Gransnet forums

Food

New Slide & Glide oven

(6 Posts)
KirbyGirl Tue 14-Nov-17 12:18:56

Help. My new oven keeps overcooking cakes round edge while the centre is still not cooked. Flapjack tooth breaking round the edge while centre too gooey.

Is it that I use the fan? Would I be better using the alternative heat?

Charleygirl Tue 14-Nov-17 12:28:22

Mine is a so called fan oven also and although I never bake cakes I have had the same problem cooking meat, chicken or whatever. I have abandoned the fan bit and follow instructions for a "normal" oven and it appears to work.

Welshwife Tue 14-Nov-17 13:06:11

I loved my fan ovens when I had them and also they cook sponges far better than a no-fan oven. The cooker I liked the best had two ovens - a conventional one which was fine for roasts and casseroles but useless for cakes and pies as it cooked the tops too fast and the fan oven - which I always referred to as my clean oven - which I mainly used for baking. It cooked meat well but by restricting that sort of spitty cooking to the other one I always had an oven which hardly needed cleaning!

CherryHatrick Tue 14-Nov-17 13:11:56

Fan oven means you need to set the temperature 20º lower than normal oven. Most modern recipes stipulate this..cupcake

Greyduster Tue 14-Nov-17 14:01:24

Just as Cherry says, and follow the shelf positions given in the oven’s user manual. I have had two fan ovens which were ostensibly the same make and model, but the second one had a slightly different shelf configuration and I was cooking on the wrong one. I wouldn’t be without a fan oven now.

KirbyGirl Wed 15-Nov-17 11:18:11

Many thanks. I will check the user manual (properly) rather than give it a quick glance!

My flapjack recipe is very old - torn off a porage packet years ago - and doesn't mention fan or even celsius .