Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas cake

(38 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 14-Nov-17 09:27:21

I made a large Cristmas cake with the "help" of my DGD yesterday, cooked it all evening, and left it to cool overnight. It seemed fine when it came out of the oven, but this morning it has all the charm of a brick.

Can I inject some liquid in the form of brandy/fruit juice to make it less dry? I suspect it might need quite a lot!

I think my mistake was to let it cool without wrapping it up to keep the moisture in.

Any ideas out there? - there are a lot of expensive ingredients in it!

Nanabilly Tue 14-Nov-17 09:32:47

Definitely yes. Feed it with brandy and port or whisky . I prefer brandy and port. Stab it with a skewer all over the top and spoon the liquid onto top of cake so it soaks in.
Do it weekly and wrap up well and keep in airtight container

Squiffy Tue 14-Nov-17 09:37:18

Oh what a shame. When it’s happened to my cake I’ve pricked the top of the cake with a skewer and liberally sprinkled brandy and wrapped the cake to stop it drying out. I also repeated the sprinkling of brandy a couple of times to top it up. No-one complained about the pleasant mellow feelings the cake induced!

Squiffy Tue 14-Nov-17 09:38:42

Crossed post Nana! I took too long typing!

Chewbacca Tue 14-Nov-17 09:39:14

Another thing you could try is to cut an eating apple into quarters and put them into the airtight tin with the cake. The cake will absorb the moisture from the apples. Check them every week or so and change them for fresh when they look dried out. That, and the regular injections of alcohol, should sort out any dryness.

Luckygirl Tue 14-Nov-17 09:59:40

Thanks folks - the solution seems to be alcohol!

Could I also use orange or lemon juice? - I fear this cake will need a lot of liquid!

I do not have an airtight tin big enough - would wrapping it in foil be adequate?

merlotgran Tue 14-Nov-17 10:06:36

Are you sure it's really that dry, Luckygirl. Christmas cakes are always heavy compared with other fruit cakes.

I always slice the uneven bit off the top to see what it looks like underneath and keeping it wrapped in foil should be fine.

I've given up making them. DD will do it this year and I will buy a gluten free one for DGS and me. I'll inject some alcohol though. wink

Ruby41 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:08:33

I used to make a Xmas cake which was infused with Guinness which makes it lovely and moist. Same injection process as suggested using a skewer - you know there's enough when it starts leaking through the bottom of the cake! Always greeted with enthusiasm. I do actually still have the recipe if needed.

CW52 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:13:40

I always pricked holes in the bottom and poured sweet sherry into it, can turn a brick into a moist cake?

sarahellenwhitney Tue 14-Nov-17 10:14:14

luckygirl
After 40years of making xmas and anniversary cakes I never covered them to let them cool as all you would be doing is locking in steam which turns to water.
A cookery book will tell you how to feed this cake until you are ready to decorate with items of your choice'
it does no harm to wrap this cake in foil after each feeding. Gradual feeding is the answer to relieve dryness.

morningdew Tue 14-Nov-17 10:22:37

mix orange juice with port or sweet sherry and spoon that in

toscalily Tue 14-Nov-17 10:53:46

I have made and stored many Christmas cakes & puddings over the years and would advise against storing directly in foil. Use double grease proof paper and then foil because there is a danger of the natural fruit acids eating into the foil if placed directly next to the cake when stored for any length of time. Feed weekly with which ever spirit you prefer (but not orange juice) and you will have a lovely boozy non dry cake by Christmas.

Heather23 Tue 14-Nov-17 11:05:24

Wow, what wonderful tips - I might even try baking a cake myself - all sounds so tempting! Presumably as the alcohol has not been cooked, it could be a very boozy cake indeed - drivers need to be made aware!?

Applegran Tue 14-Nov-17 11:25:10

I use apple juice to feed the cake and it works well - if you don't want alcohol, juice is fine. Not sure about lemon juice - might be too sour.

Aslemma Tue 14-Nov-17 11:25:57

I have been making Christmas cakes and puddings for over 50 years and this weekend my granddaugbter helped. I never wrap them until they are cold and then wrap them in clingfilm. I then feed them with brandy or whisky for a few weeks. They often do feel dry on the top when first cooled but quickly mellow, though I sometimes take a small slice from the top, which not only gets rid of any protruding nuts or fruit but makes them easier to ice.

Luckygirl Tue 14-Nov-17 11:41:25

I have turned it upside down and think I will use the flat bottom to ice it. The top is insufficiently risen to make a bumpy base - the lack of rising is a source of concern!

Thanks for the tip about apple juice - I will try that too.

jacq10 Tue 14-Nov-17 11:48:06

I do the same as Merlotgran. Take a thin slice of the top (it is always easier to marzipan and ice the flat underside anyway) and you will then see that the cake is not as dry as you think). I use a knitting needle to spike around 10/12 holes and feed it with brandy every 10/12 days and keep it wrapped in greaseproof and foil.

Auntieflo Tue 14-Nov-17 12:00:39

Lucky, sorry to hear about your cake, but cakes that are very rich in fruit, rarely rise much at all. I made ours yesterday, and the fruit had been soaking in calvados for three days. It smells wonderful (sorry). I never lick the spoon of unbaked cake mix, but this time, it smelled so good I did, oh my, lovely.

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Nov-17 12:38:14

I always, always prefer the raw cake mixture to the finished product, whatever the cake!

ElroodFan Tue 14-Nov-17 13:31:56

Decided this year to make a Xmas cake for the first time ever. Was going to make it nearer Xmas am I leaving it too late in view of the fact others have made theirs already. I thought I would just marzipan and ice it when cold. Is this wrong?

lemongrove Tue 14-Nov-17 13:53:57

I always feed the brandy into the bottom of the cake, turning it upside down first of course!
The tip of cutting up an apple and putting it in the tin is a good one.

grannybuy Tue 14-Nov-17 13:55:07

Yes you can 'inject' with brandy or rum. It's recommended we do this at intervals to rich fruit cakes while they are being 'stored'. I often have to shave off the dry top of a cake before icing. With the best will in the world, if cakes are to be cooked through in the centre, they will tend to be drier on the top and sides. I made mine last week, and the top is cracked.

Newquay Tue 14-Nov-17 14:14:02

Agree with all above esp using grease paper next to cake not foil. Have never used apple juice though. I'm teetotal (not through choice just can't even stand the smell of the stuff☹️)
DH doses cake with alcohol every now and then, overdid it one year and it was like alcoholic bread pudding-I couldn't eat any of it at all so I keep an eye on him now.
For a few years I've bought ready made marzipan and ready made icing too. Lovely and icing not as hard as royal icing.

Beloulou Tue 14-Nov-17 16:49:48

I always use greaseproof paper(a double layer) and foil on top. I feed with brandy every week. I use the Delia Smith recipe, and it usually goes down well. As she says, no cake with all those good ingredients can fail, even if it doesn't rise much!

Saggi Tue 14-Nov-17 16:59:36

Cake mixture....me too Maggiemaybe...but then we’re the sane ones!! I agree totally, wrap in cling first or grease proof THEN tin foil.