Gransnet forums

Food

Leave our Cornish pasties alone!

(76 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 15-Sep-18 09:57:14

Seen in today’s DT, I could not have put it better myself, so apologies for copying.
Apparently the NHS is calling for Cornish pasties to be made from “healthier” – ie, lower-fat – filo pastry instead of the traditional buttery, full-fat shortcrust; a bit rich coming from a health service not renowned for culinary flair. Jill Venables, of Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, has said that, while there was “nothing evil” about a traditional pasty, she wanted to “save patients’ lives.I’m working on a few recipes using alternatives to shortcrust pastry, such as filo or pasta”.
The pasty is an honest-to-goodness dish made from a necessarily robust pastry shell (strong bread flour – filo is far too wussy) containing beef, potato, swede and sliced onion. So while the nanny state may believe it has our best interests at heart in doctoring the pasty’s ingredients, nanny herself would not approve: there is arguably no better-balanced or more delicious meal-in-one-bite. Messing with the constituent parts in the name of public health is effectively saying “this is a Bad Food and you should feel guilty about wanting it”. It isn’t, so don’t.

mcem Sat 15-Sep-18 14:41:50

Twa plenn bridies an' an ingin ane an' a!
would be the traditional order for two plain bridies and an onion one too!
Plain has one hole on top while one with onion has two!
Must say that having lived much of my life in Dundee I have never heard this in a baker's shop.

Auntieflo Sat 15-Sep-18 15:29:52

I thought Cornish pastys (pasties) had a protected status. If someone, in their wisdom, wants to faff about with the recipe, it will not be a Cornish pasty.
When will the powers that be realise it's not what you put in your mouth, but how much you put in your mouth.
Nanny state again, makes me mad.

tanith Sat 15-Sep-18 16:19:14

I had a pastie with beans for dinner last night, there’s just something about a pastie makes them irresistible ?

Nannylovesshopping Sat 15-Sep-18 18:02:33

jalima 1108 I love an Ivor dewdney too, bought back many happy memories of buying them and walking up to the top of the Hoe to enjoy them and the view, I so want one now too?

MargaretX Sat 15-Sep-18 18:31:24

I remember my mother's Cornish pasties and we were a thin family in the post war years.

If you have fat people in hospital beds then you shouldn't be serving pasties. Stew and potatoes and a green vegetable is healthy enough but probably they wouldn't eat it.

I can't find any food to eat when I fly to the Uk and have to pass time in Airports or Cafés.
Its got worse over the last 5 years. I think Greggs might be to blame.

Bathsheba Sat 15-Sep-18 21:55:06

We sometimes take a ride through Cornwall and stop at a little shop in Tideford which sells probably some of the finest Cornish pasties around. Another superb shop is further west, at Wheal Rose, on the way to Porthtowan.
They are occasional treats, not an everyday meal and a good Cornish pasty would probably do everyone far more good than the tasteless, nutritionless excuse for food that our local NHS hospital serves up. Last time I was in overnight, the breakfast consisted of one slice - yes that's ONE slice - of cold toast with a smear of spread. I sat patiently waiting for the cereal to arrive - a reasonable expectation you might think - but no, that was it, that was 'breakfast' ??
Filo pastry? Oh perleeease ?

jenpax Sun 16-Sep-18 07:55:56

I agree with others that the Cornish Pasty won’t be to blame for any weight issues! Much more likely the rise in fast food eateries which are now all over the country!
I hold to the old adage, a little of what you fancy does You good! and so any food you want is fine just don’t eat it all the time?

Riverwalk Sun 16-Sep-18 08:11:00

Nothing wrong with pasties - personally I find them too stodgy. The problem is, as with sausage rolls, etc., they're often eaten as a snack.

There's about 500 calories in a Gregg's pasty, according their website; same with the large slabs of cake that patisseries and coffee shops serve.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Sep-18 10:01:56

stodgy what you describe is not a pasty, Riverwalk
Greggs do not make real pasties, theirs are junk food.

Willow500 Sun 16-Sep-18 10:28:57

As with everything moderation is the key and a proper Cornish pasty should not be blamed for all the nation's weight problems! Do girls ( and now presumably boys) still make Cornish pasties in cookery class? It was the first thing we made but with tinned corned beef - we were obviously not to be trusted with minced beef that early grin.

