Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas Veggie

(67 Posts)
oldbatty Tue 18-Dec-18 09:10:01

Can anybody suggest a simple but tasty offering? Not but roast? Is Tofu worth trying? Thanks in advance.

Overthehills Tue 18-Dec-18 11:55:17

I love butter beans Jaycee5 (I’m not vegetarian but make a lot of veggie dishes and only have meat a couple of times a week) - where did you get the recipe please?

Dontaskme Tue 18-Dec-18 12:03:20

Quorn roast here too

rockgran Tue 18-Dec-18 12:18:06

Rose Elliot's "Chestnut and Red Wine Pate en croute" is fabulous.

rockgran Tue 18-Dec-18 12:21:29

I love just a few ready cooked chestnuts and a portabello mushroom which with all the other trimmings available make a very tasty veggie meal. I shall be having this with my non vegetarian family - no bother.

M0nica Tue 18-Dec-18 12:23:02

Camembert Wellington went down a treat with a vegetarian friend.

I am afraid the Beet Wellington sounds desperately dull to me.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 18-Dec-18 12:29:37

Toto309. Iceland have a varied vegetarian selection fresh and frozen.Veggie tarte tatin delicious.

TheOldDear Tue 18-Dec-18 13:39:05

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what to do with the whole chestnuts you buy in a foil pouch? I don’t mean anything grand for entertaining, just in general how they’re best used. I’m vegetarian and my favourite meals are salads with lots of radicchio and just vegetables covered in cheese sauce.

Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 13:48:46

Waitrose have an advert for beet wellington. It didn't inspire me either. Though I'm very fond of plain boiled baby beets.
We were veggie for a few years but ate fish. I once made sweet and sour prawns with rice which was well received.
And a traditional xmas pudding with veggie suet and brandy butter.
I still sometimes make a recipe similar to Gagagran's stuffed peppers (page 1) Just for every day.

Hm999 Tue 18-Dec-18 13:57:36

I think M&S did a veggie roast which was lovely.
Or
www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-nut-roast--taste-the-difference-550g-7406064-p-44?istCompanyId=1e096408-041f-4238-994e-a7cf46bf9413&istItemId=wxtiapripl&istBid=t&PPC=*&gclid=CjwKCAiA0uLgBRABEiwAecFnk7waJYzB4T5WkBzWtwRkxiDPJvIQNA6b6L9pimIMc4z1YnUBT0x09xoCBqgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

farview Tue 18-Dec-18 14:38:14

I love huge Portobello mushroom stuffed with chestnut,onion, peppers etc cook my roasties in olive oil with rosemary,and a vegetarian stuffing plus the sprouts, parsnips etc..don't like processed or ready made food..

Greyduster Tue 18-Dec-18 15:35:15

I am looking for a recipe for a vegetarian wellington to make for DD’s Christmas main. I had one in a restaurant last week which was really delicious. The nearest I can come to it is a Sainsbury’s recipe, but I would be interested in any others. River I can’t get yours to download!

TheOldDear Tue 18-Dec-18 15:54:28

If you give your Xmas guests beet wellington, isn’t there a danger they’ll end up with red teeth? I would be horrified to have that served up to me. Sorry! blush

breeze Tue 18-Dec-18 16:10:19

Number 3 son has been a veggie for years. After thinking it was a phase, so buying shop bought veggie meals (I had enough to contend with cancer and a houseful) I got my act together and now home cook and freeze for xmas as I can't cope with too many elements. So for example, this year, (we only have him for the day as he is in panto. Oh no he isn't! tchgrin) I've already made a sage nut roast which freezes really well and just needs defrosting and then popping in oven. For an easy starter, I have some puff pastry (shop bought) and I'll make some caramelised onions the night before, shove a square of pastry in the oven (we're having lobster starter!) with the onions and a small goats cheese. Then he will have his nut roast for main. My children told me years ago they hate a turkey roast. So it became a tradition we had turkey roast on boxing day (when GC visited) although not this year as we are going out with GC. So we have something like a wellington or steak or rare roast beef with dauphinoise and so on. The pre frozen nut roast and starter will be easy peasey along with the rest of it. You don't want to be faffing around trying to get xmas lunch out and cooking veggie from scratch. Good luck.

oldbatty Tue 18-Dec-18 16:11:59

farview, thats a good idea. I had a wander round Waitrose today and the ready meals looked dull.

nettyandmasey Tue 18-Dec-18 16:26:59

I’m with Jaycee5 I’m happy with just the veg. And veggie gravy. I do like a bit of mustard too. I don’t like quorn tofu etc. My daughter usually choose veggie sausage as easy and knows she likes them . This year I’m making a lentil loaf as my nephew veggie too

Hollydoilly10 Tue 18-Dec-18 18:02:30

You should be able to get a ready made dish from the supermarket to have with the veggies.

craftergran Tue 18-Dec-18 18:17:37

Jamie Oliver has some very tasty looking vegetarian dishes for Christmas www.jamieoliver.com/christmas/collection/vegetarian/

I always find his recipes turn out lovely

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Dec-18 18:28:30

M0nica the recipe for beetroot Wellington has more than just beetroot in it. -

I was surprised, though, to see it on the Christmas menu at a local hotel for the same price as for a main course of free range bronze local turkey.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Dec-18 18:29:13

and has misread it as Beef Wellington not Beet Wellington so nearly ordered it in advance.

NemosMum Tue 18-Dec-18 19:15:31

I made Delia Smith's mushroom profiteroles one year for late husband's very picky veggie DD. They were delicious! You can make the profiteroles in advance, store them and fill on the day. I see that Waitrose beet wellington is highly rated if you don't want the fuss of making choux pastry.

Treebee Tue 18-Dec-18 19:18:54

TheOldDear, regarding chestnuts, fry them quickly with some lightly cooked sprouts, yummy!

glammagran Tue 18-Dec-18 20:15:12

I’m not a vegeterian but once when holidaying in Thailand, we came across a local restaurant and I lived on the spicy tofu they cooked there. Loved it but never had it so well done since.

Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 20:44:25

We used to have tofu when we lived in Singapore, and we liked it.
To me, cooked mushrooms have quite a meaty taste and texture.

MargaretX Tue 18-Dec-18 20:55:07

My veggie friends don't eat anything that looks like a roast as the idea of animals being roasted appalls them and that is why they are vegetarian.

Sitting round a roast at a table and then finding no meat anywhere won't pacify your gastric juices.
If you are vegetarian then think it through after all it is a way of life.

Orelse Tue 18-Dec-18 21:38:35

Both of my daughters are strictly vegetarian (one also with a nut allergy) so they have Christmas roast dinner without the meat but with an Aldi vegetarian spinach,leek and cheddar parcel. Their starter is feta and spinach stuffed mushrooms, or home made tomato soup . The advantage is that mushroom or tomato soup can be prepared the day before so only parcel to be cooked on the day . The rest of the meal is the same as ours . Happy cooking and happy Christmas ???