Gransnet forums

Food

Is the Sunday roast tradition dying?

(91 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 22-Oct-17 07:36:18

When I was feeding a 'household' we nearly always had a Sunday roast - even in the summer.

Now DH and I live more quietly and often it is just us on a Sunday so we don't bother with a roast then. We enjoy all sorts of different 'foods of the world' Sunday by Sunday. The roast is certainly not the be all and end all of meal choices anymore.

With so many different types of food to tempt us - and Sunday perhaps being a day when people have a little more time to cook and therefore experiment, I do wonder if the concept of Sunday roast as a 'tradition' is fading.

What do you think?

Legs55 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:30:44

Angela1961 your meal almost echos mine which I shall have shortly, Mushroom Quiche, new potatoes & salad. I do a Roast almost every week, I am on my own now but DH always loved a roast.

I usually have a chicken so roast Sunday & Monday, then strip carcase & make stock, spare chicken goes in freezer. Occassionally have a curry on Sunday. I do use frozen Yorkshires, not as good as the ones I made (true Yorkshire Lass), even Aunt Bessie's don't quite make the grade but are a good substituteblush

Even though I am retired & on my own I try to keep Sunday special.

DD does roast most Sundays

Coolgran65 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:24:17

Most Sundays I cook a roast dinner for all the family who live nearby, usually 8 for dinner. Occasionally I've suggested to dh that I do a lasagne and salad ....... hmm... they all love their roast dinner. DS1 always fills our freezer with various roasts smile

Today we had 2 large chickens, home made stuffing. Mash potatoes and roasties. Steamed sprouts which were then stir fried with green beans and garlic. Whole onions roasted in their skins and then easy peeled. Roasted carrots with home made apple butter.

Followed by trifle.
Followed by tea, coffee and walnut cake.

Some left over chicken with make dinner tomorrow, possibly curry.

No wonder I carry an extra lb or several smile

phoenix Sun 22-Oct-17 20:35:45

Spooky! I've just started a thread about Sunday roasts, hadn't seen this one.

Smithy Sun 22-Oct-17 20:39:49

Saraellen and Imperfct - I LOVE all the bits that go with a roast dinner but its not worth it for one. I have occasionally had Sunday Lunch out at a pub where they do the whole caboodle with a veggie alternative to meat and have really enjoyed it. I also went to my son's last new years day and they did me a quorn roast dinner which I also enjoyed but usually just have anything I've got in the fridge or freezer. You just get out of
the habit and in fact I don't know anyone who regularly has Sunday Roast dinner.
(Feeling hungry now!)

Menopaws Sun 22-Oct-17 20:40:05

Have already said on different post but nothing like a proper roast, my far travelling children come home for it

NanKate Sun 22-Oct-17 21:06:11

When I cook Sunday lunch I buy a microwaveable box of mixed veg together with veg I prep myself such as parsnips, fresh beetroot, a few tattles and maybe some leeks to steam. If DH gets involved he preps every veg, what a hooha. To be honest I would use ready prepared veg every time to save all the peeling and scraping.

I do realise that it costs more to have ready prepared but whilst I can afford it I try and slip the boxes into the shopping. To be fair DH is always happy to do the prepping but I have other jobs I would prefer him to do. ?

Daisyboots Sun 22-Oct-17 21:54:31

We have a roast dinner in the evening most Sundays. Today's was a gammon joint we brought back from out last trip to England. My DH loves a roast dinner and it's not something served in restaurants here. Personally I don't like roast dinners in restaurants when we are in England. As already said they are rarely hot and just taste mass produced.

Nannykay Sun 22-Oct-17 22:16:01

I have been known to suggest something different on a Sunday would be nice, but I get that look ! Apparently Sunday isn’t Sunday without a roast, and as even my daughter towers over me, well roast it is

grannybuy Sun 22-Oct-17 23:00:16

Still often have a roast dish on Sundays, and often stovies with leftovers on Monday. Stovies, if anyone isn't familiar with this dish,,is the leftover meat mixed with fried onion and cooked potatoes and a little browning.

quizqueen Sun 22-Oct-17 23:10:12

Why are people afraid to write Christmas on this site!!!!!

maddyone Sun 22-Oct-17 23:32:35

Coolgran65 I think your toast sounds delicious, can I come next week?
Actually we normally have roast, DH cooks if we're at home, or (as today) we visit one of our sons and they cook roast for us. Next week both sons, partners, and one grandchild, will be eating with us, plus my mother of course. So DH will do roast beef and all the trimmings, and I'll make a pudding, not sure what yet, I'll have a think about it, might do pineapple upside down pudding, that's tasty, or rich bread and butter pudding maybe.

meandashy Mon 23-Oct-17 09:04:14

I LOVE a roast. I often cook one just for me! But instead of a joint of meat I'll use chops.
I do love to feed people and if I am having people over I would probably choose a roast to cook

Witzend Mon 23-Oct-17 16:49:58

I often do a roast just for the 2 of us, usually chicken since will get about 4 meals out of it + stock from the carcass.
But it's never at lunchtime - breaks up the day too much and just makes me want to sleep afterwards.

We have it in the evening, and that's what my mother did, too, apart from when we were very small, for the same reason.

anne53 Mon 23-Oct-17 23:02:06

I do a Sunday roast every week, just for DH and myself. Cook twice as many veg and either microwave them on Monday or make massive fry up to go with leftover meat. Prepare veg early in the morning and put meat in before church and it's cooked beautifully by the time I get home. Got it off to a fine art but I put it down to my upbringing in a guest house.

Glamdram Tue 24-Oct-17 02:03:48

We never have a roast ..unless we go out specially for one...although this weekend newly wedded S and new DiL coming down from London to have one with us.
Have ordered roast loin of pork....stuffed and rolled from butchers.......H has made leeks in cheese sauce (in freezer at mo). Will make proper Yorkshire puds..and other veg with roasties. Followed by home made pear and blackberry crumble........all sounds lot to do ...but looking forward to seeing them and their little dog (our grand pup!) ?