Gransnet forums

Food

What do you have for breakfast????

(139 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 27-Jan-18 21:12:50

I have a friend who always has the same thing for breakfast every day ( weetabix with milk and sugar and a banana)now that is very nice, but I couldn’t have the same thing every morning day in day out.
I like to ring the changes so have all manner of things, marmalade on ryvitas or toast, cereal ( bran flakes or porridge or cornflakes with a scattering of dried fruit on)
Poached or scrambled eggs, a bacon roll, croissants, fruitbread, and even now and again pancakes.If I have a favourite amongst those it’s marmalade toast with a huge mug of tea.?
What’s your favourite?

Pittcity Sun 28-Jan-18 08:22:05

Usually marmite on toast. Sometimes DH makes cheese on toast or bacon and/or egg butties. I may alternatively or also have a bowl of cereal. Always with tea.

suzied Sun 28-Jan-18 08:27:07

Organic oats from Aldi made into a porridge with almond milk, various fruit, a blob of alpro non dairy yoghurt coconut or vanilla, topped with chia seeds. Sounds complicated but takes about 2 minutes. Green tea then a coffee. If I’m staying at a hotel I will have a 3 course breakfast.

jusnoneed Sun 28-Jan-18 08:28:35

I used to have cereal but these days I just have a cup of coffee. Don't know how anyone manages to make a cooked breakfast, let alone eat one.
My OH likes the Quaker instant porridge, he stocks up when it's on offer.

tanith Sun 28-Jan-18 08:31:28

'NanKate' I prefer Scott's old fashioned porridge oats with half milk and water with half a spoon of stevia brown sugar takes a few minutes cooking time but so worth it.

travelsafar Sun 28-Jan-18 09:12:38

Just had one weetabix with hot water and one teaspoon cold milk, a cup of tea and now a cup of coffee.

joannapiano Sun 28-Jan-18 09:27:21

Two slices of toasted glutenfree bread with soya marg and a smear of marmalade, and a banana. A cup of coffee.

wildswan16 Sun 28-Jan-18 09:36:53

Proper porridge (no instant stuff), with added blueberries or raspberries. A cup of tea.

TerriBull Sun 28-Jan-18 10:40:23

If I'm going to the gym, 3 mornings a week, I will have porridge, I don't particularly like it but it keeps me full for a few hours, does the job. Although reading Bellasnana's comment I think you need a fairly big bowl of it to sustain you for a few hours. I've been hearing about fridge porridge, oats soaked overnight in natural yogurt, or almond milk, or just milk, then add fruit, never tried it but might give it a go. Non porridge days I either have banana and yogurt, which I've just eaten, or Cornflakes, or a couple of Shredded Wheat. I also have a couple of coffees.
One at 7ish and another a couple of hours later.

Anniebach Sun 28-Jan-18 10:44:11

Rice cakes and honey

maryhoffman37 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:18:22

Pretty much always nectarines and blueberries with nuts and seeds, topped with Greek yoghurt. If not, then porridge with blueberries, runny honey and cream. Once a month a cooked breakfast (vegetarian). Whatever eaten, the drink is always black coffee, made with freshly ground beans.

David1968 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:18:30

A modest helping of porridge made with semi-skimmed milk. (No sugar, honey or sweeter of any kind.) With a little fruit - usually blueberries, plus a few seeds, and a modest dollop of plain yogurt. And a small glass of orange juice to wash down pills! Maybe once a week, some crumpets replace the porridge, just for a change. (Crumpets & Marmite - yum!)

Bathsheba Sun 28-Jan-18 11:19:35

tanith that’s exactly how I do my porridge, same brand too! I do it in the microwave for 3 minutes or sometimes, if I don’t want it straight away, I make it in my Instant Pot. Six minutes on high pressure, so creamy and perfect!

jenpax Sun 28-Jan-18 11:23:50

I don’t like cereals, so never have them. weekdays it’s a slice of granary bread toasted with almond butter or marmite, and a glass of cranberry juice.
Weekends I might have a croissant and coffee, or crepes made with almond milk and lime juice and a dash of brown sugar?
or a special treat once in a blue moon is a cooked breakfast of quorn sweet chilli sausages, garlic sautéed mushrooms, baked beans and a slice of granary toast; occasionally I add grilled halloumi cheese too.

Anniebach Sun 28-Jan-18 11:23:54

May I ask what is an Instant Pot?

Hm999 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:26:49

Tea and porridge if I'm organised. Tea and 2 slices of toast (1 marmite, 1 marmalade) if I'm not.

Urmstongran Sun 28-Jan-18 11:28:14

We had boil in bag kippers yesterday with uncut Hovis & butter, about 10am. Delicious!
This morning, Weetabix with hot milk (nice and mushy!) then toast and thick cut marmalade.
Friday was boiled eggs & crumpets.
Nice to ri g the changes....

moobox Sun 28-Jan-18 11:29:12

One thing a day plus coffee. Every other day it will be something toasted, and the other days alternate between porridge and a choice from about 3 cereals i have

KatyK Sun 28-Jan-18 11:32:19

Porridge with fruit every week day (with a view to being healthy). At the weekend I treat myself to something different.

SunnySusie Sun 28-Jan-18 11:38:30

NanKate I have porridge every day for breakfast and the brand I like the best is Flahavan's Irish Porridge Oats Original. They sell it in my local Tesco. It takes just three minutes in the microwave and is best if you then leave it a minute to stand before eating it. Its just 100% oats, no sugar or additives, but of course you can serve it with anything you like (blueberries in my case).

vickya Sun 28-Jan-18 11:42:17

Most days Tescos Scottish Porridge Oats, 30g zapped in the microwave several times with water and a pinch of salt. Eaten with sweetner and cinnamon. I'm a gold Weightwatcher. I like the porridge as solid as possible smile. Once a week or so 2 weetabix also with water and sweetner. I saw someone on tv do it with water and now don't like milk on it. I would love toast and marmalade too but have to count the Weightwatcher points. If I very rarely stay in a hotel with a breakfast buffet I go mad! Cereal, fruit, bacon, egg, sausage, toast, marmalade, croissant, danish...2 pots of black tea, ask for hot water to make it weaker. I can gain 5lbs in one non-weightwatching weekend.

Craftycat Sun 28-Jan-18 11:42:48

Toast & Marmite ideally or sometimes porridge but as on low carb diet since Christmas I am having an Avocado. A cup of good coffee too. I have 2 cups of tea before I get out of bed without fail every day.

Victoria08 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:45:22

A fruit and veg smoothie every morning made in my Nutribullit.
I make it very thick and it fills me up until lunch time.

inishowen Sun 28-Jan-18 11:46:47

I have tea and two slices of toast. I can't vary from that. It's just what I fancy in the mornings. DH has a great variety of breakfasts but I refuse to join in with tomatoes on toast, or fruit chopped up in cereal!

Saggi Sun 28-Jan-18 11:48:42

16:8 diet ....what is that?

LJP1 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:49:20

Always a protein source (egg, beans, cheeses, yogurt or ham, etc.) needed for brain work. Studies show that with only carbs and fats cognition is not at its best.