Gransnet forums

Food

So, no bread or milk. How much of a problem was it for you?

(47 Posts)
Daddima Mon 05-Mar-18 14:04:29

Seems that during the big snow, people were desperate for bread and milk. My morning coffee was made in the machine, and we had enough bread for the Bodach’s lunchtime sandwich, so not really a problem.

ginny Fri 09-Mar-18 08:43:11

I too always have milk and bread in the freezer .I also keep a couple of packs of bread mix. Easy to use and quite tasty.
Have discovered a delicious tomato soup made from store cupboard items.
1 tin chopped tomatoes.
1 tin carrots.
1 tin baked beans.
1/2 pt of veg. stock
1 pickled onion.
Put all in a saucepan, blitz with hand blender and heat.

NfkDumpling Fri 09-Mar-18 07:31:03

Gosh, I feel as if I live in a different country. The snow has been gone for several days now - apart from some heaps of dirty muck which are drift shaped and glistening white underneath. The temperature yesterday was 8C and the rivers are in full flood. The change was very quick. There are still a few gaps on the shop shelves though but essentials are back to normal. Things never used to catch up so quickly. Having a dual carriageway out of Norfolk has changed our lives!

Grannybags Thu 08-Mar-18 12:46:01

Still no milk in our local Sainsbury's. We live near Bristol so not exactly isolated!

annodomini Thu 08-Mar-18 11:25:04

Not as much snow here as in many other areas but I am very wary of icy pavements so hibernated for most of last week. The only thing I ran out of was bananas. Don't like milk and don't need bread and don't have to cater for anyone but myself.

Anniebach Thu 08-Mar-18 10:17:01

First delivery from Tesco today , first since last Wednesday, they are out of baked potatoes, chicken, yoghurt, gluten free Hobnobs so many items.

Alexa Thu 08-Mar-18 09:47:06

Gosh Dumpling! I never knew that. Will do!

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Mar-18 19:27:55

If you freeze milk Annie don’t forget to take a little bit out first to allow for expansion!

M0nica Tue 06-Mar-18 18:33:24

What has amazed me is the number of people living on the high fells of Cumbria or in other remote rural areas, where being cut off by snow must be an annual event, who have nothing in the store cupboard and run out of food and fuel within 2 or 3 days.

My store cupboards in the kitchen have a range of food stuffs in from tinned basics like tomatoes, soup, baked beans and cooking ingredients, while my chest freezer has bulk bought meat and garden produce and home made ready meals. Without intention, enough to last several seeks, if not longer.

OldMeg Tue 06-Mar-18 13:44:12

We were warned snow was on the way so night I extra milk and one extra bread and that did us. Nearly ran out of dog food though.

Esspee Tue 06-Mar-18 13:12:56

We also had a very sobering moment when we noticed some anonymous kind neighbour had cleared from our back tyres down the drive to the road plus the pavement in front of the house.
Clearly we have now moved into the "elderly neighbour" category. hmm

Esspee Tue 06-Mar-18 13:08:30

Discovered a great combination. Muesli with Rumchata. (A cream rum liqueur). What the heck, we weren't going to be driving! grin

jusnoneed Tue 06-Mar-18 12:45:42

I always keep a pint of milk in the freezer. It does look a bit iffy when you defrost it as it 'splits' but give it a good shake and it fine.

Anniebach Tue 06-Mar-18 11:51:44

I didn't know milk could be frozen

POGS Tue 06-Mar-18 10:50:40

Having been 'caught out' many moons ago I am never without milk or bread in the freezer and there were plenty of warnings the Beast from the East was on the way.

I was surprised when talking about this to a friend as she didn't know you can freeze milk sold in plastic bottles.

Granny23 Tue 06-Mar-18 10:47:16

Having been 'confined to barracks' with coughs and colds for nearly two weeks before the snow came, we had already depleted store cupboard and freezer stocks before the snow arrived. We did manage foodwise with some rather unusual menus grin but, with the central heating not working properly, we rapidly ran out of fuel for the open fire and could not replace it from the hillside as usual.

