Gransnet forums

Food

Roast lamb

(36 Posts)
annsixty Sat 28-Oct-17 10:02:16

In my stated quest to stick to domestic issues, I have a query about lamb.
In today's DT there is a recipe for roast leg of lamb, cooked with veg and red wine.
It is cooked ,with lots of faffing for a total of 46 minutes at 180 degrees, gas4.
It is taken out of the oven a couple of times for things to be added,which I would assume lowers the temperature of the meat each time.
Would this be cooked enough for you?
I know about pink lamb but I think this would be very undercooked.

merlotgran Sat 28-Oct-17 10:08:11

I suppose if it's really undercooked you could just shove it back in for a bit longer but might have to time your veg on a 'just in case it's not ready' basis.

I usually judge it by the colour of the juices that come out when you rest it. Putting it on a white plate helps.

hildajenniJ Sat 28-Oct-17 10:17:52

I've got a meat probe with a readout telling you whether it's rare medium or well done. I use that. 46 minutes at 180°c sounds to me like the lamb would be very pink indeed. I would want to cook it for at least 1hr. 15mins. if not longer.

jusnoneed Sat 28-Oct-17 10:23:19

I don't like under cooked lamb, much rather have it falling off the bone than the amount of "pink" that you see so much these days.
I would cook it longer and higher temp than that recipe (and leave out the wine), time depending on size but 25 mins per pound plus a bit.

GrandmaMoira Sat 28-Oct-17 10:38:00

I don't see how it could be cooked even to pink at 46 minutes. I like it a bit pink, but that would be almost raw.
I also find that as I get older rare meat does not agree with me. Does anyone else find this?

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:05:35

I remember when DS came back from a French exchange trip - he said the school dinners would have been wonderful except for the fact that the lamb was almost raw. That put him off.
He always slow roasts lamb.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:06:47

ps I don't even think the veg would be cooked through, annsixty especially if onion is added. I would cook lamb shanks for longer than that too.

Alima Sat 28-Oct-17 11:18:36

Annsixty, I have no advice on how to cook the joint (my cooking skills are non existent) just a tip for if it does go wrong. Many times on here there have been tips on what to do with a frozen leg of lamb. Don’t throw it away, let it cool down, bag it up with a prominent “danger, do not eat” sticker and bung it back in the freezer. There you have it, a frozen leg of lamb for use when needed.

annsixty Sat 28-Oct-17 11:22:02

A lot of us know just what to do with it Alima we just haven't had the courage yet?

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:23:29

Alima grin

ninathenana Sat 28-Oct-17 12:17:04

I cook a leg of lamb for about 2 hrs shock I don't like the flesh pink. I couldn't eat it that rare raw, I don't like rare beef either

Menopaws Sat 28-Oct-17 14:43:52

Oooh my favourite roast but still slow cook and a teeny bit pink is ok but not necessarily the case as if slow enough it's cooked through, as long as good gravy and onion sauce it's the best

annsixty Sat 28-Oct-17 14:52:17

My onion sauce is the best in the world according to my family?

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:29:00

I have never tried onion sauce with it, sounds lovely.

We always have mint sauce (fresh mint with a tiny bit of sugar and cider vinegar).

kittylester Sat 28-Oct-17 15:38:34

I have a probe type thingy too.

We have redcurrant jelly with grated orange ring and chopped mint leaves. It's a Delia recipe!

Mamie Sat 28-Oct-17 15:48:44

I don't think it would be anywhere near cooked at that temperature and I like my lamb pink. I do 20 minutes to the pound on 200°. Do you roast it with the wine around it or add it afterwards?

annsixty Sat 28-Oct-17 16:36:44

I don't know how to cut and paste ( oh the shame) but the recipe is in today's DT and if you google it is Roast lamb with mint and peppers from Giorgio Locatelli. It may come up.

kittylester Sat 28-Oct-17 16:38:47

We have grated orange RIND. My beeping phone is not half a bright as it thinks it is!!

Auntieflo Sat 28-Oct-17 17:38:41

kittylester, I'm sure one doesn't boast about one's " probe type thingy" in public. grin, but it made me laugh.

Mamie Sat 28-Oct-17 17:54:28

Hmm. Bizarre recipe and would be nowhere near cooked. More like 80/90 minutes at that temperature I would say.

Chewbacca Sat 28-Oct-17 17:57:22

Excuse me for butting in but please could you post your recipe for Onion Sauce Ann?

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:00:36

I can't find it but I know now how to make the best Yorkshire puddings!!

I think it must be a misprint - it should have been 1 hour 46 minutes.

Write to the DT!! #Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

Greyduster Sat 28-Oct-17 18:17:46

I’ve never had onion sauce - i’d like the recipe too, please. That would, I think, be one very underdone leg of lamb, Ann. I like pink lamb, and very pink lamb cutlets, but I would think more like an hour and three quarters at the least. I once saw James Martin cooking a shoulder of pork and saying that 35 minutes would be enough for it to be properly cooked. I don’t know what planet some of these so called cookery experts are on!

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:24:41

35 minutes per lb for pork!!
Pork should never be pink.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:25:21

and some of the duck which you see on these cookery competitions are positively oozing with blood and they congratulate them on 'perfectly cooked duck'