Gransnet forums

Food

Healthy? Foods

(14 Posts)
Galen Sun 04-Feb-18 14:47:06

Has anyone tried Kimchee and Kaffir?

silverlining48 Sun 04-Feb-18 15:35:36

I know of kaffir only through listening to the archers, unsure what it is, a drink? Need to google.

hildajenniJ Sun 04-Feb-18 15:41:44

You use Kaffir lime leaves in Thai and other Asian curries. As for kimchee, I really don't fancy fermented cabbage and radishes. ??

Jane10 Sun 04-Feb-18 15:51:40

Keffir is a sort of yoghurty drink. Apparently it has all sorts of health benefits. I got some in Sainsbury's once. It was OK.

Salmo Sun 04-Feb-18 15:54:28

I make Kefir yoghurt regularly. I put it on top of my breakfast cereal, or eat it with fruit. It can be diluted a little and taken as a drink. It is supposed to improve gut biota. It tastes more "yogurty" than the commercial bio-yoghurts.
It isn't difficult to make & a culture made from the starter sachet(readily available online) lasts for months before a fresh start is needed

Farmor15 Sun 04-Feb-18 16:27:56

I have had a kefir culture for years but don’t drink the fermented milk it makes- much too sour. I just use it instead of buttermilk for brown soda bread, scones and pancakes. I wouldn’t be convinced of any more health benefits than yogurt.
Tried kimchee- like a spicy sauerkraut, didn’t like.

Salmo Sun 04-Feb-18 17:12:44

I think there must be different types of kefir. The one I make is not unlike commercial yogurt in texture, and not very strong in taste. If it gets a bit too sour tasting, I take that as a sign a fresh culture is needed. I also use it in bread & scones sometimes.

SueDonim Sun 04-Feb-18 19:28:15

What's the difference between regular home made yoghurt and kefir?

Farmor15 Sun 04-Feb-18 20:10:39

Kefir is made from kefir “grains” which are a bit like very small pieces of cauliflower. Used to be called buttermilk “plant”. You just put them in milk and leave at room temp for about 24 hours, then pour through strainer to separate, then add to fresh milk. The “grains” actually have a mix of bacteria and yeast. The yeast produces a very small amount of alcohol and carbon dioxide so sometimes it’s a bit fizzy. The bacteria sour the milk. Commercially made kefir may be different.
Yogurt has different bacteria, needs a higher temp to ferment, and no yeast.

SueDonim Sun 04-Feb-18 20:32:57

Thank you! Are the grains reusable or can you make further batches using some of the first batch, as with yoghurt?

Farmor15 Sun 04-Feb-18 21:14:13

Grains are reusable and keep going forever- gradually multiply, so after a while you can divide and give some away. If anyone wants some, PM me and I can post them. I’ve had my culture about 10 years now! I sometimes only transfer to fresh milk every few weeks, meanwhile I keep in fridge. Interestingly, it doesn’t seem to get mouldy, even if kept a long time- I think it has some type of natural preservative.

Farmor15 Sun 04-Feb-18 21:16:06

It’s easier to make than yogurt, as there’s no heating or keeping warm involved.

giulia Sun 04-Feb-18 22:48:22

I take two big gulps of commercial kefir before going to bed and another first thing in the morning. It is good for my irritable bowel syndrome. Also reduces/eliminates wind from down under (which used to embarrass me greatly).

Tegan2 Sun 04-Feb-18 23:28:59

I think it had a good review in Trust me I'm a Doctor, but I got the impression it's only really good if you make it fresh yourself and that's beyond my culinary skills [I can't even make yoghurt in those yoghurt making kits]...