Gransnet forums

Food

Trying new things.

(32 Posts)
1974cookie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:05:30

I had never tried Gorgonzola until today when a shop assistant gave me a sample to try.
Oh my goodness, what have I been missing!!
It is so utterly gorgeous, so moreish. I am hooked.
I have decided that because of it's lovely creamy, melting texture, it would be lovely stirred into hot pasta with just a few walnuts added. It's a start, so:
Do any of you lovely Gransnetters have any recipes that I could also try using this delectable cheese??

wotnot Thu 22-Feb-18 20:53:15

Although I love seafood I always avoid octopus and mussels. I tried octopus in Italy and it really put me off, very chewy and dislike of mussels goes back to when I was little, I recall sometimes going to a seafood stand with my parents and having cockles and/or winkles (they may be the same thing), parents always had jellied eels and mussels. A couple of nights ago went to an Italian restaurant and OH ordered deep fried octopus and mussels in a creamy lemon garlic sauce. Delicious, in fact I scoffed up most of the mussels with the sauce and crusty bread. So much for my diet.

shysal Mon 19-Feb-18 07:51:16

Thanks oldgoat, I might be brave and give one a try.

oldgoat Sun 18-Feb-18 08:35:42

To test whether an avocado is ripe, cup it in the palm of your hand and squeeze gently.
If you store avocados in the fridge they go black.

shirleyhick Sat 17-Feb-18 21:12:14

I have never tried it so don't know what I might of been missing I will have to give it a try

sweetcakes Sat 17-Feb-18 20:26:23

Google gorgonzola recipes you should get loads of ideas

shysal Sat 17-Feb-18 18:41:01

1974cookie, thank you. Can I ask how can you tell that an avocado is ripe when buying?

pattieb, yes you can ear the skin of figs. When eating raw I hold the stalk end and eat like a lollipop.

Pittcity Sat 17-Feb-18 17:45:52

1974cookie Roquefort is made from sheep's milk whereas Gorgonzola is cow's milk.

pattieb Sat 17-Feb-18 17:40:09

There’s a few replies re figs. Can I ask do you eat the skin?
I too have only just discovered Gorgonzola it’s sooo nice
Do you think taste changes as we get older?
As a child I didn’t like any cheeses ....Making up for that now though !

1974cookie Sat 17-Feb-18 17:39:48

shysal. A really simple recipe for Avocado.
First, cut the Avocado in half lengthways. Remove the stone with a teaspoon. You now have 2 halves with convenient hollows with which to fill with whatever you want.
Mix a tin of drained Tuna fish with enough mayonnaise to make a stiff dropping consistency. Add the juice of half a freshly squeezed small lemon, a little freshly ground black pepper and mix thoroughly.
Serve in the hollow of the Avocado where the stone was removed. Serve immediately with a salad and crusty bread.
Really simple but so yummy.
Hope that this helps you to discover the wonderful Avocado.

1974cookie Sat 17-Feb-18 17:24:12

I have never tried Roquefort either.
Is this similar to Gorgonzola?

Skynnylynny Sat 17-Feb-18 16:18:32

Cheese on fruit cake especially Christmas cake is an old Yorkshire favourite.

annifrance Sat 17-Feb-18 14:11:26

My favourite cheese. Try with slices of avocado and sweet pears drizzled with a Gorgonzola and creme fraiche dressing. Or figs with honey and Gorgonzola dressing. Pasta,and walnuts is a dream.

janeainsworth Sat 17-Feb-18 13:05:19

Oh shysal you haven’t lived! Get down to the shops now, stock up and make up for lost timegrin

marionk Sat 17-Feb-18 12:46:38

If you want a nice wine to go with it then opt for a pudding wine - I was sceptical when I was served it in New Zealand but they worked so well together!

Peardrop50 Sat 17-Feb-18 11:40:41

Gorgonzola and figs yum

shysal Sat 17-Feb-18 10:57:08

I am also a fan of baked Gorgonzola on figs. I only started eating figs about 10 years ago as their appearance is rather ugly. They are now one of my favourite fruits.

As a child I missed out on lots of delicious things by thinking I wouldn't like them, such as clotted cream and soft cheeses, which I now enjoy. However, I have yet to try an avocado, which I am assured are heavenly and healthy! blush

Greyduster Sat 17-Feb-18 10:37:40

I shall have to try it. At the moment I am having a bit of a love affair with Roquefort.

oldgaijin Sat 17-Feb-18 10:20:56

I love Gorgonzola in a watercress salad with pears and walnuts...yummo!

craftynan Sat 17-Feb-18 10:04:22

Aldi do nice Gorgonzola. I don’t know how much it is in Waitrose but the Aldi one is under £2. They have picante or dop, I always get the picante as it has that extra tang.

NotSpaghetti Sat 17-Feb-18 09:42:42

It's lovely on figs.
Cut figs in half and put it on top. Bake.
Serve hot.
Yum.
- lets hope we have a fig glut! Lol!

1974cookie Fri 16-Feb-18 17:45:29

jollyg. The gorgonzola came from Waitrose and the same one that you mentioned. I only bought it because it had been drastically reduced. ( Oh how I wish that I had bought more )
The problem is that now that I have discovered just how fabulous it is, I would need a second mortgage to buy the same amount as before, at the proper price ?.

jollyg Fri 16-Feb-18 15:36:25

Sorry had to look up what to sandwich was.... Mascarpone.

If I go to the net to confirm things, my post dies, another moan I have with this site

jollyg Fri 16-Feb-18 15:33:08

Waitrose sells Torta di Gorgonzola. Its delicious and so moreish. A cheese sandwich.

I also love Cambazola, but rarely buy it as there must be a mouse in the fridge which devours it in the night!

goose1964 Fri 16-Feb-18 14:36:38

slightly undercook your steak crumble gorgonzola over the steak and pop under a hot grill until it melts

Bathsheba Sat 10-Feb-18 18:52:19

I love both gorgonzola and stilton! And I like the pear idea Deedaa - fruit and cheese always goes so well together. A favourite fruit/cheese combo of mine is brie (or Dolcelatte, Cambezola, Camembert) and red grapes in a sandwich. Absolute heaven!