Gransnet forums

Food

Im new to Lidl and Aldi at Christmas .

(142 Posts)
gmelon Tue 06-Nov-18 21:29:56

I wonder if you will share your tastiest and favourite buys from Christmas at Lidl and Aldi.

I've never lived near one.
This year they've built a massive Aldi and I'm near a Lidl too.

I'm aware there was a bit of a thread going a while ago with some content but this one is completely dedicated to the lovely tasty subject.

gmelon Thu 08-Nov-18 22:56:17

Has anyone tried the fudge? In a flat tray with decoration that may be chocolate or/and nuts.
I had my eye on it today but thought I'd check first.

MissAdventure Thu 08-Nov-18 23:10:11

They weren't the crackers I was thinking of, but those ones are nice too! smile
I think I've tried them all!

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 23:26:31

stop it please grin

I'm trying to lose weight.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 23:27:43

ps although I did buy some Baklava in Lidl the other day - I hid them but unfortunately I can remember where I hid them.

MissAdventure Thu 08-Nov-18 23:29:19

Oh, leave it till after Christmas!
New year, new start.
Whats the point of starting now... (that's what the little fat imp on my shoulder whispers to me, anyway.) wink

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 23:38:30

Nooo!
I keep trying before Christmas so I can indulge and in January you need more food to keep out the cold etc etc,
Be quiet imp!

MissAdventure Thu 08-Nov-18 23:40:56

grin

Nanna58 Fri 09-Nov-18 09:57:13

I always hated Christmas pudding until I ate the Aldi version with all the glacé fruits piled on top -unfortunately for my waistline it is amazing and I eat loads!

Nanna58 Fri 09-Nov-18 10:02:34

Also, a posh friend of mine went in there ( possibly in disguise!) because Lidl had a version of Aperol for a spritz that was better than the original

Juggernaut Fri 09-Nov-18 10:44:49

Jalima
I get DH to hide things for me, but his memory's not great, so if he forgets where he's hidden something, we're scuppered!wink

gmelon Fri 09-Nov-18 12:21:46

jalima yep we hide things too.
As with you can't always guarantee to find them.
This year we were eating Christmas cake, biscuits and quality street in July.
Easter eggs for the grandchildren were also discovered in July.

Chewbacca Fri 09-Nov-18 13:33:43

I hid a box of chocolate flowers (meant for GC at Easter) in the glove box of my car. Forgot all about them. Car went in for service in August and the mechanic went to the glove box for service history book. Oh the mess! Chocolate coated maps, car manual and service book and gloves, all congealed together. I could have wept for the waste of good chocolate.sad

Marmight Fri 09-Nov-18 18:18:00

I love Aldi and no longer wear a paper bag on my head in case someone sees me! I'm not proud.. It is full of stuff you didn't know you needed. I once bought a very fetching pair of ladies padded cycling knickers in case I took up cycling (I haven't). Then there was the contraption to fit on the side of the bath to aid exit (it went back as I decided I wasn't yet old enough to require assistance). I have a frying/grilling pan divided into 5 sections which, being on my own, is slightly excess to requirement and there's the torch which could light up Buckingham Palace from the other end of Pall Mall, oh and the dinky little charger in a delicate shade of rose quartz which will charge not only my mobile but also my iPad should I find myself stranded without power on the top of a mountain/a desert island/or just in a power cut. On the plus side their Creme de Jura at less than £7 is to die for. I'm more than partial to their pate de compagne, smoked salmon and gravadlax all of which are affordable and they have just introduced a lovely range of vegetarian dishes which are cheaper to buy than concoct oneself. If, by chance, I found myself locked in all alone in Aldi after hours, I would be one happy bunny ?

(& the salted caramel chocs ain't bad either ?)

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 18:28:48

I saw some more baklava today in Lidl but resisted buying more. DH waved a bar of my favourite chocolate at me too and I said no, don't put it in the trolley.
[sigh]

MissAdventure Fri 09-Nov-18 18:31:20

Pssst... pssssst! Go on... just one little bar of chocolate....

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 18:33:13

a moment on the lips etc ….

annodomini Fri 09-Nov-18 19:42:32

One thing that annoys me about Aldi is that there is rarely a member of staff around to ask for information or help. Today I couldn't reach the kind of crackers I wanted and couldn't find anyone tall enough to get them down for me. I have given up trying to get soda water as the bottles are never accessible.
I suppose that if they had more people around to help, the prices would have to go up.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 20:13:53

I was trying to get the attention of an assistant in Waitrose today, but he seemed more intent on hiding behind the wine display confused - I had no idea what he was doing as he kept dodging from side to side.

Marydoll Fri 09-Nov-18 20:16:02

I went to Lidl today and DH tagged along to help with the bags.
I had a voucher for £5 off a £30 spend, which was all I was planning to spend, as I didn't need much.
It was a big mistake to take DH, I spent £80! grin

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:30:26

For research purposes I have bought and shall be cooking Aldis Stuffed Goose for lunch tomorrow- I shall report back!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Nov-18 19:14:36

Reporting back on the stuffed boneless goose - very tasty, but the it is meant to feed 6-8, it barely fed 4 adults and a 3 year old (and one of the adults (me) eats hardly any

gmelon Mon 12-Nov-18 14:03:42

"grannygravy" I often wonder who the six to eight people are that joints, cakes etc are tested on.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Nov-18 14:30:43

I think the 6-8 must have no appetite at all. Or have a whole day tasting/testing that they just pick!!!

EllanVannin Mon 12-Nov-18 14:46:02

I must say it all sounds very exciting for someone who's programmed to enter M&S which is just next door. I get a bit disorientated if I go in somewhere different to what I'm used to as I find myself wandering around like a lost sheep. I never used to be like this.

Winniewit Tue 13-Nov-18 15:09:24

This is a wonderful post,,,im learning so much about what to look for,,thank you ladies,