Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas Veggie

(67 Posts)
oldbatty Tue 18-Dec-18 09:10:01

Can anybody suggest a simple but tasty offering? Not but roast? Is Tofu worth trying? Thanks in advance.

Jaycee5 Tue 18-Dec-18 21:44:54

Overthehills I cut it out of a magazine but I don't know which it was and it was a long time ago. It's a bit long to type out unfortunately but there are a few online if you just google 'butter bean loaf'.

sarahcyn Tue 18-Dec-18 22:56:56

Theolddear:
I frequently do a casserole of onions (lots) chestnuts, mushrooms with the usual suspects of herbs, red wine, garlic involved and if my vegan daughter isn't there I add a beurre manie at the end. Recipe is in a paperback called Stew! I've had for ages

sarahcyn Tue 18-Dec-18 22:57:51

Iceland is now Vegan Central.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Dec-18 23:03:18

I thought that was Waitrose yesterday - the one in Brighton which was invaded by vegans.

I don't mind what people eat, whether vegan, veggie, pescatarian, carnivore, omnivore, non-lactose, whatever.
I would not try to impose my views on others, especially in a threatening manner.

Bathsheba Tue 18-Dec-18 23:13:36

There'll be two veggies at our table on Tuesday - I'm doing a traditional turkey roast for everyone else, but will be making this for them. It can be served with all the vegetable accompaniments - just not the pigs in blankets and stuffing, and I'll have to make separate gravy for them.
I've had to choose carefully because one of them is a pre-schooler and doesn't like anything spicy. I'm also going to have some Iceland 'No Chick Chicken strips' in reserve.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Dec-18 23:43:38

Apologies for "infiltrating" the thread.

I did have a cookbook which gave veggie recipes for every day of the year but gave it to a friend years ago.
www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Recipes-Cookbook-Cooker-Beginners-ebook/dp/B00PWANTW4?tag=gransnetforum-21
I'm sure it's available from other retailers too

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Dec-18 23:45:21

these are probably more up-to-date:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegetarian-christmas

Fennel Wed 19-Dec-18 11:19:55

Bathsheba that recipe sounds like one I sometimes make.
Except mine is baked in a pot in the oven and has pre-fried onion, pepper etc as well.

Nanagem Wed 19-Dec-18 15:21:14

I’m doing a mushroom and Stilton parcel for my daughter, it’s lovely with chestnuts add, and filo pastry is easy to use. It freezes well, defrost then pop in the oven whilst the turkey is resting.

For those questioning the quorn roast, try defrosting, then remove the plastic casing. I then smear it with mustard, brown sugar and put in a roasting bag, add a couple of spoons of cider or orange juice, seal bag. it takes about 30 minutes to cook as its defrosted. You can also buy Colman’s or Maggie roasting bags with herbs already mixed, these are good, just remember to add a couple of spoons of liquid, they really transform a quorn roast.

Maggiemaybe Wed 19-Dec-18 16:40:11

I’ve served up all sorts to my veggies over the years, both bought in and homemade. But they both ask for quorn roast if we’re having a roast dinner, because that’s what they say goes best with all the other dishes. Our local pub does a cracking carvery, and when we go there they’re happy to have the full works without the meat. I just wish we could get this at a veggie carvery price!

I don’t really get your post, MargaretX. My DD hasn’t eaten meat or fish for over 20 years - if she couldn’t care less what shape the quorn roast is, that’s really nobody’s business but hers.

Bathsheba Wed 19-Dec-18 22:18:44

That's interesting Fennel - this'll be the first time I'm making this dish, so it's good to know it's (almost!) a tried and tested recipe!

merlotgran Wed 19-Dec-18 22:32:39

Did anyone watch Jamie Oliver's Quick and Easy Christmas on Channel 4 tonight? His roasted stuffed squash recipe was simple to make and looked colourful and tasty.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Dec-18 22:35:30

I should have watched that instead of the Extremely Difficult MasterChef tchgrin

merlotgran Wed 19-Dec-18 23:10:12

DH is always glued to MasterChef so I discreetly clamped on my headphones and watched Jamie on the laptop instead.

Much more light hearted and no grown men crying.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Dec-18 23:11:53

I should have had more sense! The food looked far too pretty to eat - all that faffing around just for it to disappear in a few minutes!

dizzyblonde Thu 20-Dec-18 08:01:04

My 90 year old FIL is a veggie and always comes to us for lunch on Christmas Day. He always says don’t bother I’ll just have the veg but I can’t not make an effort for him. He doesn’t like nut roast, tofu or quorn and can’t now cope with anything too rich so it’s been a bit of a challenge.
This year Ive made a mushroom, cranberry and chestnut stuffing (along with the usual sausage meat one) and I’m doing cauliflower cheese as one of the sides as I love that too.
At least I’ll feel I’ve made an effort for him as he’s a lovely chap.