Gransnet forums

Food

Smoothies

(16 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 03-Nov-17 14:01:01

I have inherited a smoothie maker from my DD (it was made redundant by a Nutribullit (sp) so she thought it would be a good idea if I had it ?). It is not something I have ever craved for, but now it is here and has its feet under the table I suppose I should give it a go. The instruction booklet has a few recipes for protein shakes, but little else and I was wondering if anyone has a few recipes I could try it out on. I have some frozen strawberries and blackberries in the freezer. Any good? What else do I need?

ffinnochio Fri 03-Nov-17 14:42:13

Defrost fruit, add plain Greek yogurt, sugar if you fancy it, any nutty seedy things if liked, and eat. Sell or gift the smoothie maker. grin

Greyduster Fri 03-Nov-17 14:51:38

?! But if I don’t at least try it I will be in the ??!

hildajenniJ Fri 03-Nov-17 15:41:35

Any soft fruit. I've used oranges, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, even canned peaches! Plain yogurt or milk. Mine crushes ice in with the other ingredients.
I think I have some recipes for smoothies including alcohol. I'll look them out.

Greyduster Fri 03-Nov-17 15:46:37

Thanks Hilda; that would be useful.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Nov-17 16:40:38

Good luck Greyduster I can’t stand smoothies, that thickness in your mouth yuk but they are really popular now so I know I m definitely in the minority

jusnoneed Fri 03-Nov-17 18:11:33

My son used to make them, his machine has bottles that come with a screw top so he took them for lunch. Any soft fruit used to go in and he used fruit juice (he preferred that to milk) to make the mix looser. I used to buy whatever was in season and also had a few packs of things in the freezer.

cornergran Fri 03-Nov-17 18:20:56

Oh blimey , greyduster I cant think of a better way to ruin fruit. I think I might share the sad news that it had broken in transit and then pass it on to some unsuspecting soul. Although shoikd the smoothies with alcohol be nice I could be persuaded otherwise grin.

Greyduster Fri 03-Nov-17 19:01:31

I’ll give it a go. If it doesn’t work out, it will join the discarded soup maker in the graveyard of stuff that is the garage!

cornergran Fri 03-Nov-17 19:16:41

A soup maker? Now you’re talking. Wouldn’t be without mine. Just think, if we were all the same wouldn’t life be boring?

Menopaws Sat 04-Nov-17 02:27:43

I love a smoothie but I do use a nutribullet , my fave breakfast quickie is banana, blueberries, any other soft fruit I have, handful dry porridge oats, half whole milk half coconut water and spoonful flaxseed and whoosh. It's not too thick or sweet and filling and quick, great for using up fruit and doesn't just have to be breakfast

Menopaws Sat 04-Nov-17 02:28:40

Sorry sound like a teleshopping presenter!

goldengirl Sat 04-Nov-17 11:48:30

I've got a nutribullet I've not used for ages. I might give it a go again. Thanks Menopaws

hildajenniJ Mon 06-Nov-17 13:50:15

My machine is a "Kitchen Ninja". It juices, blends and mixes, it came with a paddle for mixing dough too although I've never tried that. The recipes are from the book that came with it, but I'm sure the instructions could be adapted for ant juicer. My KN blends everything together, even ice cubes. Here are a couple of recipes for alcoholic juices from the book.
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back! ?

Greyduster Mon 06-Nov-17 14:48:05

Wow! They sound good Hilda! I shall keep the last of the wild blackberries I picked and try that one out at Christmas. I might give the cider one a trial run at the weekend. Do I have it right, do you pulse everything including the cider, and then heat the whole lot with the cinnamon sticks?

hildajenniJ Mon 06-Nov-17 14:58:28

Yes, that's how I would do it. I've yet to try that one, but when I do, I'll use the apples from our tree.