Gransnet forums

Food

Bread maker recommendations please

(19 Posts)
Grammaretto Sat 08-Dec-18 10:52:55

This subject has probably been covered many times. I want to get DDs family a breadmaking machine for Christmas.
Family of 4. Any suggestions?
I once had one but the bread was always too hard on the outside. I gave it away.

MawBroon Sat 08-Dec-18 10:57:34

I think it has!
I have been very happy with my Panasonic.

Izabella Sat 08-Dec-18 11:13:08

Very happy with the current husband who does artisan sourdough. ?

But to answer your question I had one from Lakeland some years ago, again a Panasonic. I found that adding oil to the ingredients prevented the crust you describe

Scribbles Sat 08-Dec-18 11:52:00

Another vote for Panasonic here. Like Izabella, I use 2 tbs of olive or sunflower oil instead of 25g of butter to get a s!lightly softer crust.

SueDonim Sat 08-Dec-18 13:19:15

Panasonic here. I use just a small amount of oil rather than butter.

Grammaretto Sat 08-Dec-18 13:25:17

Thanks. Your best buys match the which reports so I guess it's Panasonic!

BBbevan Sat 08-Dec-18 14:25:22

Like Maw we have. Panasonic . Makes a great variety of loaves. Also cake, but I haven't used that facility.

Grammaretto Sat 08-Dec-18 15:11:04

Purchased. Thank you everyone.

BBbevan Sat 08-Dec-18 17:39:26

You are very welcome. Enjoy your lovely fresh bread

LullyDully Sat 08-Dec-18 19:56:29

I use half white and half wholemeal using white recipe. Very tasty. I prefer to prepare dough then bake in the oven.

Izabella Sat 08-Dec-18 20:02:36

I am just about to research mixers as nine burnt out today. I would love a big Kenwood but they are just too big. Any ideas.

Bathsheba Sat 08-Dec-18 20:13:21

I had a Panasonic some years ago, but in the end I gave it away because to be honest I hated the shape of the loaf it made, just a square brick shaped thing, and I hated the flipping hole left in the bottom of it from the dough hook!
By the way, the trick I always used to keep the crust soft was to brush the entire surface of the loaf with milk immediately it comes out of the pan. Never failed!

aggie Sat 08-Dec-18 20:43:07

My Panasonic doesn't leave a hole in the loaf , and it is more rectangular than square , maybe you needed a spoon more fluid ?

Bathsheba Sat 08-Dec-18 21:11:52

Actually, come to think of it, it wasn't a Panasonic, but a Morphy Richards. Surely, though, they're basically the same - a bread pan with a dough hook in the bottom which mixes the dough, then leaves it to prove before cooking? How, then, can you remove the bread from the pan - from the dough hook - without it leaving a hole?

Anja Sat 08-Dec-18 21:41:56

.There is a 2501 version which has a little contraction for adding extra ingredients if you are making eg panatone or olive bread.,

I use mine all the time.

Anja Sat 08-Dec-18 21:42:56

Oh just saw that you’ve bought one!

aggie Sat 08-Dec-18 22:27:41

I can assure you it doesn't leave a hole , there is a slight sort of cut in the bottom where the slim paddle slides out . You have just explained why the bread wasn't great .... wrong make , I have tried that make and it was just ok , but the Panasonic is tip top

Bathsheba Sat 08-Dec-18 22:29:06

Ah, thanks aggie. If I had the room, I might well consider buying a Panasonic, but I really don't! Oh well, never mind.

GrandmaFaye Sat 08-Dec-18 23:29:45

I am not sure if I am posting this in the appropriate place.

I am looking for recipes using corn that anyone has to share.

Thanks