Gransnet forums

Food

So, no bread or milk. How much of a problem was it for you?

(46 Posts)
Daddima Mon 05-Mar-18 14:04:29

Seems that during the big snow, people were desperate for bread and milk. My morning coffee was made in the machine, and we had enough bread for the Bodach’s lunchtime sandwich, so not really a problem.

tanith Mon 05-Mar-18 14:07:43

Our shops were all well stocked as were we and we could walk to them if we didn't want to drive. No problems at all

baubles Mon 05-Mar-18 14:14:47

Still no milk this morning in the supermarket I tried, did get bread though, first since last Tuesday.

baubles Mon 05-Mar-18 14:15:59

Forgot to say it wasn’t really a problem, I drink black tea and coffee but DH was beginning to crave toast. grin

chelseababy Mon 05-Mar-18 14:17:21

No problem here either. I usually have some milk and bread in freezer but didn't need it.

Pittcity Mon 05-Mar-18 14:19:56

My men bought some Polish bread when the shelves were otherwise bare. "It looks like white sliced" they said without reading the label. It contained cardamon and so was no good for marmite on toast.
All back to normal now.

Anniebach Mon 05-Mar-18 14:26:16

No milk delivery from last Wednesday untill today. Dependant on Tesco delivery for groceries, had delivery last Wednesday, they are not delivering untill this Thursday , so this is difficult .

janeainsworth Mon 05-Mar-18 14:27:09

Our local bakery and the Co-op (both within walking distance) were both functioning and well-stocked, though the Co-op ran out of potatoes.

Been out in the car today for the first time in nearly a week, Waitrose in the village had everything.

merlotgran Mon 05-Mar-18 14:37:08

Our supermarkets have remained well stocked but we didn't go without anything because I always keep milk and bread in the freezer for emergencies.

NanaandGrampy Mon 05-Mar-18 14:39:56

Our village bakery baked every day , although they were sold out by lunchtime. In my emergency stash I have some of that long life part baked stuff, perfectly adequate for the short term.

Milk was a bit more hit and miss but I always keep 'emergency' UHT milk and we use a Tassimo for coffee so not really an issue for us even though the village was totally cut off for 3 days.

kittylester Mon 05-Mar-18 14:54:50

I always have DH's bread in the freezer along with thins and some rolls. My GF bread is that long lasting stuff anyway.

We always have milk in, but our village Co-op was well stocked and the Waitrose in the next village was well stocked too.

My butcher was having trouble getting stuff from the abattoir on one day but that was fine the next day.

lemongrove Mon 05-Mar-18 14:57:32

Small local shop was out of things, we heard, but we had bread in the freezer and long life milk.
Went supermarket shopping this morning, and no problems now.

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Mar-18 14:57:52

We had plenty of milk but the local shops had no bread. Out came my bread machine. I always have bread flour and yeast so I made my own.

eazybee Mon 05-Mar-18 15:15:56

Enough bread in the freezer, and I could manage without, but milk has been difficult. My milkman delivered on Thursday morning, but hasn't been seen since, and the Tesco's in the village had no milk on Saturday, Sunday or today, as of lunchtime. Managed with longlife milk.
I believe some of the milk on the farms has been destroyed because the tankers couldn't get through the narrow lanes to collect it.

M0nica Mon 05-Mar-18 15:35:41

No problem at all. We use UHT milk, I loathe milk and a teaspoon of UHT skimmed milk in tea and for cooking is all we use, so plenty of UHT milk in the cupboard.

Bread, I aways have 2 sliced loavea and a range of other bread rolls can be found in the freezer.

So, no problem at all

Norah Mon 05-Mar-18 15:48:25

I had flour, milk powder, and UHT. No problems except my daily banana went missing.

grannyactivist Mon 05-Mar-18 16:27:23

We did no extra shopping and ran out of nothing. We usually bake our own bread anyway and we'd had a Sainsbury's delivery a couple of days before; as it was the first time he'd done it TWM accidentally ordered double our usual amount of milk. So in spite of having a houseful of visitors we had no shortages. Yesterday TWM stopped off at the Lidl and it was reasonably well stocked and had bread and milk aplenty.

shysal Mon 05-Mar-18 16:27:48

No problem.
I had a litre bottle of Cravendale milk, which has a long date, and didn't use it. I don't drink tea of coffee so only use milk for an occasional sauce. I have some frozen slices of bread and plenty of flour and yeast should I have needed to make any.

jusnoneed Mon 05-Mar-18 18:28:51

I always have at least one loaf in the freezer, we (3 in house) only use a couple loaves a week anyway (often the last bits go out for the birds).
A pint of milk sits in freezer and I buy either one or two 4 pint containers for a week, depending on how much of the previous lot is left.
The only change we made was to do the weekly shop on Weds instead of Thurs as that's when the snow was correctly forecast. Didn't buy an extras of anything.
If you'd listened to some people around here you'd of thought everything was going to be missing for a month! And the number of them asking if anyone knew where there was milk/bread - did they not listen to the forecasts?

MawBroon Mon 05-Mar-18 18:35:12

Come on, this wasn’t exactly the Blitz!
Some people may have encountered shortages in the areas extremely affected, like Wales, but nobody starved.
Let’s not confuse the “Beast from the East” with “hysteria from Siberia “ grin

SueDonim Mon 05-Mar-18 20:54:59

We're okay personally but there was only a tiny delivery of bread and some almost-out-of-date Cravendale milk in the supermarket I was in this afternoon. I noticed the biscuit shelves were almost empty, too. Maybe people are having their marmalade and marmite on biscuits!

Eloethan Tue 06-Mar-18 00:03:03

We live in London and have several big shops/supermarkets within walking distance. There didn't seem to be any problems re milk, bread, etc., but the snow wasn't anywhere near as bad as in some areas.

I suppose it would have been more of an issue for people living in more rural, isolated areas where difficulties with transport meant supplies couldn't be replenished as easily.

I do think that the media coverage was a bit over the top and encouraged people who weren't particularly affected by heavy snowfall to panic unnecessarily.

SparklyGrandma Tue 06-Mar-18 00:12:17

A kind friend drove me to a supermarket but no fresh milk available and only bread was white soft bread rools but I have enough UHT milk at home to last me another month.

Main problem not food but medication which was due to be delivered on Friday 2/3. GP surgery phone ringing off the hook today, heart rate racing all day - no heart tablets and no Metformin since last Thursday.

MrsJamJam Tue 06-Mar-18 07:51:10

Well, luckily we had good supplies of tonic for the gin and no problems with food for the dog so the whole family was happy!

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Mar-18 07:59:20

I think we've all got too complacent. I was brought up in the country and we always had a good store cupboard and dried milk 'just in case'. Now we live in a small town but even so have a good store cupboard through habit. Apparently there was no problem here with shortages even though the town was cut off, it seems old habits die hard around here. I say apparently as we were stuck in a hotel ten miles outside Amsterdam for a couple of days, courtesy of KLM. Even if the planes had been flying we couldn't have got home from Norwich airport so we didn't push for the first flights in!