Gransnet forums

Food

What are we feeding our (grand) children? ???

(52 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 29-Jul-18 16:59:54

Absolutely desperate for something sweet such as a biscuit,(only I have stopped stocking them in the house because of my non- existent will power) I chanced upon some “Organic Goodies” OAT bars I must have bought for the DGCs because everything has to be organic, no added sugar, no colour, no additives etc.
Well I would add to that no flipping taste!
Those poor children, next time they come I will make sure we have some Jammie Dodgers - proper biscuits grin

MissAdventure Sun 29-Jul-18 17:02:51

Its all changed from the days of Farley's Rusks.
Lots of parents used to love them too.

FarNorth Sun 29-Jul-18 17:04:44

Possibly they would seem less tasteless to you if you weren't so accustomed to overly sweet foods.
Why not ask the children what they think of the Tasty Oaties?

paddyann Sun 29-Jul-18 17:05:08

I have a sweetie drawer AND a biscuit tin ..or two and my GC all can help themselves .They dont overindulge or gorge on sweet stuff and I find its much better having the stuff on offer than when my own children were small and all sweets /chocolate etc was banned.Both my kids are chocoholics and I get the blame ,yes neither ever had a filling or toothache but nor do the GC despite the jellies and fudges and chocolate chip cookies.

Luckygirl Sun 29-Jul-18 17:05:44

My DGC love those tasteless oatie biscuits with fruit in!

But they also love jammie dodgers and are allowed one each a day when they are here.

You can also get packets of little jammie dodgers - I thought they might do for you Maw - just one mind! grin

MawBroon Sun 29-Jul-18 17:06:29

Get you Far North!
What qualifies you to judge that I am accustomed to overly sweet foods?
#assumetoomuch

Eglantine21 Sun 29-Jul-18 17:10:03

I have a packet of Oreo cookies for emergency eating because I don’t like them. Eating one is a measure of my desperation!

merlotgran Sun 29-Jul-18 17:12:54

There haven't been any biscuits in this house for two months. Doesn't bother me because I don't have a sweet tooth but I often hear DH lifting the lid of the biscuit tin on the dresser hoping against hope that some jammie dodgers might have somehow magicked themselves in there.

Does a sweet tooth ever disappear?

MamaCaz Sun 29-Jul-18 17:16:54

My DGC love biscuits and sweets, but they also love fruit, raw veg and even herbs, and are regularly to be found 'foraging' in my garden. Anyone else got GC who will happily pick and eat raw chives? grin I wouldn't have touched them with a bargepole at their age - even if I had known what they were!

Liz46 Sun 29-Jul-18 17:22:16

Yes MamaCaz, my GC help themselves to my chives. I did them a pot of chives to take home. Another thing that kept my GC quiet and busy for absolutely ages was a pot of home grown peas. The searched for the pods, got the peas out and ate them all raw. I had a tomato glut one year and had them picking tomatoes for me to make soup. I put the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute and when they were cool, got the GC to peel them for me.

PECS Sun 29-Jul-18 17:29:32

My veg patch is just for the DGC! They love the blueberries, peas, courgettes, carrots, tomatoes and beetroot! They pick and eat staight from the plant and enjoy supper with fresh cooked beans! They also love biscuits and cakes! Everything in moderation! The more you ban the more exciting it is!

MamaCaz Sun 29-Jul-18 17:32:54

Liz46 Mine love all those things too. It's lovely, isn't it, to see them eating 'natural' things smile

pollyperkins Sun 29-Jul-18 17:35:15

I think that was completely uncalled for Farnorth

gillybob Sun 29-Jul-18 17:42:05

I have a sweetie tub paddyann and mine just help themselves too .

MawBroon Sun 29-Jul-18 17:42:23

Oh dear, this was meant to be a light hearted thread about worthy organic foods, not an Open day for virtuous healthy eaters and criticism of my own eating habits. Or those of anybody’s grandchildren.
Mine don’t as it happens get chocolate, sugar, sweet things or junk food ever, their teeth are perfect and they are lean and lively.
But nowt wrong with a Jammie Dodger occasionally hmm

MiniMoon Sun 29-Jul-18 17:53:01

We've got a patch of wild strawberries at one side of our garden, between the hen pheasant and the DGC, there are none left! The GC have also eaten all the raspberries, shaking off the ants as they went! They love foraging in the hedgerows when we're out for a walk too.

MiniMoon Sun 29-Jul-18 17:55:05

Ooh sorry, missed the point entirely. DGC head straight for the biscuit box when they come in. Sometimes they are lucky, sometimes not. ?? I like to keep them guessing.

Greyduster Sun 29-Jul-18 18:15:28

We have a biscuit tin, because it is our habit to have a biscuit or two with our morning coffee. When GS comes, it has become his habit too, but he is limited to two custard creams or a chocolate hob nob. He knows the rules. Sweets similarly are rationed, but carrots, cucumber sticks, apples and grapes are not! I can’t imagine life without a biscuit!

goldengirl Sun 29-Jul-18 18:21:10

We have Ella smoothies which are very popular and also Farley's Rusks - even for the older ones [good for them]; and then there's cake, small rice puddings and of course ice cream![not so good for them]

FarNorth Sun 29-Jul-18 18:24:13

grin Maw Broon. Don't take offence, please. Most of us oldies have been accustomed to unnecessarily sweet foods for a long time.
I wasn't keen, tho, when my mother made me a sandwich with banana and sugar because she thought I needed energy.

gillybob Sun 29-Jul-18 18:29:47

Well my 3 eat just about anything . They are very sporty and not a pinch of fat on any of them . Nothing wrong with a chocolate bar or a biscuit now and again.

MawBroon Sun 29-Jul-18 18:51:38

grin*Maw Broon. Don't take offence, please. Most of us oldies have been accustomed to unnecessarily sweet foods for a long time*
No reason to assume that I have then ( I haven’t as it happens) but such sweeping generalisations are guaranteed to offend.
Would you have said it to my face?
#smugorwhat

ffinnochio Sun 29-Jul-18 18:54:26

I’ve just discovered a great cross-over between sweet and worthy.
Nairn’s Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Cakes.

Will be trying them out on the grandchildren, with sweet back up biscuits if they dislike them.

Jane10 Sun 29-Jul-18 19:02:11

I had an emergency box of dark chocolates because I don't like them. I ate them all. I still don't like them. Och! confused

paddyann Sun 29-Jul-18 19:03:31

My late mother used to insist she could buy chocolate covered Ryvita when she was wee....we used to laugh about it ,but who knows she did come from a time when a doctor recommended she started to smoke when she had PND