Gransnet forums

Food

Im new to Lidl and Aldi at Christmas .

(142 Posts)
gmelon Tue 06-Nov-18 21:29:56

I wonder if you will share your tastiest and favourite buys from Christmas at Lidl and Aldi.

I've never lived near one.
This year they've built a massive Aldi and I'm near a Lidl too.

I'm aware there was a bit of a thread going a while ago with some content but this one is completely dedicated to the lovely tasty subject.

annodomini Wed 07-Nov-18 10:12:12

I regularly buy Aldi's hot smoked salmon fillets and make my own paté by simply blending one with half a carton of soft cheese. I sometimes find varieties of cheese which I haven't seen in our local Waitrose (one of their smaller branches). I'm very partial to the Gorgonzola. And I second the recommendation of Aldi's crackers - with or without cheese. I try, and too often fail - to walk quickly past the chocolate section!

Grannyknot Wed 07-Nov-18 10:16:10

Marydoll I've told this story on GN before, but will repeat it again because I find it very funny.

We were at a social gathering where the subject of Lidl came up and one of the women said "I've never been in Lidl and will never shop there". Her teenage son piped up "We were in there a couple of weeks ago!" She drew herself up and quickly shot back with "Well, I've never knowingly shopped in Lidl". grin

Marydoll Wed 07-Nov-18 10:23:36

Grannyknot grin

Greyduster Wed 07-Nov-18 10:30:06

I have a similar story about my nephew’s rabidly upwardly mobile but otherwise very nice wife, who used to be scathing about people who shopped at Aldi. I met her best friend - a lady I had worked with - as I was going in and she was coming out and she couldn’t wait to tell me that she had seen the aforementioned lady in there and called out to her, whereupon she quickly did an avoiding manoeuvre down an aisle where she thought she wouldn’t be seen! They laughed about it later - so I’m told!

suzied Wed 07-Nov-18 11:15:33

Italian Pannetone (sp?) is good in Aldi and Lidl and those ginger biscuits with dark chocolate, can't remember what they are called I think they are German. My OH swears by the smoked salmon from Ikea if anyone goes to their food section.

gmelon Wed 07-Nov-18 11:31:42

suzied The chocolate gingerbread.
My first Christmas purchase from Lidl.

gmelon Wed 07-Nov-18 12:10:06

You must have known!
Lebkuchen, I have googled it because the writing on the bag is indecipherable.

Greyduster Wed 07-Nov-18 13:00:10

I picked up a Christmas food brochure from Aldi this morning and it is full of really yummy stuff. I’ve had to put it away because I am on a self imposed diet and it is making me hungry!!

GrandmaPam Thu 08-Nov-18 09:55:51

Any of their chocolate! It's to die for...much nicer than Cadburys or Nestle and so cheap. Especially now nearing Christmas, they have some lovely treats in. Also, Lidl do some lovely pork medallions, and small joints of beef - their meats are always worth checking out

Juggernaut Thu 08-Nov-18 09:59:16

Aldi's Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut NV is lovely!
They've just brought out a 'new' Champagne, 2004 vintage which we've not tried yet, but I'm perfectly happy with the 2011!winewinewine

Sheilasue Thu 08-Nov-18 10:03:08

We have a Lidl in our town. We buy our nuts from there not salted ones, though I get them in there for Christmas, the nuts are cheaper then anywhere else. Like their chocolate too.

NannyG123 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:15:41

I really like Aldi even today I went over and bought rolls, milk etc and whilst walking down the middle aisle I picked up a few little stocking fillers for my grandson,and a little girl I childmind. As I only work part time and my husband is retired we have to watch our pennies now,so Aldi and Lidl are good for us.

SueB14 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:15:44

Lidl do the best mince pies ever!

4allweknow Thu 08-Nov-18 10:18:52

Bought salted caramel mince pies from Aldi yesterday. So keen to taste them with cuppa in the morning. So disappointed. Hardly any filling and couldn't taste any salted caramel. Usually very pleased with what I buy nut won't be having these again.

Harris27 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:20:19

Love aldi and used to buy my Christmas treats at m&s but think it'll be just aldi this year im a convert! There three bird roast is lovely.

aprilgrace Thu 08-Nov-18 10:22:09

The frozen turkey joints are lovely. You can cook them from frozen in just under 2 hours. I always buy several while they’re in stock and we enjoy them throughout the year.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 08-Nov-18 10:29:09

I love their Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese, really tasty and yummy. Their Thick & Creamy yogurts are absolutely gorgeous too, especially the raspberry ones. And I like the bag of frozen cauliflower cheese, really handy for a single serving.

Blinko Thu 08-Nov-18 10:34:23

Salmon Wellington from Aldi is fab. Available all year, btw.

nipsmum Thu 08-Nov-18 10:37:37

I got an online delivery from Aldi yesterday of yarn and other goodies. Have any of you Gransnetters tried Aldi Salmon Wellington. Delicious. I might just go now and buy one for the family Sunday lunch. I'll do my Tesco order another day.

Willow500 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:48:06

I've made a list from here grin We received a brochure from Aldi the other day and the food looks lovely in there. We have both a new Aldi store and a Lidl store here and I shop in both. I like Lidl's fresh bread and their Luxury hot X buns at Easter are delicious. I'll look out for these products when I next go.

Harris27 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:55:54

I wish they delivered groceries I'd be first in line for that!

Jane43 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:58:45

EllanVannin my DH was like you but when I persuaded him to try Aldi for food he was converted. I can assure you their food is very good quality and much cheaper than other supermarkets, especially Sainsburys.

hereshoping Thu 08-Nov-18 11:00:03

Very handy thread , thank you.
We have an Aldi near us, but the other side of town, so a bit too far for me to walk unless there's an incentive.
Shame that they don't advertise food offers on their e-mails, I might then be tempted to make the effort sometimes.

annsixty Thu 08-Nov-18 11:03:11

I agree about the Salmon Wellington, I am going to get one for Christmas Eve, M&s are doing one , it is£25 ,serves 4.
I think Aldi's is about a fiver.

Teacheranne Thu 08-Nov-18 11:16:56

I love the chocolate cherry liquors from Aldi, I reckon they are supplied by the people who supply M&S as they are wrapped identically. I also buy my mince pies and Prosecco from Aldi. I can recommend their crackers for cheese as they have some very tasty flavours. I spend a fortune when I go to Aldi!

I have a delivery of wool from them expected today, I buy it online as my local store often runs out. When they were planning to build an Aldi in my area, some locals objected as they did not want a cheap shop in the village - the other shop being a Waitrose! Luckily they went ahead and now everyone I know shops there and raves about the food and the prices.

The only things I have been disappointed in is their fresh fruit, I find it does not have the shelf life of other supermarket produce and living on my own I was not eating it fast enough! It is great for families though with lots of mouths to feed as they have several low priced items each week so it is easy to cook healthy meals on a tight budget.

I might pop in this afternoon to see what I fancy!