Gransnet forums

Food

Goose

(38 Posts)
Izabella Sat 08-Dec-18 19:55:33

Any recommendations for the best ingredients to stuff a goose please?

ffinnochio Sat 08-Dec-18 20:35:40

My mother used:
White bread
Lots of parsley
Thyme .. go easy on this
1 Large Cooking apple - grated
Onion
Butter
Pepper and salt
Sometimes a few chestnuts.

Very simple. Goose is fatty, so needs some sharpness to counterbalance, but not to overwhelmed the flavour of the goose.

phoenix Sat 08-Dec-18 20:36:06

Delia (may her name be forever praised) has a recipe for goose with prunes and Armagnac .

Fennel Sun 09-Dec-18 09:11:50

I was going to suggest something similar to ffinnochio's.
I've only cooked a goose once - when we were living in the country a neighbour gave us a live goose, because it was being a nuisance and we had a big pond.
One xmas we decided he or she was going to be our xmas dinner.
I searched online for stuffing recipes, and remember it had apple and grated lemon rind etc. And definitely onion.

mabon1 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:04:05

Look at Delia. We have goose New Year.

CarlyD7 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:04:19

I was also going to recommend Delia's goose recipe. (There are also some lovely roast goose recipes on bbcgoodfood.com). Also can I recommend serving with it red cabbage cooked with onions, apple and cinnamon. Goose is richer than turkey and you won't have as much meat left over (which can be a blessing!), but you will have lots of goose fat for roast potatoes for months to come! It makes a lovely change. Hope you enjoy it.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Dec-18 11:08:44

Perhaps ask Mrs May?

David1968 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:23:22

Fennel - what happened next?

merlotgran Sun 09-Dec-18 11:26:17

We used to be given a goose every Christmas by a farming friend and neighbour. I always made Delia's sage and apple stuffing and served it with her spiced pickled pears.

The following November I'd discover the jar of SPP lurking at the back of the cupboard, chuck it out and start all over again. hmm

Fennel Sun 09-Dec-18 11:40:13

David - smile - husband did the killing and emptying. We both did the plucking.
She was quite a fierce creature, took over the protection of some hen chicks and once bit me when I got too close. I think they have teeth!

Blinko Sun 09-Dec-18 11:48:39

Urmston [tchgrin}

Blinko Sun 09-Dec-18 11:49:01

Oh for Pete's sake tchgrin

Fennel Sun 09-Dec-18 11:53:58

grin just got it urmston!

silverlining48 Sun 09-Dec-18 12:02:46

Red cabbage is always good with goose .

Nvella Sun 09-Dec-18 12:30:27

The best goose recipe I have used is Richard Corrigan’s:

www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2011/1003/746699-marmalade-goose-with-gravy/

Urmstongran Sun 09-Dec-18 12:34:33

Well done Fennel! I hear she is cooking her own goose (maybe in more ways than one).

oldgaijin Sun 09-Dec-18 12:36:06

aaah, roast goose, stuffed with black pudding, floating on a sea of apple sauce.

Matelda Sun 09-Dec-18 14:02:33

My son cooked us a goose last year - it looked spectacular. However, it produced what seemed like a bucketful of grease. The whole kitchen was swimming in it, and for three days afterwards every utensil and surface in the kitchen was slick with the stuff, no matter how hard I scrubbed. It's back to turkey for us this year. I see that there's a mention of "lots of goose fat for roast potatoes for months to come" above. I think that might work for people who have a large family coming round for roast dinner every week.

DotMH1901 Sun 09-Dec-18 14:04:46

My daughter bought a goose for us last year - lots of fat (made lovely roast potatoes) but not much meat - did one meal for five people. I roasted it on a trivet and basted it frequently. We are having Turkey crown this year - much easier to deal with!

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 14:38:46

Thank you all. Suggestions noted, and it will be something 'sharp' to contrast. We have had goose on several occasions and the current husband is extremely good at roasting them, just fancied a change of flavours coming through.

I have already made a sauce of red wine and dates for it which is in the freezer.

aquafish Sun 09-Dec-18 14:50:06

Another vote for Delia’s prune & armagnac with prune compote- looking forward to a goose at Christmas as having turkey for mock Christmas with our daughter the week before- can’t face 2 turkeys! Hope you enjoy yours!

Granless Sun 09-Dec-18 15:15:08

My friend, one Christmas, won a goose in a raffle. She was asked to collect it on a particular date. Off she went to said farm on said date. On arrival was met by the farmer who said she was to go in to the barn and choose the one she wanted. She was mortified - they were all still alive! Needless to say she didn’t want to ‘choose one’ and left very quickly.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Dec-18 16:00:45

Ooh that sounds yummy oldgaijin!
In 45 years of wedded bliss I’ve only done goose once. Didn’t stretch very far (luckily only 5 of us that particular Christmas) & I agree it was very fatty. A bit too much faffing about. So turkey since then for us.
Anyone remember capons? Are they still available?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 09-Dec-18 16:09:57

We have always used cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered and prunes, soaked overnight beforehand, unless they are very soft and sage and onion stuffing.

Enjoy your goose, I love goose, but as we are only DH and me for Christmas dinner, we won't be having goose, as it is two big for only two people.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Dec-18 16:29:19

If you love it so much grandtanteJE65 could you not enjoy it & then strip it from the bones to eat another day? Does it freeze well - I have no idea? Or just on a plate with bits & bobs - is it even nice cold - I wouldn’t know.