my daughter and family.

chrissyh Sun 22-Oct-17 11:36:38

When the DC left home we still had a roast for years and suddenly wondered why we went to all the bother for just two of us. We now only have a roast when the family come over and it has to be lamb. Pa does the cooking and his roast dinners are legendary.

Cosafina Sun 22-Oct-17 11:40:39

I live alone and faithfully have a roast every Sunday cos I love a good roast! I have lamb, pork or chicken, but unfortunately can’t have beef because even the tiniest joint a) cooks too quickly in the middle (I like it a little rare) and b) then lasts for weeks!

Sheilasue Sun 22-Oct-17 11:57:21

We love our roast my gd looks forward to it and says I make the best roast dinners. This Sunday it's Lamb with all the trimmings.
I sometimes do roast potatoes in the week if we are having, chicken thighs or chops.

Imperfect27 Sun 22-Oct-17 12:12:41

maryhoffman and Smithy - my DD1 is also a vegetarian, but she has all the bits, Yorkshire puds, 3-4 x veg and roast potatoes and parsnips. She likes quorn fillets so usually has one of them roasted with veg gravey. You are missing a treat! grin

Bambam Sun 22-Oct-17 12:19:49

Dd invites me for Roast probably every other week. Will be fun today because as well as my Dgs (8) who is very funny being there, my twin gd's have come back from Newcastle Uni for the weekend. Yay!!!!
If I'm doing Sunday Lunch for family I take them all out to a Restaurant, we have some excellent ones to choose from, then all back to mine.
Can't be bothered cooking for twelve of us and I can relax and enjoy their company more this way.

Aepgirl Sun 22-Oct-17 12:21:53

Sunday is always roast day. I love cooking but really believe that a full roast dinner is just about the easiest - and tastiest meal to cook. What's unhealthy about Yorkshire Pudding!!!

Bellanonna Sun 22-Oct-17 12:24:48

We only ever have a roast if we eat out. Otherwise Sunday lunch is just like any other day.

Christinefrance Sun 22-Oct-17 12:30:22

We have a roast occasionally, my favourite is lamb but its very expensive here in France. I really enjoy the leftover veg and gravy served in a large yorkie on the next day.

sluttygran Sun 22-Oct-17 12:30:23

I do a roast dinner every Sunday for my family - it’s a real palaver because they’re vegan!
Of course, all the veggie accompaniments are easy, but nut loaf and suchlike are very fiddly and time consuming. I always make my own, as ready made are horrendously expensive!
I am happy to cook for them as they are wonderful children and do a great deal for me, but oh, how I long for a roast chicken or a leg of lamb with mint sauce!

NonnaW Sun 22-Oct-17 12:30:55

Rarely have roast dinners as DH dislikes them. I’m not fussed about them either. We actively avoid them in pubs & restaurants, on my part because the always seem to come swamped with gravy. When the family were at home I always did a roast.

blossom14 Sun 22-Oct-17 12:32:56

We have a roast nearly every Sunday here. Youngest DD and family take it for granted. I don't think I would see much of them otherwise.
Roast Chicken and all the trimmings plus Eldest DGS would never forgive me if no Yorkshire puds on offer. Just finished making a lemon meringue pie for afters.

Jane43 Sun 22-Oct-17 12:34:37

Although there is just the two of us most weeks we do still have a Sunday roast - lamb today and there will be enough left over for a shepherds pie tomorrow or Tuesday.

We went out for Sunday lunch last weekend to celebrate an 80th birthday at a nice hotel but the meal was awful. I chose beef but it was as tough as old boots, DH chose lamb but there was very little of it and it was also tough. Service was at a snail’s pace and all of DH’s pet hates were there: cold plates and vegetable dishes and fancy ways of serving food instead of an ordinary plate. My soup came in a small bowl on a block of wood and the soup was luke warm in a cold bowl. The Bakewell tart we chose for dessert took 35 minutes to arrive and was accompanied by a small jug of cold custard which they called ‘Creme Anglaise’ but it was clearly from a tin of custard.

Our last few meals out have been very disappointing so we will continue to eat at home and Sunday lunch will remain part of our routine, served on proper warm plates.

gagsy Sun 22-Oct-17 13:09:25

I always did a roast dinner when the family was at home but there's just me now. If they come there's always a roast and there is when I stay with them. Yummy!

Esspee Sun 22-Oct-17 13:24:39

I don't much enjoy a roast dinner and groan inwardly when someone takes us to a carvery. Last Christmas I wanted to stay home and have a meal that we enjoy. It was glorious, salad then prawns, tagliatelle and samphire followed by crème brulee. Yum!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 22-Oct-17 13:27:45

Smithy
A tradition amongst the indigenous of the UK be they vegetarian or meat eaters when on a Sunday .(allegedly a day of resthmm) it was supposed to be a day when families got together to enjoy a roasted joint of meat or roasted something else for non meat eaters.
Diversity, fast food business's etc have brought about changes, unfortunately, and as a child Sunday was the day we would either go to aunts and uncles ,grandparents, or they would come to my parents for that special 'roast.'

fiorinda Sun 22-Oct-17 13:28:07

Sluttygran, my kids were raised vegan, and one of the easiest Sunday main items I used to do was sosmix - the dry mix you can get. Mixed with various different flavourings (herbs, or sundried tomatoes, or apple sauce etc, whatever you fancy and everyone likes), rolled into a big sausage, wrapped in tinfoil and baked in the oven, then unwrapped and sliced - very little work, delicious and different.

Marnie Sun 22-Oct-17 13:32:23

Gave up roasts when D.C. left home and OH developed dementia. I am in and out of hospital at the moment so it's meals on wheels for us today

sarahellenwhitney Sun 22-Oct-17 13:45:30

Jane43.
Shepherds pie on Tuesday from leftovers brought back memories of my childhood If we had beef or pork then dripping on toast for Sunday tea.We would have cold meat ie beef, pork or lamb, with fried left over veg on Monday then the inevitable shepherds pie with the beef or lamb leftovers. In the early years of my marriage I carried on with the same traditions.