Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite old recipe book that you still use?

(81 Posts)
lilypollen Fri 23-Mar-18 20:44:47

Baked a Simnel cake for Easter today using a well-used recipe from Black Hamlyn book published in 1970. Looked through it and there are at least 12 recipes that I still use today.

Greyduster Fri 23-Mar-18 20:52:51

Be-ro baking book. Had one almost since I got married and still fall back on it today.

Hilltopgran Fri 23-Mar-18 21:01:37

Milk Marketing Board Cook Book, had it since we married in 1970, I still use it frequently.

Marydoll Fri 23-Mar-18 21:37:17

Greyduster, my Bero book is also the one I still use all the time.

I was given a Margaret Patten book as an engagement present over 40 years ago and still dip into it.

lilypollen Fri 23-Mar-18 21:49:39

Marydoll MP's Everyday Cookbook, by any chance? Another go to for me.

M0nica Fri 23-Mar-18 21:57:43

Bought a copy of Bee Nilson's Penguin Cookery Book in 1968 when I got married. It has been replaced several times as each copy fell apart and is still my go-to book for all basic recipes.

I discovered a year ago that although it has been out of print for some years it is DDiL's go-to cookery book as well. Just another thing we have in common.

paddyann Fri 23-Mar-18 22:02:32

I've one produced by a Scottish monastery to raise funds ,I've had it since I was married and used it until its falling apart ,it has a Beef Stroganoff recipe thats more of a stew but the flavour is fab

jusnoneed Fri 23-Mar-18 22:17:00

I often use a set called Farmhouse Kitchen, there was a tv programme of same name on at lunchtimes. Simple recipes, no fancy ingredients.

Maggymay Fri 23-Mar-18 22:24:30

I’m another for Marguerite Patten everyday cookbook,I bought it when I married 47 years ago and still use it regularly.

Chewbacca Fri 23-Mar-18 22:30:36

Mrs Beeton's Everyday Cookery book was given to me as a wedding present 45 years ago and the smudges and stains on the pages are testimony to the number of times I've gone back to it. It shows all the different cuts of meat and the best ways of cooking them. Not seen that in any of the modern cookery books.

hildajenniJ Fri 23-Mar-18 22:31:50

DD got my copy of the Farmhouse Kitchen cookery book. I have a Cumberland and Westmoreland WI book from the 1970's that I still use regularly, and an ancient Be-Ro book.

ginny Fri 23-Mar-18 22:40:42

I have a Good Housekeeping cookery compendium that belonged to my Grandmother. I believe it is 1954 edition which is the year I was born. I do use it and there are several hand written recipes tucked inside by her and my Mother.

pensionpat Fri 23-Mar-18 22:44:51

Be Ro. My first one was not colour it was sepia. I have bought several over the years because I have given my own copy to someone.

Marydoll Fri 23-Mar-18 22:45:30

Another one I have is my mother's "Lofty Peak" flour cookbook. I made coconut cakes from it last week and my children loved them.

stella1949 Fri 23-Mar-18 22:49:10

I've got Mum's Mrs Beeton which was one of her wedding presents in 1939. Her own notations and friend's recipes are written in the margins and on any spare piece of unprinted page. I've tried many of her own recipes as well as Mrs Beetons !

Chewbacca Fri 23-Mar-18 23:15:59

I have the Farmhouse Kitchen cookery book too hilda. I love to see the names of the ladies who contributed the recipes and wonder about their homes and kitchens. Probably long gone by now, but a nice thing to be remembered for.

storynanny Fri 23-Mar-18 23:19:37

My good housekeeping 1975 version and a battered copy of campbells condensed soup reipe booklet

Bathsheba Sat 24-Mar-18 01:06:54

Mrs Beeton’s Cookery and Household Management was given to me before we got married 48 years ago. There are several torn pages, sellotaped up, and various cookery stains. It has been well used over the years and is still to this day. Sitting next to it on the kitchen bookshelf is the Good Housekeeping Cookbook, almost as ancient and just as well thumbed. Many others jostle for space on the shelf, but they all look pristine next to these two old friends.

Lindylo Sat 24-Mar-18 10:00:14

I have a Be-Ro baking book which is very well thumbed and a Good Housekeeping cookery book I've had for a fair few years.

eazybee Sat 24-Mar-18 10:11:12

Family Circle' International Cookery course' 1971, falling to pieces but still used. The recipe for Black Forest Gateau suggests using a tin of cherry pie filling in place of bottled morello cherries.
I have my 1905 copy of my grandmother's 'Mrs. Beeton', which I don't use very much, but it is awfully useful when I need to confirm the duties of the parlour maid.

Moocow Sat 24-Mar-18 10:26:30

I too have my trustee old Milk Marketing Board cookbook!

Welshwife Sat 24-Mar-18 13:31:25

I still have my Marguerite Patten Everyday Cook Book which I dip into now and again - my mother gave it to me one Christmas soon after I was married - got lots of grease spots etc on it now and the spine is sellotaped up!

shysal Sat 24-Mar-18 16:39:10

Cookery in Colour edited by Marguerite Patten is still my most used recipe book. Looks a bit worse for wear!

Antonia Sat 24-Mar-18 18:21:28

I have the Good Housekeeping recipe book which was a wedding present over 40 years ago. I used it regularly when my DDs were growing up, and I recently bought each of them a copy which I found on eBay. They both loved it as it brought back happy memories of favourite meals, and I believe they both still use it.

allsortsofbags Sat 24-Mar-18 18:52:30

Be-Ro and Milk Marketing Board. Both very tatty now and still used but not often these days.

There is a book that got lost I miss, well one recipe really.

If I remember correctly the book was a M&S microwave book from the early 80's. The recipe was for a microwave Honey Topped Cheesecake. We don't need the calories but the DD's and a few friends still ask if I'll make it. Tried similar recipes but not the same. Oh Well that's life.