I could have walked by myself the half mile to the big shop, but could not risk leaving DH 'home alone' for so long. He does have a MECS alarm but as the MECS wardens could not have come to our snowed in village, I reckoned that I had best stay at home, rather than going out and perhaps falling. DH has been even more confused than usual - routine all to pot - and as a creature of habit missing his porridge (no milk) and daily banana. Thankfully we had a good supply of prescribed medication, otherwise, with the pharmacist unable to reach the pharmacy, we would have been in dire straits.

I am thinking also of the children, who rely on school dinners for at least one decent meal a day. Having just returned to school on the Monday after a week's mid term break, they were off again from Wednesday until yesterday.

Anniebach Tue 06-Mar-18 09:58:42

I am so fed up, didn't have milk for five days, yesterday back to normal today I dropped a glass pint on the kitchen floor so back to no milk

lemongrove Tue 06-Mar-18 09:50:57

Mawbroon ‘hysteria from Siberia’ grin yes, as always the media bigs things up!

Alexa Tue 06-Mar-18 09:45:55

I had no milk. But I had skimmed dried milk and Coffee Mate which mixed together with hot water were a delicious solution. Okay strictly not a solution but a mixture. And very nice with Granola. Coop budget Granola, a great buy!

Mamie Tue 06-Mar-18 09:35:02

We sometimes get cut off for three or four days in heavy snow. When that happens we make bread for the hamlet from our stock of flour and get milk from one of the farmers. If the electricity is off, we light the bread oven. It has been easier in recent years because the village now has a snow blade that attaches to a tractor. We keep a full larder and freezer because we are 10km from the nearest shop. I think we could survive for several weeks if necessary.

jusnoneed Tue 06-Mar-18 08:32:35

I buy enough the week too, I usually only shop once a week so everything is bought then. Cannot be doing this shopping daily or every couple days lark lol.
I always think treated milk has a funny taste to it, when I go to my Dads I drink my coffee black if that is all he has in the fridge.
I always have a small stock of stuff in the cupboard, another one who lived in a village when young. My Nan always had a store of the essentials, she could of easily survived a month or more without shopping.

kittylester Tue 06-Mar-18 08:02:51

I'm somewhat baffled by people having to resort to longline or uht milk. I buy enough fresh milk for a week when I do my supermarket shop.

We have no milk deliveries round here.

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Mar-18 07:59:20

I think we've all got too complacent. I was brought up in the country and we always had a good store cupboard and dried milk 'just in case'. Now we live in a small town but even so have a good store cupboard through habit. Apparently there was no problem here with shortages even though the town was cut off, it seems old habits die hard around here. I say apparently as we were stuck in a hotel ten miles outside Amsterdam for a couple of days, courtesy of KLM. Even if the planes had been flying we couldn't have got home from Norwich airport so we didn't push for the first flights in!

MrsJamJam Tue 06-Mar-18 07:51:10

Well, luckily we had good supplies of tonic for the gin and no problems with food for the dog so the whole family was happy!

SparklyGrandma Tue 06-Mar-18 00:12:17

A kind friend drove me to a supermarket but no fresh milk available and only bread was white soft bread rools but I have enough UHT milk at home to last me another month.

Main problem not food but medication which was due to be delivered on Friday 2/3. GP surgery phone ringing off the hook today, heart rate racing all day - no heart tablets and no Metformin since last Thursday.

Eloethan Tue 06-Mar-18 00:03:03

We live in London and have several big shops/supermarkets within walking distance. There didn't seem to be any problems re milk, bread, etc., but the snow wasn't anywhere near as bad as in some areas.

I suppose it would have been more of an issue for people living in more rural, isolated areas where difficulties with transport meant supplies couldn't be replenished as easily.

I do think that the media coverage was a bit over the top and encouraged people who weren't particularly affected by heavy snowfall to panic unnecessarily.