Gransnet forums

Food

Bacon and Onion Pudding in the Slow Cooker?

(41 Posts)
spottysocks Sat 01-Dec-18 16:05:00

I've just made the above in the slow cooker hmm waiting with trepidation as in the past I've always cooked it on the top in a saucepan steaming away for hours on end.

Has anyone ever tried this?

MissAdventure Sat 01-Dec-18 16:15:38

Oh I was just going to ask for the recipe, it sounds lovely!
Then I remembered I threw my old slow cooker away in the summer.

Nanagem Sat 01-Dec-18 16:27:33

I would like the recipe please, love bacon

Marelli Sat 01-Dec-18 16:41:17

Me too, please. ?

DanniRae Sat 01-Dec-18 16:58:23

Me too but to cook in a saucepan, please smile

MissAdventure Sat 01-Dec-18 16:59:36

I'm sure I have eaten a pudding like this at some long forgotten point.
I can almost taste it!

lemongrove Sat 01-Dec-18 17:00:37

Well, that sounds very tasty indeed, may we all join you?smile

Caledonai14 Sat 01-Dec-18 17:22:06

I'd love to know how that works out Spottysocks.

1974cookie Sat 01-Dec-18 17:38:45

Me too Spottysocks, the recipe would be most appreciated. Sounds like the perfect Winter recipe.
Slow Cookers are worth their weight in gold I think. One of the most versatile pieces of kitchen equipment, cheap to use, cheaper to buy now than they ever were and best of all, unlike a traditional steamer, no worries about having to top up the water ?.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 01-Dec-18 17:44:10

I would also love this recipe please

1974cookie Sat 01-Dec-18 17:54:39

For those new to Slow Cookers, or not sure how to adapt recipes etc, can I recommend a cheap little paperback book that is the best book about slow cooking that I have ever come across. It gives you all the basics but without the frills. It also has 100+ recipes.
It is called Slow Cooking properly explained by Dianne Page.
I bought my copy nearly 20 years ago. I learned so much from it.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Dec-18 17:57:37

My DM used to make bacon and onion pudding

I have an old slow cooker cookbook somewhere, it may be that one. The recipes that came with the cooker are very limited.

Elegran Sat 01-Dec-18 18:13:57

My mother used to make that, steamed over a saucepan. I'd love the slow cooker recipe too.

1974cookie Sat 01-Dec-18 18:16:28

I agree with You Jalimal.
I have always found that the recipe booklets supplied with Slow Cookers are not only limited, but the recipes are often quite fancy, not what I call 'everyday recipes'. It does not encourage anyone to use a slow cooker and that it probably why so many of them are sitting in the back of a kitchen cupboard.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Dec-18 18:22:44

It only has about four recipes!

I'm off to look for my old slow cooker book.

spottysocks Sat 01-Dec-18 18:34:09

This is how I made it for two greedy people! lol

4 oz SR Flour (plus extra for rolling out)
2 oz Suet
A little cold water to mix
1 Onion
8 Rashes of Back Bacon
1 Oxo cube mixed with a little water

Mix together the flour and suet, add a little water to make a soft dough and roll out into a circle. Line a greased pudding basin with the dough saving a quarter of this for the lid. Slice the onion and fry in a little oil, cut up the bacon into small pieces, add to the onions until softened. Transfer this into the pudding basin and add a little of the oxo gravy. You need to leave enough room for the dough to rise. Roll out the remainder of the dough into a round for the lid and press down firmly. Cover with the basin lid or make your own with tin foil and string placed around the basin to keep the water out. Put into a saucepan with water half way up the basin bring to the boil, and simmer for around 3.5 hours (keeping the saucepan lid on) make sure the water does not boil dry and top up when necessary.

spottysocks Sat 01-Dec-18 18:42:36

I think I prefer the pudding cooked on the stove top, as in the slow cooker it was a bit too crusty for me on the bottom. Maybe it was a bit overcooked. I put in on at 11 am on high and it was ready at 5.30. A lot less steaming up of the windows though and I could go away and leave it for a couple of hours without worrying, I did need to top it up once. Saying that we ate the lot smile

Elegran Sat 01-Dec-18 19:45:55

Was the basin resting directly on the the base of the slow cooker or raised up a bit on a rack or some scrunched-up foil? That might make a difference to the crusty bottom.

Elegran Sat 01-Dec-18 19:49:12

Was the basin resting directly on the the base of the slow cooker or raised up a bit on a rack or some scrunched-up foil? That might make a difference to the crusty bottom.

Elegran Sat 01-Dec-18 19:49:33

Sorry that was duplicated.

spottysocks Sat 01-Dec-18 20:22:40

It was resting directly on the base of the slow cooker. I do think it may have been over -cooked.

DanniRae Sun 02-Dec-18 09:19:08

Thanks spottysocks! I'll give it a try tchsmile

EllanVannin Sun 02-Dec-18 10:11:23

Aw shucks I gave my slow cooker to my GD not that long ago-----it was such a large one. That recipe sounds great though. Strange how I'm good at memorizing recipes but not mobile phone numbers. Because it's about food I suppose smile

1974cookie Sun 02-Dec-18 19:12:11

Thank You Spottysocks for the recipe.
Am I right in thinking that is made in a 1 pint pudding basin ?
Try an upturned saucer as a stand at the base of the slow cooker to rest the pudding basin on.
I cannot wait to try it.

petra Mon 03-Dec-18 08:33:47

We find its best done in the pressure cooker.