Gransnet forums

Food

Am I the only one to find that this weather brings out the creative side of me?

(15 Posts)
henetha Sun 04-Mar-18 14:31:53

In the freezer there was a large shepherd's pie which I made for a family gathering which never happened. So, in view of the weather and supplies being a bit challenging, I thawed it out and ate the lot. It lasted me for 4 meals. It would have been 5 meals except that I managed to tip a whole plateful upside down on the lounge carpet.angry

vampirequeen Sun 04-Mar-18 12:12:07

Sadly I haven't been creative. The weather has pushed me into binge eating mode so bang went my, up to now, successful healthy eating plan. Mind you my binging has been on Weetabix so I'm consoling myself that at least it wasn't totally empty calories but I think I might be fooling myself somewhat grin

Witzend Sun 04-Mar-18 12:08:17

I've been using up what I've got, too, even though I could have got to the shops if necessary - it's not been too dire here.

Made a chilli 'non' carne the other night, tins of toms and kidney beans that had been in the cupboard for ages. V nice too. Had no chilli powder but there was one red chilli that had got a bit dried up and wrinkly.

Also a substantial mulligatawny soup last night, using up some leftover roast chicken that had been in the freezer quite a while.

Plus my old standby of what my mother used to call 'dustbin soup" - i.e. whatever veggies etc. you happen to have, inc. any past their best and the odd morsel of dried up ham or rasher of bacon - I added red lentils and pearl barley, with plenty of grated cheese on top. Dh would eat this every night!

janeainsworth Thu 01-Mar-18 09:23:45

Oh we feed the birds as well as ourselves Pamela.
MrA loves them.

Teetime Thu 01-Mar-18 09:22:32

No I need some warmth and sun to get me going - all I want to do at the moment is crawl back under the duvet.

PamelaJ1 Thu 01-Mar-18 08:46:55

Janeainsworth I’m doing the opposite, like others on here I’m scouring the cupboards for food for the birds.
I’ve found some buckwheat that I’ve never known what to do with. I’m boiling it up, can they have it raw?

janeainsworth Thu 01-Mar-18 08:28:51

Fortunately we’ve run out of mealworms nellie grin
I do like a suet pudding thoughsmile

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Mar-18 00:17:26

It didn't work. hmm
and it was yesterday

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Mar-18 00:15:48

Mealworms always look as if they're wriggling around when you wet them before putting them out.
Most offputting!

I have made a huge batch of leek and potato soup today and some Welsh cakes for DH. St David's Day wouldn't be the same without them, apparently

[tchdaffodil]

Nelliemoser Wed 28-Feb-18 23:19:21

JaneAinsworth would your OH consider that mealworms and suet chunks could be a suitable meal.

janeainsworth Wed 28-Feb-18 23:11:46

Men grin

merlotgran Wed 28-Feb-18 23:04:21

grin janea.

DH assures me that if we run out of food he could 'Bowl over a pheasant or two'

Seeing as he is partially sighted and surrendered his guns ten years ago I'd love to know how he's going to manage it.

janeainsworth Wed 28-Feb-18 22:50:02

MrA today asked worriedly how many days’ food I ‘had in’.
I reassured him we could last at least a week, since I can make a dinner from anything.
He then said if the worst came to the worst, we could use up the wild bird foodshockgrin

wotnot Wed 28-Feb-18 20:58:48

Lots of slightly shriveled and wrinkly looking veg. in the fridge turned into lovely warm and nourishing soup.

1974cookie Wed 28-Feb-18 19:22:17

Normally, I admit that I can be a bit wasteful where food is concerned, but this snowy weather has made me think differently.
I have just made a quiche from left over pastry, and a red pepper that was languishing at the bottom of the fridge.
This weather has brought out the Frugal in me, and in all honesty, I am loving it.
Have any other Gransnetters experienced this feeling?