Gransnet forums

Food

Loaf tin Christmas cake.

(14 Posts)
Blue45Sapphire Sat 17-Nov-18 08:03:59

Thank you everyone, I have all the stuff now, and will be putting the fruit to soak today to make the cake tomorrow. Have decided to use half quantity of my normal recipe, (Sainsbury's Five Ingredients one).

lemongrove Fri 09-Nov-18 21:48:50

As Ellen says, half the recipe, (and still wrap the loaf tin with double brown paper) It’s a good idea to make a smaller one, we often end up giving it to the birds ( mind you, the robins love it!)

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 21:05:19

Be careful to check the timings though, as an oblong cake may cook more quickly than a round cake.

SpringyChicken Fri 09-Nov-18 21:02:43

How is your maths, Blue45Sapphire?
If you calculate the area of the base of rectangular cake tin and divide it by the area of the base of the round cake tin base, you will obtain a number commencing zero point xxx.

Multiply that number with every weight of ingredients in the recipe and you will scale it down to suit your smaller tin. The resulting cake will be the same height as the original larger cake.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 20:20:39

We never throw away Christmas cake! Although we probably should.

I made the Jamaican Black Cake in loaf tins last year.

www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/c/caribbean-black-cake.html

You don't have to use Waitrose ingredients, any will do smile

Blue45Sapphire Fri 09-Nov-18 20:18:14

Whoops should have read more carefully, just seen suggested cooking time! Very low temperature though, 115C in a fan oven.

Blue45Sapphire Fri 09-Nov-18 20:15:02

Thank you. One thing though, is Delia's basic recipe the one in her original Cookery Course books? And how long do you cook it for?

Nannarose Fri 09-Nov-18 14:06:50

I make full size one for us, and several loaf tins for gifts / raffles every year. A 1 lb, loaf tin takes about half the usual quantity (ie: Delia's basic recipe)

Helennonotion Fri 09-Nov-18 10:57:24

I was wondering this the other day and found this which might be helpful. www.deliaonline.com/ask-lindsey/christmas-cake-in-a-loaf-tin. I adore Christmas cake and if I make a big one I will probably eat the lot before January begins!

henetha Fri 09-Nov-18 10:44:51

Is there a recipe that uses less sugar maybe? I'm pre-diabetic and trying to cut down on sweet things. But I love Christmas cake and will compromise!

EllanVannin Fri 09-Nov-18 10:06:10

Halve the ingredients that you'd do for a full sized one. Adjust the cooking time too.

JessK Fri 09-Nov-18 09:36:03

Yes, me too. I would love to hear of any recipes for smaller cakes.

Jane10 Fri 09-Nov-18 09:33:58

I love Christmas cake. Make your usual size and post the bit left over to me!

Blue45Sapphire Fri 09-Nov-18 08:53:47

I would like to make a smaller Christmas cake this year, as I usually end up throwing half of ours away in the summer, and thought a loaf size one would be ideal. Does anyone know of a recipe, or how I go about reducing quantities, please?