Gransnet forums

Food

Dairy free birthday cake

(10 Posts)
silverlining48 Wed 15-Nov-17 22:53:35

My grandson is allergic to milk and has his 5 th birthday on sunday. I have been trying to find a dairy free cake to buy fir him, nothing too big, but something we can stick some candles in and preferably he can eat without severe side effects.
Have tried m & s who had none, and been looking online but its taking ages and pinterest keeps getting in the way wanting me to join ( i have but have forgotten password grrr) so if anyone knows a national supermarket where i might pick one up would be most grateful.
I am not much of a cook, havnt baked a cake for at least 35 years and only gave up then because my cakes were subject of much amusement, but would be prepared to give it another go if anyone has a simple totally fail safe recipe.
Thanks.

Jalima1108 Wed 15-Nov-17 23:50:21

You can use sunflower oil instead of butter, or some of the margarines are dairy-free, can't remember which one but I used to buy it for DD. I remember buying it in Tesco. Be careful if you do buy the margarine because some do have milk products in them.

Weigh the eggs in their shells, then weigh out the same amount of marge, caster sugar and SR flour + a teaspoon of baking powder if you like, mix all together, put into cake tins (use those greaseproof tin liners), bake at 180C for 20 minutes or until they spring back, stick together with butter cream, jam or whatever he likes and cover in roll-out icing.

Or do it the proper way:
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spongecake_1284
Double up on quantities if you want a larger cake and substitute the dairy-free marge for butter.

I think M&S do a dairy free one but they are quite expensive.
Good luck.

Juliette Thu 16-Nov-17 00:08:54

DD bought a dairy free birthday cake from Asda for her friend. It may be worth having a look, if there’s a store near to you.
It was very nice by all accounts.

silverlining48 Thu 16-Nov-17 13:01:22

THank jalima, will keep your recipe but thanks too juliette, have just returned from a trip to asda and found a really nice dairy free cake which means i dont hAve to spend the rest of the day baking. Phew.

jusnoneed Thu 16-Nov-17 13:13:45

Glad you found something suitable.
A fatless sponge could be used another time. Ready roll icing to decorate.

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:45:51

smile glad you found something.

You must have an Asda nearby, by the time I got to one I could have made a cake - and iced it!!

JaneD3 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:51:17

Pure sunflower margarine ( that is the trade name) is dairy free. It makes a good sponge. 4 eggs, 8oz SR flour, marg and caster sugar. Best together until pale and fluffy. Bake in 8" sandwich tins lined with parchment at gas mark 4. Enjoy!

silverlining48 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:14:59

Yes only 5 minute drive to asda, but i will have a go at a Diy cake, soon and report back. Thank you.

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Nov-17 23:07:29

Oh heck, hope it doesn't sink
hmm

silverlining48 Fri 17-Nov-17 09:05:46

I wo nt blame anyone but myself if it doesnt work out, after all it never has in the past which is why i stopped trying 35 years ago.
Will report back with results.....it may be a while.....
Thanks to all