Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten free panettone!!!!!

(49 Posts)
kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 15:25:23

Just bought one from Carluccios!! £12.95 and not as big as a proper one!

I get so envious when I smell DH toasting some in the mornings and now I can join in!

shysal Sun 19-Nov-17 15:37:54

Hope it doesn't disappoint, Kitty. I treated myself to a mini 99p one from Lidl the other day, ate it toasted with butter, yum!

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 15:45:31

Was it gf sal?

whitewave Sun 19-Nov-17 15:59:27

Oh!! Goody.

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 17:25:23

I'm bumping this as it's very important!!!

Fennel Sun 19-Nov-17 17:40:53

What kind of flour do they use for GF? Would it work with cornflour? potato flour? chestnut flour? buckwheat flour?

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 17:53:43

I don't know Fennel, all I Care is that I can eat it!! I'll check when I've had dinner!

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 18:03:54

Dinner is not quite ready so - in order on the box

Potato starch, rice flour, corn starch, chicory inulin (which I've never heard of) psyllium fibre, thickeners (guar flour, xantham gum) - does that help? It doesn't say proportions.

tessagee Sun 19-Nov-17 18:14:49

I've recently had to start cutting out gluten and my little town has very little in the way of GF foods, only a few breads in Morrisons and the Co-op. I went on line and looked up some recipes but the trouble is that I can't get any of the GF flours locally and as for Xantham Gum which the recipes say is needed to replace gluten in order to keep the cakes/bread etc from crumbling, I can't imagine where to find it.

I'm also needing to find some suppliers of Carob as I have an intolerance to chocolate.

Any advice on either or both of the above would be very much appreciated.

hildajenniJ Sun 19-Nov-17 18:30:13

You can buy xanthan gum in Tesco and Holland and Barrett. My DD gets it from Amazon though. You can buy carob powder in Holland and Barrett too. We have gluten free flour in our Co-op, and we are only a little town of 4000 residents.

whitewave Sun 19-Nov-17 18:30:55

One of our favourite puddings over Christmas is panettone bread and butter pudding with chocolate, fruit and brandy. We haven’t be able to have it but can now!!

whitewave Sun 19-Nov-17 18:31:57

tessa you can buy any of that on line.

whitewave Sun 19-Nov-17 18:49:35

Ordered one 500gm - after all only once a year.

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 19:17:14

I use gf flour very successfully in Delia's all in one recipe for sponges.

merlotgran Sun 19-Nov-17 19:42:20

I'm going to have a go at making my own panettone because you can buy the moulds on Amazon.

Fennel Sun 19-Nov-17 19:48:06

That's interesting kittylester . We can get all those flours here. There are some parts of France where they made bread from chestnut flour because wheat wasn't grown there.
Panettone looks delicious - I'll have to experiment.
Can people who are allergic to gluten digest yeast?

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 19:48:52

I can.

merlotgran Sun 19-Nov-17 19:54:48

I buy guten free yeast from Tesco to be on the safe side because DGS's coeliacs is very sensitive. He's had to give up his course at Agricultural college because even the dust from animal feed affects him. sad

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 20:14:17

Oh crumbs, Merlot! That's awful for him!

merlotgran Sun 19-Nov-17 20:24:34

Crumbs were the problem, kitty grin

He tried wearing a mask while working with wheat and barley straw but it soon became obvious that he was fighting a losing a battle and he had already dropped out for a term while being diagnosed.

He's now trying hard to find an alternative career.

Deedaa Sun 19-Nov-17 20:26:14

Chestnut flour was used a lot in Italy during the war because of the shortage of wheat. The trouble is that a lot of the things you can bake with it come out tasting like something you would only eat during a war!

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 21:11:06

Poor chap, Merlot, I hope he finds something soon.

durhamjen Sun 19-Nov-17 21:19:20

Ethical Superstore has lots of gluten free stuff, as does Suma wholefoods.

kittylester Sun 19-Nov-17 21:26:26

I'll look at those dj. I've looked for panettone previously but have found it to be h u get expensive. While not cheap I have faith in Carluccio's and it is cheaper than any others I've found. I hope it's OK!

shysal Sun 19-Nov-17 21:30:43

Sorry for the delay getting back to you Kitty. Afraid the Lidl panettone was not GF. That would have been too good to be true for you sad.