Gransnet forums

Food

Seasonal GF treats

(27 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Wed 13-Dec-17 20:13:39

My Sil has recently changed his diet to gf.
He works away from home,
so I haven't as yet been able to have a chat with him about his 'new regime'.

He is only home for Christmas day and has to leave boxing day morning
I would like to buy or make him
some simple (not a great cook) seasonal treats.
Some of which he would be able take back with him.

Any gnetters advice and recipes gratefully received
tchsmile

kittylester Wed 13-Dec-17 20:24:55

Carluccios sell a small gf panettone. I've got one and hidden it!! I've always been so envious of the smell when dh toasts his for breakfast.

lemongrove Wed 13-Dec-17 20:35:44

Use Dove flour and you can make anything, just about.Mince pies, cakes, yule log.

Cherrytree59 Thu 14-Dec-17 12:06:33

Thanks bothtchsmile
Kitty are there nuts in your panettone?
I will check first to make sure he likes panettone as I don't think he is keen on nuts.
However I have just read ingredients on our classic (not gf) panettone and there is no mention of nuts.
Enjoy your treat!

Lemon great I have googled Dove flour just what I need.
GS and I can now make his daddy some treats from the Dove recipes.

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 12:14:16

Good lucktchsmile
Dove flour tends to need a bit more fat or liquid generally than normal flour, but gives good results and is sold in most supermarkets.

ninathenana Thu 14-Dec-17 12:19:38

tchgrin I thought Dove flour was a typo

Squiffy Thu 14-Dec-17 12:21:08

Apologies for a quick thread-hijack Cherry

lemon Do you have any success with making gf dumplings? Mine sink without trace despite using SR gf flour and a pinch of gf baking powder tchsad

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 12:21:33

It isn’t actually made from ground up doves nina tchgrin

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 12:23:13

Have you tried adding beaten egg Squiffy ?

Fennel Thu 14-Dec-17 12:50:16

I watch the Anna Olsen baking programme sometimes, and today she made some flourless pies and tarts. She has recipes for flourless cakes too
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anna+olson+flourless+cake+recipes+

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:11:58

I bought some gf pastry in Tesco - it was where the other ready pastries were in the chill cabinet.
So far I haven't tried it but I am hoping I can make some 'home-made' mince pies.

I always choose Dove flour but you would not be grateful for my home-made gf pastry grin

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:13:42

Black cake which I am going to attempt this time using this recipe but with some added spice and using gf flour:
www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/c/caribbean-black-cake.html Other recipes available.

Don't eat and drive!

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:14:32

The one I tasted was iced (not marzipanned) with white fondant icing which I don't normally like but it was very good indeed.

Squiffy Thu 14-Dec-17 14:23:21

That’s a good idea lemon, thank you tchsmile

merlotgran Thu 14-Dec-17 14:39:07

I bought some GF shortcrust pastry but thought it was tough.

My recipe for sweet shortcrust (enough for 1 doz mince pies) is 200grms GF plain flour, 1/2 tspn xantham gum, pinch salt, 50grms lard, 50grms block margarine, 1 med egg, 1 tbspn sugar and approx. 2 tbspns cold water.

Rub the fat into the flour, salt and xantham gum until it resembles breadcrumbs, add the sugar, stir in the beaten egg then carefully add the water as you don't want the dough too wet or it will be tough.

It rolls out easily if you don't overwork it.

I'm making a batch this afternoon for the freezer and a large GF panettone which should be big enough to share with DD and DGS who is coeliac.

tessagee Thu 14-Dec-17 14:41:44

Morrison's advert mentioned GF mince pies. Haven't tried them yet but I'm now using Tesco GF plain flour with my own baking powder for sultana scones; needed less milk for mixing the scones which I'm enjoying eating, though to be honest I find all GF baked goods a bit 'powdery' in the mouth so need lots of tea/coffee when consuming. Intend to try my hand making GF shortcrust pastry at the weekend. I'm just wondering whether you are more likely to have a 'soggy bottom' with pies than is the case using ordinary flour. Has anyone experience of this?

merlotgran Thu 14-Dec-17 15:36:32

You are less likely to have a soggy bottom, tessagee as the problem with GF baking is you need to retain moisture to prevent a dry and 'chalky' texture - that's why a mixture of fats gives better results than butter which makes a tougher pastry.

It's important to add xantham gum as in the absence of gluten this helps the flour retain moisture. The quantities needed for various products is on the tub. I always add an egg to pastry as well for the same reason.

It's all a bit trial and error to begin with but it's worth it as I find bought GF products expensive and disappointing - apart from Tesco's GF sponge cake mix which is excellent!

Cherrytree59 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:20:14

Wow Thanks everybodytchsmile
I am feeling inspired
A visit to Tesco in the morning.
Then a trial run with all your recipes.
Not the best cook in the world
but fingers crossed we can make something edible for DGS daddy.

kittylester Thu 14-Dec-17 16:51:31

My panettone doesn't contain nuts!!

midgey Thu 14-Dec-17 17:30:34

Marks and Spencer’s have some gluten free treats, the mince pies are very sweet though.

varian Mon 25-Dec-17 17:40:30

Has anyone mastered the art of GF vegan pastry? My OH just said (in a loud voice) "why are these mince pies like concrete?" I don't think I'll be able to shift the rest of them.

midgey Mon 25-Dec-17 18:56:18

Genius make shortcrust pastry ready to roll, it’s available in Tesco in the free from fridge area, Sainsburys have puff pastry in their free from fridge area. We haven’t tried Sainsbury’s one but the Genius is perfectly edible!

BlueBelle Mon 25-Dec-17 19:46:10

Lots of ready made Christmas goodies in all the supermarkets now

tessagee Mon 25-Dec-17 20:50:04

Thank you Merlotgran for your advice. Haven't been able to get Xanthan Gum locally or in Liverpool which is the only city within reasonable travel distance. This added to my babysitting duties with flu ridden children has meant that no home baking was done after all. I'll get online and see what I can buy after all the Christmas razamatazz is finished.

tessagee Mon 25-Dec-17 20:50:04

Thank you Merlotgran for your advice. Haven't been able to get Xanthan Gum locally or in Liverpool which is the only city within reasonable travel distance. This added to my babysitting duties with flu ridden children has meant that no home baking was done after all. I'll get online and see what I can buy after all the Christmas razamatazz is finished.