The ones from cake shops are not the same and are often very greasy!

LJP1 Sun 16-Sep-18 14:12:21

You can't save lives by stopping people eating pasties. You need to focus on changing lifestyles to fewer sweets, biscuits & cakes not half a dozen calories from changed pastry on a nutritious pasty.

Focus on what is needed not the marginal frills.

Shazmo24 Sun 16-Sep-18 14:29:09

As I'm in Cornwall on holiday right at this moment and having had several cornish pasties already I have to say a lw fat version just isn't on!

paddyann Sun 16-Sep-18 14:37:38

mcem took me back 40 years ,we were friends with a young couple from Dundee and I first heard that saying then.I actually heard her say it in my head as I read it..lol
Haven't seen them in years though I see posts on FB of them and their 6 GC .Lovely couple as most Dundonians I know are .

paddyann Sun 16-Sep-18 14:40:23

I'm with Riverwalk I've only ever had a bit of one when in Cornwall and was never inclined to have another,I wasn't fed pies and pastries growing up so I find them heavy and stodgy too.

Aepgirl Sun 16-Sep-18 14:44:37

Here we go again. Nanny state at its best (or worst). We all know what's good for us, and what isn't. I say moderation in everything.

Craftycat Sun 16-Sep-18 14:51:15

Filo in pasties - is she mad. It would collapse!
My Grandma used to bring Bridies back from Scotland when she went home to visit. I love her bed them. Thank you for recipe - tomorrow night's dinner sorted!

lizzypopbottle Sun 16-Sep-18 14:55:13

It might be an idea if NHS staff put their own house in order before telling us how to be a healthy weight! Back in 2016 it was reported that over half of the 1.3 million NHS workers were overweight or obese. I doubt if it's changed since then, unless it's now worse. Set us a better example and perhaps we'll listen.

Also, every recipe I've seen that uses filo pastry has us brushing each sheet liberally with melted butter...

Terri823 Sun 16-Sep-18 14:55:18

I live in Carbis Bay, St Ives and agree. Leave our Cornish Pasty alone. We have far too many people coming here to live because they love the place, then some want to change everything. I bet this lady at NHS isn’t Cornish

barbaralynne Sun 16-Sep-18 15:02:19

I was born in Cornwall and grew up eating pasties regularly. When my grandmother made them for us to take for a day on the beach, 3/4 of it was meat, potato and veg and the end bit was apple - I was told this was traditional! And they were really yummy, better than sandwiches!

Jane43 Sun 16-Sep-18 15:05:57

There are far too many ‘do gooders’ around in this day and age. Why not credit people with enough common sense to have an occasional treat such as a Cornish Pasty while realising that they are high in calories. I agree with you lizzypopbottle the last twice I have been to a hospital I was shocked by the number of overweight and obese staff.

Brismum Sun 16-Sep-18 15:20:17

Think you’ve been unlucky Paddyann and Riverwalk. A good pasty should not be stodgy. A cheap one however may be bulked out with thick pastry at the expense of meat and veg. I would put the pasties at Kynance Cove top of my list! Traditionally they had meat and veg at one end and stewed fruit at the other providing a complete meal!

GabriellaG Sun 16-Sep-18 15:29:40

I wonder what weight/size Jill Venables is.
She ought to start with the nursing sector, many of whom fill the width of a corridor. Likewise, some paramedics.

GabriellaG Sun 16-Sep-18 15:33:06

The 'Cornish' pasties at the popup in Bristol Temple Meads station take 30 minutes to eat. A wonderful selection of fillings and delicious pastry. I think they're about £4.

Pinny4 Sun 16-Sep-18 15:33:16

These cornish pasties were in vogue from ye olden days when people didn't have cars, or machines to do their work for them so they were used to walking miles, carrying loads, working in the mines and the fields and hauling in the fish, and used lots of physical energy. People probably took a pasty ( or two) with them to work for their lunch
Today not so many people do hard labour , but I think it is still nice just once in a while to treat ourselves to what we fancy.

pixie601 Sun 16-Sep-18 16:41:27

Other than a medical condition people are fat because they eat too much, get no exercise and are too bone idle to cook a proper meal, indulging themselves instead with ready meals and take outs. Bring back proper cookery lessons in schools and hopefully the next generation will fare better.