Gransnet forums

Food

Individual sponge cakes

(11 Posts)
cavewoman Fri 19-Jan-18 07:06:10

Have volunteered to make cakes for OH to take into work to celebrate his birthday.

As there are about a dozen workmates I thought I'd try out my Lakeland 12 individual loose bottomed muffin tray that I've never used .

Quite fancy making fresh cream victoria sponges.
Anyone else used these? Wondering if the 6 ozs recipe would be enough?

tanith Fri 19-Jan-18 07:45:01

If they are going o be muffin size not fairy cake size I don't think 6oz would be enough I'd weigh 3 med/large eggs then use the equivalent fat,flour,sugar. Fresh cream Victoria sponge sounds lovely.

Greyduster Fri 19-Jan-18 08:00:29

I agree with Tanith - they are the proportions I use and you should get a dozen out of that easily.

kittylester Fri 19-Jan-18 08:18:35

I was making a big Victoria sponge with fresh cream today. Now I've got to go and buy the tins to do individual ones - what a good idea!! grin

Marydoll Fri 19-Jan-18 08:29:08

Cavewoman, sounds a good idea.
I bought the mini muffin tins, makes 24 mini cakes. I found a recipe for no fry doughnuts, cooked in the oven, which I make in it. You use natural yoghurt and they are very light. The are absolutely delicious and a good size for little people.

JackyB Fri 19-Jan-18 11:34:02

What about filling a large baking tray (or 2) and making a large rectangle which you could then cut into 3 x 4 small squares? You could put the finished squares in paper cupcake cases for transporting?

Nonnie Fri 19-Jan-18 11:40:14

A new shop has opened here which makes real cakes and bread. They will even make up a cake bouquet. They do look nice but far too much buttercream on top for my liking.

I heard muffins described as 'fairly cakes with attitude'. Liked it.

I'd be inclined to make a bigger batch if you intend to make them muffin sized, you can always freeze the remainder or simply eat them!

Good luck whatever you do.

cavewoman Fri 19-Jan-18 14:16:10

Thanks,all.
Never thought about freezing sponge cakes before,probably because they aren't around long enough!
Just bought a jar of Tiptree jam, (little scarlet) What with the eggs and double cream it would have been cheaper to buy ready made smile

tanith Fri 19-Jan-18 15:05:00

Probably would of cave woman but I guarantee they'll taste much better ?

Welshwife Fri 19-Jan-18 15:13:34

Have the small tins got straight sides? My muffin tins have slightly sloping ones. I have had them so long I cannot remember where I bought them.

Has anyone found a good source of flat baking trays which wash up well? I have tried all sorts and all prices. The heavy ones I bought in the cook shop don’t ping and go out of shape but they still do not wash up nicely. I have found though that using butter to coat them first rather than oil makes it a lot easier to wash and the butter does not burn as the oil does.

Welshwife Fri 19-Jan-18 15:21:21

cavewoman I think your idea of the individual cakes is a lovely one - they would transport well if you have one of those covered cake carrier things with the handle.