Gransnet forums

Food

Breadmakers

(13 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Sat 17-Feb-18 09:34:06

Following on from all the delicious breads you gransnetters make, please can you recommend a bread maker, I’m sure it’s been on a thread before but I can’t find it, many thanks??

Marydoll Sat 17-Feb-18 10:29:39

www.gransnet.com/forums/food/a1242278-Breadmaker

Hope this helps.
My old Russell Hobbs packed up before Christmas and I ended up buying a Panasonic.
It is like night and day. I love it.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 17-Feb-18 10:39:23

Marydoll very many thanks for the linksmile

Nannylovesshopping Sat 17-Feb-18 10:44:52

Definitely seems to be thumbs up all round for the Panasonic, shall now use my best shopping skills and find the cheapest price!

nanasam Sat 17-Feb-18 10:54:05

I've had 2 Panasonic breadmakers and they are fantastic.

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Feb-18 12:54:31

The Panasonic bread maker.
There is a five hour proving time that allows the yeast to properly mature and bring out the malty flavour of the bread. Much shorter baking times does not allow that flavour to develop.
There are quicker baking cycles but it only takes a little more organisation to start putting in on earlier. The bread really needs to "settle" anyway or it is diffcult to cut.

Janie7779 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:15:50

Any recommendations for a breadmaker that produces a horizontal loaf rather than a vertical one?

Marydoll Sat 24-Feb-18 22:24:38

I've learned something new. I never realised there was such a thing. WHICH have a report on them.

Janie7779 Sat 24-Feb-18 23:07:29

Marydoll, I found one through Home Depot (I’m from Indiana, USA) that makes a nice horizontal loaf . The manufacturer is Breadman. It has good reviews, but I thought if any of you ladies had recommendations, I would check them out. There are more models available, but most are out of my budget limit.

Marydoll Sat 24-Feb-18 23:38:50

Glad to hear it Janie I was intrigued and started researching. I'm an inquisitive old biddy.☺️
I do love my breadmaker.

NanaMacGeek Sat 24-Feb-18 23:40:56

The Panasonic makes 3 loaf sizes, Medium (M), Large (L) and Extra Large (EL). Since the same bread pan is used for all sizes, the loaves get 'taller', with M being a normal (horizontal) loaf and EL being tall. I tend to use the L setting when I make a wholemeal loaf (higher proportions of ingredients) - because the bread is more dense and makes a smaller loaf, I still get a delicious ‘horizontal’ loaf. I've never used the EL setting to make a loaf, but it would be rather tall and awkward to cut. However, you could make the dough on the EL setting and shape larger quantities by hand for oven baking. Hope this helps.

Janie7779 Sun 25-Feb-18 00:58:08

Marydoll, I have read many of your posts, and I will agree you are inquisitive, (me, too!) but you’re definitely not an old biddy.

Nana, thank you so much for your response! The M setting would probably be just right for hubby and me.

Scribbles Sun 25-Feb-18 12:28:44

Before I got my current Panasonic, I had a Breville breadmaker which produced tall, thin loaves. We found the simple answer was to turn them on to their sides to cut. Thus, we got nice, square slices for sandwiches.