Gransnet forums

Food

Your “go to” comfort food?

(117 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 13-Feb-18 19:48:12

I am a keen cook, have even done it professionally, but when I feel poorly (like today) my “go to” is warm toast with peanut butter.
Or tinned tomato soup (Heinz de préférence)
If I have the energy, (which I don’t) my final favourite is thick sliced ham, fried egg and (oven) chips.

cornergran Sun 18-Feb-18 12:55:14

Today its jelly and ice cream, exellent for the throat. Usually its cheese on (sadly gluten free) toast.

NfkDumpling Sun 18-Feb-18 12:45:04

They’re talking about comfort food on the Radio Four Food Programme at this very moment. Do they have a GN spy do you think?

haporthrosie Fri 16-Feb-18 07:47:01

Eggs in a cup, oh yes ...

Welsh rarebit, bubble & squeak, rich tea biscuits, any sort of suet pudding with custard, Heinz tomato soup, proper chips (especially egg & chips or cod & chips) cauliflower cheese, sausages, boiled mince with bashed neeps, mash with gravy, mash with cheese and tomato, cream cakes, lardy cake, Eccles cakes, crumpets, fry-ups, macaroni cheese, cheese on toast, cheese with more cheese, gentleman's relish or anchovy paste on toast, Bovril on toast, kedgeree, treacle sponge, bread & jam, Dundee cake, condensed milk sandwiches, tinned fruit with evap, cream teas, tiramisu, almost any mild, Northern Indian food & those wonderful puddings - especially kheer with cardamom.

I have to put quite a bit of effort into stopping myself from drinking ridiculous amounts of Lucozade & hot Ribena no matter how fit I'm feeling.

Ovaltine, Bournvita, massive scalding cups of cha.

Some Romany friends give their children warm orange juice mixed with honey when they've sore throats or can't sleep. If I were their kids I'd pretend to be poorly & wakeful all the time - it's so soothing.

Dragonfly, oh yes I remember & adore egg pie. Ultimate comfort.

Lindiann, I'm so glad you reminded me of the Oxo cube/butter/bread cure. Lovely & it always worked.

Does anyone else remember 'poor knight's fritters' or was that just something my Mum or Nana made up? Jam sandwiches dipped in beaten egg then fried ... absolute heaven.

My thyroid's wildly over-active which means I'm always hungry!

Still miss Oliver Twist chocolate bars.

MawBroon, you are astonishing & I very much hope you're feeling better!

mrsmopp Thu 15-Feb-18 23:58:31

Banana for breakfast every morning ,with a big dollop of home made yogurt and some defrosted assorted berries piled on top.

Happilyretired123 Thu 15-Feb-18 23:49:36

Heinz Tomato soup with white bread to dip in. Fish finger sandwiches

Clarecrip1 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:19:26

Scrambled eggs and baked beans

indispensableme Thu 15-Feb-18 20:52:54

Warbies crumpets, cooled, lots of butter, spread cheese.

Pringles!

Fennel Thu 15-Feb-18 18:29:55

gmelon wrote:
"There is such a demand for lovely bread why isn't there any being sold en mass?"
As I've written in another thread (about selling home baked food) - to make a tasty loaf takes a lot of time, and can be expensive.
Nowadays most people want to eat 'right now', and haven't got the time to wait.
eg a sourdough starter takes at least a week to be ready to use.

Daddima Thu 15-Feb-18 14:59:50

I remember when my mother was very poorly, my father could always provide a very tempting, tasty dish. Her dear friend Nancy used to always say that the best her husband could come up with was a cup of coffee and a Kit Kat!

I suspect the Bodach would be in Nancy’s husband’s team!

gmelon Thu 15-Feb-18 12:36:24

The mention of bread is repeated time and time again.
Makes me wonder why shop bought bread is so horrid.
There is such a demand for lovely bread why isn't there any being sold en mass?

gmelon Thu 15-Feb-18 12:31:52

[*whitewave*] can we have the lamb ragu recipe please smile
When I'm ill my husband leaves strawberries , grapes , tiny boxes of nuts by my bed. Accompanied by glasses of fresh pink grapefruit juice which I love.
As a child when ill my mother would leave me in bed to be hungry unless I could put in an appearance at the table.

Thirdinline Thu 15-Feb-18 08:45:43

Would love to eat so many of the things named above, but with sensitivity to wheat and dairy most are off the menu. I can still eat porridge though, made with rice milk and with a dessert spoonful of golden syrup mmm!

My DH introduced the family to egg in a cup: soft boiled eggs cut up in a cup with butter. I thought it’s a Scottish thing as he’s from Glasgow.

Nannyme Thu 15-Feb-18 07:20:16

Crumpets with lots of real butter, yummy

Seaside22 Thu 15-Feb-18 05:44:09

Yes Kittye you can still buy them £1 for a big box in Asda.I buy them very occasionally, and pretend their for my Granddaughter, she does like them as a dry biscuit.Don't think their particularly healthy though .

FarNorth Wed 14-Feb-18 22:49:38

My DH used to be given warm lemonade, when ill. I'd never heard of that one.
If I'm ill, or getting better, I like Smash potato, or custard, or readybrek.
If I'm just unhappy or fed up, I still like custard or Grape-nuts with raisins and warm milk.

cavaliermum Wed 14-Feb-18 22:38:53

Mince and real dumplings every time
Hot and tasty

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Feb-18 22:35:34

Another one for egg in a cup!
And yes I thought it was just something my mother did!shock

etheltbags1 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:31:06

Eggs done anyway with crusty bread. Heinz tomato soup or chicken soup and toast with jam or honey also raw onions

Pittcity Wed 14-Feb-18 21:25:31

Another vote for toast and marmite here!

squirrel5 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:24:29

Just reading the posts late in the day,my ultimate comfort food has to be soft boiled egg and buttery toast soldiers,also tinned peaches and icecream,

Boolya Wed 14-Feb-18 21:20:56

Hot lemonade (diet sort these days); white sliced bread with butter (Lurpak) & Bovril spread thickly. .

Overthehills Wed 14-Feb-18 21:17:46

Chopped eggs in a cup!! I thought my mother invented that! I’m having it tomorrow whether I need comforting or not!

jacq10 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:13:12

Bang goes Frugal February!!! I know I will have one of the above tomorrow but it has been a great post.

shirleyhick Wed 14-Feb-18 21:09:09

Crusty bread with thick butter

MargaretX Wed 14-Feb-18 20:35:48

Tea and Toast always.

GabriellaG mentioned chopped eggs. That is what my mother always made. I called it eggs-in-a-cup. when small. I loved it and didnt know anyone else ever had it or knew about it.