Gransnet forums

Food

baked egg custard recipe (foolproof) anyone???

(21 Posts)
bikergran Tue 03-Apr-18 10:30:24

I've have tried on several occasions to make a baked egg custard..it either never sets of I could use it as a bouncy rubber ball. smile

Also I hate and cant afford to waste the ingredients.
My mum loves an egg custard and would love to bake a perfect one for her...(thin pasty/moorish filling)
Was thinking of buying pack of cheaper eggs until I master the art but maybe that wouldnt work. I have electric fan over.

M n S are lovely .But would love to bake one myself from scratch.

By the waay? does anyone else break the edges off the crimped pastry before eating one? I always have done dont know why.

Elegran Tue 03-Apr-18 10:45:07

Are you talking custard tart or pastry-less creme caramel? I've never made custard tarts but once upon a time I used to make a mean creme caramel. Haven't made them for years - I must dig out the recipe and make it. There is also a version called Norwegian Cream, which is essentially a layer of apples (or a layer of apricot jam) covered with egg custard and topped with caramelised sugar. Yummm.

Elegran Tue 03-Apr-18 10:46:20

I think you need absent.

Welshwife Tue 03-Apr-18 10:50:36

I used a Delia recipe if it is the creme caramel type but they are cooked in a Bain-Marie in the oven. I usually only make an egg custard when making a bread and butter pudding .

hildajenniJ Tue 03-Apr-18 13:18:24

Here is Delia's recipe. I've made it several times, but used my favourite shortcrust pastry recipe. It always turns out beautifully.
www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delia-online-cookery-school/english-custard-tart

bikergran Wed 04-Apr-18 10:10:42

will give it a try next time..im in the mood for egg custard making thanks all....

Teetime Wed 04-Apr-18 10:43:43

I was going to suggest Delia- I love her egg custard and haven't made one for a while so I will and soon. I usually have the sugar s we don't have a really sweet tooth and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the consistency- lots of lovely nutmeg on top.

JackyB Wed 04-Apr-18 11:53:05

We made an egg custard pie at school and I remember having to cook a layer, take it out of the oven and pour some more in, and then cook that and so on for several layers unti the pie was baked. Not sure why.

Since then I have only ever made egg custards or creme caramele and had no problems, whether in the oven, pressure cooker or microwave. I always thought it was quite foolproof. I must be doing something wrong.

Are you setting yourself a very high standard? If they don't set, you could use it as custard. If it's too hard, could you break it down with an electric mixer and stir it into whipped cream?

Greyduster Wed 04-Apr-18 12:32:26

I have cooked custard tart occasionally as it is one of DH’s favourites but I bake the base blind in the same way as I do for quiche, then add the filling, otherwise I find it goes soggy. Life is too short. Go to Morrison’s - theirs are lovely! (I know, not helpful!). As an aside, DD brought me back some Pastéis de Nata (Portuguese custard tarts) from a bakery in Cornwall yesterday and they are one of the most delicious things I have eaten. I will definitely have to have a go at making those.

henetha Wed 04-Apr-18 13:43:32

They made one this week on the Celebrity Great British Bake Off on Channel 4. So maybe their website has the recipe online.
I've failed miserably with making custart tarts in the past so now just buy them instead.

cavewoman Wed 04-Apr-18 14:57:46

A friend made some individual custard tarts for a charity bake day. They were scrumptious !
Hers was a Paul Hollywood recipe. It's on the BBC Good Food website.

Wilma65 Thu 05-Apr-18 10:42:33

Yes I break the pastry off before I eat it too ?

kwest Thu 05-Apr-18 10:50:30

If you find the whole thing stressful, then life is too short.
M&S is your friend!
I almost never make desserts these days. We only have them if we are entertaining. However if the French are happy to sub-contract out that course to professional pattissieres (spelling?) then why would I not do the same?
On the other hand if you really want the challenge of producing the ultimate egg custard, good luck, I wish you well.

David1968 Thu 05-Apr-18 11:02:31

Use good quality free range eggs.
Not only are these are from "cruelty free" hens - but their much better quality can be very evident in recipes.

scrabble Thu 05-Apr-18 15:53:51

I had a Pastseis de Nata today Greyduster, in Waitrose cafe, they are delicious.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 05-Apr-18 16:14:09

I make mine with 500ml s of double cream then make up the fluid quantity with a combination of milk and water to how many eggs the recipe I am using states Sugar to taste This recipe is a crust free version.
Pour mixture into a butter greased dish and stand this in another dish with boiling water half way up your dish of custard
Cook at the correct temperature your recipe states. I usually test half way through as I like my custard a bit wobbly rather than a too firm set.

starlily106 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:30:02

I like the ones from Sainsburys.

Hildagard Thu 05-Apr-18 20:17:24

Greens do an Egg Custard mix, easy just add milk and nutmeg

justwokeup Thu 05-Apr-18 21:47:39

The Bero book recipe is easy too, no need for a bain marie and worked for DM, and now me, every time. Have to say not many times for me grin - we have a good local baker.

lemongrove Thu 05-Apr-18 21:58:26

Greyduster oh the Portuguese custard tarts.....yum! I made sure I ate one ( several) every day on holiday in Madeira.
biker do use very fresh and free range good quality eggs.

GabriellaG Thu 05-Apr-18 23:30:32

Oh yes bikergran
I'm a crust gnawer and LOVE baked egg custard. Budgens make fabulous custard tarts, fresh in shops every day, unpackaged.
I suggest looking at some recipes on YouTube and pick one you like after seeing the results.
Good luck.