Gransnet forums

Food

Uncooked porridge oats

(31 Posts)
NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 22:01:26

Have any of you tried soaking porridge oats overnight in milk with yogurt and fruit?

I must find a recipe to make sure I add all the ingredients.

It is supposed to be easily digested.

ginny Sun 22-Jul-18 22:09:13

Yes. I layer oats, chopped fruit and yogurt and then repeat. Leave overnight. Yummy.

Allegretto Sun 22-Jul-18 22:20:53

Soaking oats in apple juice is also really good, though not as healthy as milk. In the morning I add chopped fruit, nuts, yogurt, sometimes dried fruit, flaked almonds.... whatever is lurking in fridge or cupboard. I love that it is different depending on what is added.

Purpledaffodil Sun 22-Jul-18 22:21:44

If you Google “Overnight oats”, you will find a lot of recipes. I started doing oats this way when doing Slimming World and have kept the habit. I buy the mixed frozen fruit with strawberries etc as a topping or stewed apple with cinnamon.
My recipe calls for 40g oats with enough milk to wet them topped with 150g of natural yoghurt. It makes a lovely start to the day.

tanith Sun 22-Jul-18 22:24:21

My sister always gave her kids uncooked oats for breakfast just soaked in water then salt and milk added to taste, I presumed it was they ate it in Scotland her husband was Scottish. Yuk!!

Auntieflo Sun 22-Jul-18 22:24:28

Yes, have done it for ages. Scrumptious.

Cold Sun 22-Jul-18 22:42:35

There are many ways to make bircher muesli or overnight oats.

The key is to have the portion of oats, mix with yogurt or apple juice. Add fruits such as grated apple, sultanas, chopped banana or fresh or frozen berries
www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-make-overnight-oats

Doodle Sun 22-Jul-18 23:00:39

I had a recipe for Bircher muesli from the chef in a Swiss restaurant. It used ground hazelnuts and grated apple and raisins mixed with oats and yoghurt and left in the fridge overnight to absorb the liquid. Have been eating this (minus the grated apple) for many years now. You may be surprised by the amount of liquid the oats can absorb.

seacliff Sun 22-Jul-18 23:23:51

I often have a bowl with Asda fruit and nut muesli, some jumbo oats, about 3 spoons of Greek yoghurt. Topped with chopped strawberries, grapes and Apple. I just leave it an hour or so, delicious and filling and fairly healthy. The yoghurt is enough, no milk or juicce needed.

jacq10 Sun 22-Jul-18 23:30:27

I do the same as ginny and layer oats, fruit and yoghurt but use frozen mixed berries and find these defrost by the morning and just give the mix a wee stir and it's very tasty. I occasionally drizzle some cream (single of course!) on the top when I need a boost to get going in the morning.

Nandalot Sun 22-Jul-18 23:48:35

I use frozen fruit too, but soak the oats in roasted, unsweetened almond milk. In the morning, I top it with thick, fat free Greek yoghurt. Delicious.

pensionpat Mon 23-Jul-18 00:06:46

I don't bother soaking overnight. I pour dry oats into a bowl, add just enough milk to moisten, grate an apple for more moisture, then add any fruit that I have, topping with a sliced banana. Yummy.

NanKate Mon 23-Jul-18 06:22:44

Thanks All what a delicious mix of yummy recipes I will start preparing my new regime tonight. ?

henetha Mon 23-Jul-18 10:45:42

What brilliant ideas. I had been wondering how to use up left over oats from winter porridge. Thanks everyone.

JackyB Mon 23-Jul-18 11:29:37

I just pour milk over oats (as pensionpat describes) and eat them with sugar. Maybe a banana but I'm usually in too much of a hurry.

It helps if you have good quality, soft oats, not the hard, whole grain kind. Those you do have to soak overnight.

paddyann Mon 23-Jul-18 11:36:00

never come accross that Tanith and I've lived in Scotland for all my 64 years.Usually we cook them in water with added salt and serve with milk or cream in a seperate bowl for dunking .I had a Welsh aunt who introduced suger to our porridge .If you are on a diet oats cooked in water is as tasty as oats cooked in milk and dont serve with milk or sugar just some berries .Thats my normal breakfast and has been for years .

OldMeg Mon 23-Jul-18 11:49:43

Raw, uncooked oats are the basis for many mueslis.

OldMeg Mon 23-Jul-18 11:49:53

I think

janeainsworth Mon 23-Jul-18 12:05:30

I don’t bother soaking overnight either.
I just put the milk on the oats as soon as I get up and by the time I’ve had a cup of tea, caught up with FB and GN, put the washing on, had a shower and generally fiddled on, they are soft enough to eat.
Sprinkled with mixed seeds & nuts, any soft fruit that’s in the fridge, and a stewed prune or apricot or two.
Then topped with unsweetened, full-fat Greek yoghurt.
None of that low-fat silliness in this house grin

Bathsheba Mon 23-Jul-18 12:38:27

I love them soaked overnight in apple juice, with a mixture of dried fruit added - cranberries, raisins, cherries, prunes (if you like them - I do!), figs, apricots etc. Alternatively, stir in fresh chopped fruit in the morning, if you want to avoid the added sugar in the dried fruit.

Pittcity Mon 23-Jul-18 15:54:24

I'm a bit scared of Googling "overnight oats" purpledaffodil .....blush

Baggs Mon 23-Jul-18 16:35:50

Does the kind of yogurt matter? Does Greek yogurt work as well as runnier kinds?

Isn't the result just like cold porridge? After all, all the normal heated porridge making technique does is speed up the soaking up of liquid.

janeainsworth Mon 23-Jul-18 16:51:45

I just prefer the texture of Greek Yoghurt Baggs. I get Yeo Valley which, shock horror, is 9% fat. It also contains live cultures which are supposed to be beneficial to one’s biome.
It’s just personal preference.

suzied Mon 23-Jul-18 16:59:15

I do a vegan version overnight in the fridge with almond milk and chai seeds, then stir in strawberries, blueberries, banana whatever in the morning, top with Alpro non dairy yoghurt ( the coconut one is yum), its lovely and cold on a hot summer morning.

Cherrytree59 Mon 23-Jul-18 17:14:37

My choice of oats for my Oat, fruit and vanilla breakfast are
Tesco (own) Organic jumbo oats. sunshine