Gransnet forums

Food

How many have you done?

(65 Posts)
pen50 Sun 09-Dec-18 12:09:25

I'm cooking Christmas this year, and I reckon it's my 31st. There have been odd occasions done by others, or at hotels, but normally it's me. There's an added complication with my coeliac disease, and as I REALLY like Christmas food, and find the gluten-free ready made products pretty revolting, I tend to make pretty much everything from scratch (even rendered my own suet this year as Atora won't stop using wheat flour, and the commercial alternatives are revolting.)

So what's your count? And how much do you do yourself?

Ilovecheese Sun 09-Dec-18 12:17:11

I reckon I've done 40. Nearly everything made myself except Christmas pudding.

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Dec-18 12:22:59

Let me know if you find a good gluten-free pastry recipe please pen50.
I have made it myself (like concrete) and bought it ready-made (even worse).

Cakes, puddings, stuffings etc made with gf flour and gf breadcrumbs seem fine, it's just pastry.

kittylester Sun 09-Dec-18 12:30:14

46!! But we are running away this year!

I've just made some mince pies with genius puff pastry, jalima - they look ok but rolling out the pastry was difficult!!

I'd like a recipe please too. I went on a course once and the pastry was ok but you had to buy their special flour mix at ยฃ9 A pack plus postage!!tchshock

annsixty Sun 09-Dec-18 12:33:03

Well this year is probably at least 50, after 60 years of marriage there have been very few when I haven't done the cooking.
However this will be the oddest ever. Just under 3 weeks ago my H went into a care home, my D is coming to stay as her C are spending Christmas with their father 3000 miles away.
Just the 2 of us, we are not looking forward to it at all.

mumofmadboys Sun 09-Dec-18 14:21:14

Have a laid back low key day Ann. Perhaps make it different by cooking salmon or an alternative. I guess you will go and visit your DH too. You can think how well you have survived a very difficult year and come out the other end. Enjoy some girly films and relax.x

Katyj Sun 09-Dec-18 14:50:02

40! Apart from one where we went to a restuarant.Our son has invited us this year for the first time, so looking forward to it.Everybody will be at our house boxing day, but I'm doing a simple buffet, so no slaving away for me this year. Great smile

jusnoneed Sun 09-Dec-18 15:06:08

I think 38, first year married I did the parents then in-laws thing and after that a couple times at my parents as they had lots of room (publicans). Other than that I have had the task of catering. I used to enjoy it, but it gets more of a chore each year now. Only three of us so more hassle than it's worth really.

merlotgran Sun 09-Dec-18 15:07:46

www.amazon.co.uk/Suma-Prepacks-Suet-Vegetarian-250g/dp/B01EI24I5S/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?keywords=gluten+free+suet&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1544367798&sr=8-2

I use this suet.

I think I've done about 40 Christmases. DD2 does every other year now.

granma47 Sun 09-Dec-18 15:08:54

I could have written that myself. After 45+ Christmas dinners, with elderly parents in the past and children and their short term and long term partners, I decided I wouldn't be doing Christmas this year. The reason we have decided to go away is because we would still have people visiting needed refreshment if we were at home and I just don't want the stress of Christmas food shopping.

FlexibleFriend Sun 09-Dec-18 15:58:38

I've cooked every christmas dinner that I've eaten since the age of 16 except one and I'm now 64 so over 45. Spent the one I didn't cook in the Bahamas had a fab time but Christmas carols around the pool ain't for me, I'd rather stay home.

cornergran Sun 09-Dec-18 16:10:04

Only about 40 out of 49. Not this year, one of the family is cooking tchsmile.

Chewbacca Sun 09-Dec-18 16:42:03

45 minus the one where we went out for a disastrous Christmas Day lunch at a local hotel 40 years ago. I don't seem to be getting time off for good behaviour. hmm

M0nica Sun 09-Dec-18 16:42:06

SueDonim Sun 09-Dec-18 17:04:06

This will be the 44th Christmas dinner I've cooked. I've missed two. One was in the 1980's, when Dh was working away and I took the three children, inc a 6mth old baby, to London to stay with friends.

The two older children and I caught stomach bugs and our friends had a massive falling out and didn't speak to each other for days. I swore I'd never go away at Xmas again. grin

However, we spent Xmas at my son's about three years ago and that was much better.

ninathenana Sun 09-Dec-18 17:52:50

Until my dad died mum and I would take it in turns to host Christmas dinner. After that mum would come and stay with us. Working it out it must be approx 36.

Lynne59 Sun 09-Dec-18 17:55:26

I've been married for 38 years, and I've never cooked a Christmas dinner - my husband has always insisted on doing it (and he does it so well).

Greyduster Mon 10-Dec-18 07:41:13

I must have cooked around 45+ in 52 years of marriage; my first ever in the Far East, which felt very strange.

maryhoffman37 Mon 10-Dec-18 11:03:36

I've definitely done more than 40 and am doing it again this year but I had a year "off" in 2016. It felt very strange but husband and I had a plan for the day, kept to it and had a lovely time.

grandMattie Mon 10-Dec-18 11:09:28

Done 45 (been married 42 years)- just one spent with my parents when the children were small... this year it would seem we are alone; quite looking forward to it, I must say!

moxeyns Mon 10-Dec-18 11:20:32

Probably only my 4th or 5th - it's been my elder sister's preserve, but she's now decided to hand the baton on to me! Good job my chef daughter is home this year, she can supervise...

Jan51 Mon 10-Dec-18 11:29:25

Not done many. For the first 30 yrs of marriage we always went to my Mum & Dad's (later just my Dad) so just used to help with odd bits and pieces. Then did a few at home but once DD's moved out we would alternate between their places and ours but as it is my birthday on christmas day I have not been allowed in the kitchen, even in my own house. Now more grandchildren have come along and DDs live near each other in Cornwall we spend christmas down there.

Granjan06 Mon 10-Dec-18 11:31:54

I've done 7, last was in 1992, my 2nd husband always insisted on doing Christmas Dinner as well as Sunday lunch, when he passed away 11 years ago my eldest daughter took over and has cooked Christmas dinner. Although I've always offered to assist I never get into the kitchen.

starbox Mon 10-Dec-18 11:35:39

Never! Do as little Christmas stuff as possible- some years we have cheese on toast, tho this year I think hubby's cooking a nut roast ready meal!

Beloulou Mon 10-Dec-18 11:39:13

31 so far (I'm still a baby gran?). The five before that, I was working nights at our local hospital. I'm hoping to hand over to my eldest next year, but we will have to see.