Gransnet forums

Food

Duck

(11 Posts)
kittylester Sun 06-May-18 10:33:58

Does anyone have any ideas for cooking and serving a couple of duck portions?

I really shouldn't impulse buy!

Welshwife Sun 06-May-18 11:19:01

If they still have skin on it will release some fat (wonderful for roasting potatoes!) I either cook it in the oven - start fat down and then turn it over after a few minutes when a little fat has been released - or I do it in a pan on the hob. Tends to spit a bit so I use a sauté pan with a lid. Again I start with it skin side down and then turn it over. Often the portions I buy are thick so I take them out and slice them and pop them back to finish cooking. Depends really or whether you want them well done or medium - medium rare. They do taste better slightly rare. The texture of duck is softer too if slightly underdone..
Hope you enjoy them. If I buy duck legs I always cook them in the oven.

sodapop Sun 06-May-18 12:58:15

If its duck legs then a delicious confit. If breast meat, lightly cook, slice very thinly and serve with salad.

Fennel Sun 06-May-18 18:36:50

As above. Plus there's not much meat on a duck - 2 portions probably just enough for 2 people.
My favourite is smoked duck's breast but you can't make that at home.

Welshwife Sun 06-May-18 18:52:45

The confit will take a good while to make by the time you leave it with salt on it and then cook in lots of goose fat. - unless of course you have bought it as confit.

Mapleleaf Tue 08-May-18 12:12:44

If they are duck breasts, I do the same as already suggested, ie skin side down in a pan for 2 or 3 minutes then transfer to oven skin side up ( so it crisps) for 10 12 mins depending on thickness. ( I like them medium rare). I use a pan that is suitable for both stove top and oven, which saves washing up. Hope you enjoy them. I havent cooked legs, would look up a recipe on line for those. ?

Mapleleaf Tue 08-May-18 12:13:28

10 - 12 mins, not 10 12!

Gagagran Tue 08-May-18 12:50:46

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/duck-recipes/sweet-duck-legs-cooked-with-plums-and-star-anise/

Try this Kitty - it is very good. DS made it for us once and it has become a favourite.

Fennel Tue 08-May-18 15:12:20

That looks delicious - I love meat and fruit combinations.

Cold Tue 08-May-18 15:38:01

I did this asian-inspired stir fried duck and pomegranate a couple of months ago when Lidl had duck on special offer - it was lovely
www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/duck-breast-can-be-luscious-quick-and-healthful-heres-a-great-way-to-cook-it/2018/01/08/e69e13a8-ecca-11e7-9f92-10a2203f6c8d_story.html?utm_term=.06b58ca887db

harrigran Tue 08-May-18 15:48:59

Pan fry duck breasts skin side down first then turn, finish off in the oven. We serve with Hoisin sauce and Chinese vegetables.