Gransnet forums

Food

Electric Yoghurt Makers, are they a good investment ?

(18 Posts)
1974cookie Tue 28-Aug-18 19:37:29

My Partner and I eat quite a lot of yoghurt, usually the fruity kind. I have been wondering about making my own. I have looked at the electric yoghurt makers with individual pots, which is what I would prefer, and they seem quite reasonable to buy, but are they as good as they seem? I also like the idea that we would be cutting down on plastic.
Can Gransnetters advise me please?
All advice well and truly welcome. ?.

Diana54 Tue 28-Aug-18 20:23:34

If you fancy making your own then fine but don't expect to save any money, adding fruit and flavor to plain yogurt will cost less and save washing up as well.

Melanieeastanglia Tue 28-Aug-18 20:26:38

I think Diana54 is right.

Naturally, it is up to you but I think it sounds like a lot of hard work when the yoghurts in the shops are so tasty. I admit I am somebody who looks for the easy option in the kitchen.

You are right about cutting down on plastic though.

MargaretX Tue 28-Aug-18 21:05:29

I made joghurt for a while and then gave it up. took the joghhurt maker to a charity shop to have it refused. they have so many, people just get fed up with making it.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Aug-18 21:41:54

I use the EasiYo yoghurt maker and I think it's great and use it all the time. No need for electricity, plugging it in or another electrical appliance to store. And the end result is the best yoghurt I've ever tasted!

Bathsheba Tue 28-Aug-18 22:24:55

I always make my own Greek style yoghurt, but I do it in my Instant Pot (a 7 in 1 electric pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker etc. etc.), which has a yoghurt function. It is so easy and the results are fabulous. I use UHT milk, which is only 52p a litre in Tesco or Lidl, so it does work out very reasonable. Two litres of milk, with one tablespoon of yoghurt as a starter (I save some from each batch and freeze it for the next batch). I've heard you can make yoghurt in a slow cooker, if you have one. Try Googling for how to do this.
I used to use an electric yoghurt maker with individual pots, but I like to strain my yoghurt to thicken it, and it would have been a bit of a faff tipping it out of the little pots, straining it, then putting it back, so I just used it as it was. It was good, but just not as thick as I like it.
If you do go ahead, an important thing to remember is not to use too much yoghurt starter - you really do need no more than a tablespoon to a couple of litres of milk. If you put too much in it doesn't work as well - something to do with the two different types of live cultures fighting over the milk.

SueDonim Tue 28-Aug-18 23:29:57

I've got the older version of this www.lakeland.co.uk/31794/Lakeland-Multi-Yogurt-and-Soft-Cheese-Maker and it must have paid for itself with the amount of yogurt I've made in it.

I use long-life milk and a spoonful or two from a small plain pot of yogurt as a starter and away it goes. I sometimes strain it if I want a thicker set. It's a gadget that gets used a lot in my kitchen.

JuneS Sun 02-Sep-18 16:39:18

I make yogurt in a thermos flask. Put the equivalent of a small yogurt in the flask and top up with milk. I use full cream for greek style or semi skimmed for ordinary. The next morning, strain off into a cheese cloth or similar. The more you strain the thicker it is. Anything can be added to it now. I must say that it doesn't make a lot. If you make bread, the whey is good for bread making.

Toddleo Wed 05-Sep-18 15:34:24

Another vote for The Easy yo yogurt maker. I got mine from Lakeland, no electricity of faff required.

OldMeg Wed 05-Sep-18 15:53:04

I bought one once. Used it enthusiastically as few times. Couldn’t give it away when I decided it was easier just to buy good quality ones in the shops.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Sep-18 16:16:10

I had one when the children were young, 1974cookie, from Lakeland as I recall. It was so easy and in regular use till it gave up the ghost. I'm sure they'll be popular again as more of us look for ways of cutting down on plastic.

Chewbacca Wed 05-Sep-18 16:37:15

The Easi Yo yoghurt maker is currently half price at Lakeland and comes with 2 free packets of yoghurt mix too.

paddyann Wed 05-Sep-18 17:00:42

I'm another easiyo fan,best tasting yoghourt you can buy and a lot of flavours available.Its not cheaper but it is better

FlexibleFriend Thu 06-Sep-18 16:04:22

I wouldn't expect home made yoghurt to taste anything like your much loved fruit yoghurt. It tastes like plain yoghurt with fruit or puree added.

Scrapgranny Sun 21-Oct-18 21:14:33

Another one who uses easiyo and have done for years.

PECS Mon 22-Oct-18 08:38:12

I made my own yog all the time when kids were small. Used to make up 2pt of dried milk and large tablespoon og live yog. Wrap bowl in a teatowel and place in warm airing cupboard overnight. Perfect yog for breakfast. It was my grandma's method. Can't do it now...no airing cupboard as have a combo. boiler & no hot water tank. Most shop yogs are revolting sweet slop!

Grammaretto Mon 22-Oct-18 08:51:45

Like OldMeg I had an electric yoghurt maker which hardly got used and took up space so along with my bread maker and juicer I gave them away or lent them and haven't missed them.
If I want to make yog and have excess milk I would do the mixing bowl, tea towel cover method in the airing cupboard as PECS recommends overnight as we used to do with DM as children.
I never knew about the dried milk method so thanks.

21Tinkerbell Mon 22-Oct-18 09:09:44

I use an electric yogurt maker all the time. Think of the sugar you are no longer eating. it doesn't take long to adjust to eating it sugar free. we just add tsp honey.