Gransnet forums

Food

xmas pudding (homemade)

(15 Posts)
Jomarie Mon 03-Dec-18 18:08:41

Clearing out my freezer (one in the garage) I came across a Christmas pudding which had been in there for (probably) two years - have been ignoring it up until now - but with new freezer coming tomorrow have had to clear out the old one and cannot ignore anymore! My question is as it has been frozen for so long will it have deteriorated to the point of being dangerous to eat or will the brandy have preserved it sufficiently for me to serve it up at Christmas??? It is a big one and will be perfect for family meal. I don't want to poison anyone (well, not all of them) so would value your views. I know some will be shocked and horrified and others will be gung ho about it but I thought I would take a tally and go with the majority !!! grin

aggie Mon 03-Dec-18 18:14:05

I never freeze mine and they keep for a couple of years without brandy ! so I would say yours will be delicious

Chewbacca Mon 03-Dec-18 18:18:28

I've got a Heston Blumenthal Hidden Orange Christmas pudding in the cupboard that's been there for over 5 years to my knowledge! Possibly longer. Beyond edible? hmm

Hilltopgran Mon 03-Dec-18 18:33:03

I have at times found bread, cakes fruit and veg which have been missed and are two years old in the freezer. They have been fine when used, provided the christmas pudding is throughly defrosted and properly reheated I would use it this year and be pleased to cross one item off the christmas shopping list.

mumofmadboys Mon 03-Dec-18 18:40:05

I would defrost it and reheat for Christmas.No problem

Welshwife Mon 03-Dec-18 18:40:50

I have had one which was in the freezer for a couple of years. I defrosted it and then used a kebab stick to prick holes all over the surface and gave it a good dose of brandy. I did this because it looked a bit dry - it was beautifully moist and very tasty.
Even after keeping for a year in the cupboard I always dose it up a couple of weeks before using.

Jomarie Mon 03-Dec-18 19:33:45

Brilliant! Just the answers I had hoped for
Will do as suggested ie defrost thoroughly and drip feed with brandy!! Hey ho what’s not to like (as the saying goes) thanks to all who responded grin

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Dec-18 20:05:39

I have one in the cupboard which has been there for 2 or 3 years and DH and I will eat it at some point, although I know the family won't.
I've never frozen a Christmas pudding.

I would recommend steaming it for a couple of hours rather than microwaving it Jomarie

aggie Mon 03-Dec-18 22:10:21

Steaming definately , Microwave would probably dry it out , never mind all that Brandy going up in flames lol

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Dec-18 22:52:36

in a slow cooker if you have one (see other thread on Christmas puds)

Izabella Tue 04-Dec-18 10:29:15

I never freeze mine but coincidentally also found one as the back of a shelf. As its only a small one I am crumbing it up and making christmas pudding ice cream later today, so that's another option. Will probably be a lighter option too after a big feast.

FarawayGran Tue 04-Dec-18 13:35:21

Christmas puds definitely keep for years, especially when containing alcohol. Like good wine and whisky they improve with age.

NemosMum Tue 04-Dec-18 13:36:19

The only thing is it might have suffered from 'freezer burn' and be a bit dry. In this case, I would cut it into slices, fry in butter (and optional brandy) and eat with ice cream. No need to freeze Christmas puddings. They keep for years if wrapped up and become vintage puds. Delicious!

Jomarie Fri 07-Dec-18 23:16:22

It is now defrosting very slowly in the fridge and will be injected with brandy (once I buy some) over the next couple of weeks and will then be gently steamed for two hours before serving it up on the day with cream and (for me) custard !!! None will know unless they join Gransnet in between time grin

Izabella Sat 08-Dec-18 20:04:40

Ice cream is excellent btw