Gransnet forums

Food

Trying new things.

(31 Posts)
1974cookie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:05:30

I had never tried Gorgonzola until today when a shop assistant gave me a sample to try.
Oh my goodness, what have I been missing!!
It is so utterly gorgeous, so moreish. I am hooked.
I have decided that because of it's lovely creamy, melting texture, it would be lovely stirred into hot pasta with just a few walnuts added. It's a start, so:
Do any of you lovely Gransnetters have any recipes that I could also try using this delectable cheese??

nanasam Fri 09-Feb-18 18:35:26

I put gorgonzola into portobello mushrooms and bake in the oven, it's really tasty.

hildajenniJ Fri 09-Feb-18 20:19:55

I love trying new things, I'll try anything once, but sorry cookie, gorgonzola is yucky!! I don't like Stilton either. I tried vegetarian black pudding last week, it was gorgeous, and tasted just like it's blood pudding counterpart. Next time I'm in the wholefood shop where my DD bought it, I'll get some.

hildajenniJ Fri 09-Feb-18 20:22:29

Oops sorry no recipes!! ?

Deedaa Fri 09-Feb-18 22:00:45

In Italy they eat sliced pears with gorgonzola crumbled over them and honey drizzled over the top.

1974cookie Sat 10-Feb-18 18:38:57

Hey no problem hildajennij. I wasn't sure about gorgonzola myself until yesterday.
nanasam and Deedaa. Thank you so much for your recipe ideas, I will try them out as they both sound gorgeous.
The pasta idea worked out really well too.??.

Bathsheba Sat 10-Feb-18 18:52:19

I love both gorgonzola and stilton! And I like the pear idea Deedaa - fruit and cheese always goes so well together. A favourite fruit/cheese combo of mine is brie (or Dolcelatte, Cambezola, Camembert) and red grapes in a sandwich. Absolute heaven!

goose1964 Fri 16-Feb-18 14:36:38

slightly undercook your steak crumble gorgonzola over the steak and pop under a hot grill until it melts

jollyg Fri 16-Feb-18 15:33:08

Waitrose sells Torta di Gorgonzola. Its delicious and so moreish. A cheese sandwich.

I also love Cambazola, but rarely buy it as there must be a mouse in the fridge which devours it in the night!

jollyg Fri 16-Feb-18 15:36:25

Sorry had to look up what to sandwich was.... Mascarpone.

If I go to the net to confirm things, my post dies, another moan I have with this site

1974cookie Fri 16-Feb-18 17:45:29

jollyg. The gorgonzola came from Waitrose and the same one that you mentioned. I only bought it because it had been drastically reduced. ( Oh how I wish that I had bought more )
The problem is that now that I have discovered just how fabulous it is, I would need a second mortgage to buy the same amount as before, at the proper price ?.

NotSpaghetti Sat 17-Feb-18 09:42:42

It's lovely on figs.
Cut figs in half and put it on top. Bake.
Serve hot.
Yum.
- lets hope we have a fig glut! Lol!

craftynan Sat 17-Feb-18 10:04:22

Aldi do nice Gorgonzola. I don’t know how much it is in Waitrose but the Aldi one is under £2. They have picante or dop, I always get the picante as it has that extra tang.

oldgaijin Sat 17-Feb-18 10:20:56

I love Gorgonzola in a watercress salad with pears and walnuts...yummo!

Greyduster Sat 17-Feb-18 10:37:40

I shall have to try it. At the moment I am having a bit of a love affair with Roquefort.

shysal Sat 17-Feb-18 10:57:08

I am also a fan of baked Gorgonzola on figs. I only started eating figs about 10 years ago as their appearance is rather ugly. They are now one of my favourite fruits.

As a child I missed out on lots of delicious things by thinking I wouldn't like them, such as clotted cream and soft cheeses, which I now enjoy. However, I have yet to try an avocado, which I am assured are heavenly and healthy! blush

Peardrop50 Sat 17-Feb-18 11:40:41

Gorgonzola and figs yum

marionk Sat 17-Feb-18 12:46:38

If you want a nice wine to go with it then opt for a pudding wine - I was sceptical when I was served it in New Zealand but they worked so well together!

janeainsworth Sat 17-Feb-18 13:05:19

Oh shysal you haven’t lived! Get down to the shops now, stock up and make up for lost timegrin

annifrance Sat 17-Feb-18 14:11:26

My favourite cheese. Try with slices of avocado and sweet pears drizzled with a Gorgonzola and creme fraiche dressing. Or figs with honey and Gorgonzola dressing. Pasta,and walnuts is a dream.

Skynnylynny Sat 17-Feb-18 16:18:32

Cheese on fruit cake especially Christmas cake is an old Yorkshire favourite.

1974cookie Sat 17-Feb-18 17:24:12

I have never tried Roquefort either.
Is this similar to Gorgonzola?

1974cookie Sat 17-Feb-18 17:39:48

shysal. A really simple recipe for Avocado.
First, cut the Avocado in half lengthways. Remove the stone with a teaspoon. You now have 2 halves with convenient hollows with which to fill with whatever you want.
Mix a tin of drained Tuna fish with enough mayonnaise to make a stiff dropping consistency. Add the juice of half a freshly squeezed small lemon, a little freshly ground black pepper and mix thoroughly.
Serve in the hollow of the Avocado where the stone was removed. Serve immediately with a salad and crusty bread.
Really simple but so yummy.
Hope that this helps you to discover the wonderful Avocado.

pattieb Sat 17-Feb-18 17:40:09

There’s a few replies re figs. Can I ask do you eat the skin?
I too have only just discovered Gorgonzola it’s sooo nice
Do you think taste changes as we get older?
As a child I didn’t like any cheeses ....Making up for that now though !

Pittcity Sat 17-Feb-18 17:45:52

1974cookie Roquefort is made from sheep's milk whereas Gorgonzola is cow's milk.