Gransnet forums

Food

Austrian recipe in English, please!

(15 Posts)
Baggs Thu 18-Oct-18 16:28:49

I've just come across a reference (and picture) of Schinkennockerl. I've read the recipe in German and get the basic idea but would appreciate a full English version if anyone can, please.

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 16:58:10

This is Schinkennudeln, but I wonder if Nockerl are the Austrian version of Nudeln?
Maybe , maybe not!
I realise it is not very legible but if you pm’d me an email address I could try to send a bigger version?

Fennel Thu 18-Oct-18 17:50:09

Looks like a sort of light dumpling. Maybe related to italian gnocchi.
Schinken is ham.

henetha Thu 18-Oct-18 18:24:10

Google translate is very good.

NotAGran55 Thu 18-Oct-18 18:56:28

We had it in Salzburg a few weeks ago . It’s a cross between a soufflé and a soft meringue served in peaks to resemble the alps . Our was a dish to serve 2 accompanied by a plum compost . Delicious !

NotAGran55 Thu 18-Oct-18 18:57:50

Just to clarify - Nockerl is the pudding.

MiniMoon Thu 18-Oct-18 19:05:53

Schinken translates as ham or gammon, nocker l translates as dumplings. I can find recipes for the dumpling part, but these are just made with flour, eggs milk and salt. Simply boiled like gnocchi. I can't find any which incorporates ham.

Baggs Thu 18-Oct-18 19:28:38

There's a mention of semolina where I saw the stuff. I'm gathering that norckerl is some kind of dough. It looks delicious anyway, deffo a comfort food!

MiniMoon Thu 18-Oct-18 19:35:07

It seems to be the German/Austrian version of Italian gnocchi. You make that with semolina or potato.

Baggs Thu 18-Oct-18 19:40:38

That sounds very likely, minimoon. I've never made gnocchi so I'd better do some research. Am I right in thinking you can use dried potato to make gnocchi?

Marydoll Thu 18-Oct-18 20:10:15

Baggs, Here is a recipe for Schinkennockerln, translated courtesy of Google. My German is not that good!
Servings: 8
300 g of cheese (grated)
For the Nockerl:
500 g flour (smooth)
2 pcs. Eggs
5 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
500 ml of milk for the sauce:
1 piece of onion (large)
2 pieces of garlic cloves
250 g of ham
250 ml of beef soup
2 tbsp chives
250 ml whipped cream
salt
pepper
boiling water.
Cook the dumplings for about 8 minutes and strain. Put the dumplings in a very large baking dish.
For the sauce, finely chop the onion and fry in the butter together with the expressed garlic cloves. Cut the ham into small pieces, add and cook briefly.
Add the beef soup and add the chopped chives. Then stir in the whipped cream and season with salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture over the dumplings and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake in the oven at about 180 ° C for 25 minutes. Serve the gratinated ham dumplings.

Smooth flour:White flour: smooth (TYPE 550) Obtained from finely ground wheat with removed husk and germ which gives white colour and excellent baking features, making dough crispy and loose.

Good luck.grin

Fennel Thu 18-Oct-18 20:15:24

When you've formed the dumplings you probably have to drop them into boiling soup etc and then they puff up.
A bit like kreplach. Which I've had but never made, and are similar to ravioli

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:17:35

I've never heard of Swabia;
and I thought my geography was reasonably good

Fennel Thu 18-Oct-18 20:18:20

Sorry no after reading Marydoll's recipe above, I'm wrong.

M0nica Fri 19-Oct-18 09:24:46

Swabia was one of the 330+ kingdoms, principalities, palatinates, city states etc that made up the area that was, in the 19th century, united to form the kingdom, now republic of Germany. I doubt many of us has heard of more than half a dozen of them.

I like the sound of the recipe.