Gransnet forums

Food

Anyone remember Bemax

(34 Posts)
Floradora9 Wed 19-Dec-18 11:50:17

I remember my father eating it every morning . I cannot say I ate it too but it sticks in my memory. I looked it up and it is no longer made but Jordans Natural Wheatgerm is similar.

Fennel Fri 21-Dec-18 14:44:01

I have Ryvitas with Marmite and cheese every evening for my supper.
My Mum used to have All Bran on her breakfast cereal all her life.
"Helps Keep You Regular!"

EllanVannin Fri 21-Dec-18 14:00:06

Ryvita's are like eating cardboard, they haven't half changed, like everything else, sadly.

Mapleleaf Fri 21-Dec-18 13:19:12

Yes, it was, BBbevan.
It was pretty tasteless, if memory serves me right.
Lemongrove, my Mum was the same. Very slim, but convinced she needed to watch her weight. She also used to eat ryvita and another crisp bread thing that looked like rounds of toast. Not much nutrition in any of them on their own, I would think. Having said that, I quite enjoy ryvitas!

Auntieflo Fri 21-Dec-18 09:02:02

Chewbacca I used to like Beechams Powders and would tip the powder straight onto my tongue, before swallowing . I thought it tasted of cinnamon? maybe.
I remember Nimble bread, and it's shaped top in little bumps and grooves. That's the only way I can think of to describe it.
The last bottle of Kaolin and Morphine I bought, had to be recorded in a book behind the counter.

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Dec-18 07:42:32

Kaolin and Morphine for diarrhoea. Its amazing how we’ve survived!

My DM was always very active, very overweight and lived on salads, Nimble, Energen and PLG. They didn’t work!

Chewbacca Thu 20-Dec-18 22:38:55

Beechams Powders were in little folds of white greaseproof paper and tasted vile. My mother used to mix one with a bit of water, in a spoon, and make us drink it if we had a cold. Why did we get medicated with so much stuff back then? And most of it tasted horrendous!

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 20:20:17

Never heard of Bemax, so we obviously didn’t have any as children.My Mother ( thin as a whip naturally) used to have Nimble bread, Ryvitas and PLJ, when in fact she should actually have eaten more, not less!
I do remember malt and cod liver oil ( yummy) and Fennings Fever Cure ( not so yummy).Also Beechams Powders and Bile Beans.grin Happy Days!

BBbevan Thu 20-Dec-18 20:12:57

I had a soap Brumas. I was 5 and took it everywhere with me
Was nimble advertised with a woman in a hot air balloon ?

Mapleleaf Thu 20-Dec-18 17:06:33

Anyone remember nimble bread? My Mum used to eat it. It seemed to be made of thin air! I think there was another brand, too, but I can’t remember it’s name. It can’t have been very nutritious, really.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Dec-18 09:33:04

Mum used to buy Energen rolls and I remember dad once saying that she'd be floating away one of these days as they were just full of air.

I think the Virol appeared after I'd been hospitalized with scarlet fever in 1945.

Up until I started to take Warfarin 12 years ago I had malt and cod liver oil every winter which kept me going, but the two aren't allowed together ( thin the blood too much )

Jessity Thu 20-Dec-18 09:29:11

Waves of nostalgia here. I hated Virol, made me vomit. Parish’s food (?spelling) was a deep red concoction diluted with water, no idea what it was supposed to cure. Also a pink liquid which separated in the bottle into a clear liquid on top and had to be shaken vigorously, it was called rochella salts and sweet nitre, not a clue why I was dosed with it but the name stuck in my mind.

Auntieflo Thu 20-Dec-18 09:02:59

Oh my yes. My mum also used to have these.
One bite and they disintegrated.
Thank you Grandma70. I must have been 7.

Marmight Thu 20-Dec-18 08:36:48

Anyone remember Energen rolls? My Mum used to have them delivered in a big box. I think they were part of a diet regime. They were light as a feather, dry and full of air. i.e. a waste of time (and money!)

Grandma70s Thu 20-Dec-18 08:23:50

Brumas was born in November 1949.

Grandma70s Thu 20-Dec-18 08:20:59

I remember queuing for hours to get a glimpse of Brumas the baby polar bear. I was about ten.

However, he was not called Bemax, though that might make a good name for some animal that’s the right sort of colour.

Auntieflo Thu 20-Dec-18 07:57:22

I remember Brumas the polar bear

BlueBelle Thu 20-Dec-18 07:53:07

Every time I read this title I think of Brumas the baby bear born in London was it late 59s ? think that was it’s name

Grammaretto Thu 20-Dec-18 07:53:01

NfkDumpling
Goodness me! TB!
My DSister and I were hospitalised for weeks with whooping cough when we were small children. A chest x-ray later showed a damaged lung.
Yet we've both made it so far....
I'm going to get a tonic today but maybe with gin in it this time.

BBbevan Thu 20-Dec-18 07:46:32

My DS vomited his milk a lot when a baby. GP recommended Slippery Elm which did the trick.

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Dec-18 07:19:31

That figures Grammaretto. I did have a very bad chest infection when I was two and was apparently very ill. I don’t think our elderly doctor was too good on diagnosis as later my parents were most upset when I tested positive for having once had TB!

Grammaretto Thu 20-Dec-18 06:18:18

You can still get Minadex. I wonder what it's ingredients are.
Metatone is another tonic recommended after an illness. It has small amounts of alcohol so probably wasn't for children.

Chewbacca Wed 19-Dec-18 21:38:23

I used to give my son something called Minadex in the 1980's. He was a very poor eater and constantly in and out of hospital and I was advised to give it to him to "encourage his appetite and build him up". Not seen Minadex for years so possibly discontinued.

Grammaretto Wed 19-Dec-18 21:28:48

NfkDumpling maybe not prescribed but advised for building you up after an illness.

NfkDumpling Wed 19-Dec-18 21:24:50

I was a skinny child and loved Virol! I didn’t know it was prescribed. I think I was quite healthy but just grew very quickly - tall and skinny. (It got me into the bad habit of eating anything and everything.) I don’t remember Bemax.

Grammaretto Wed 19-Dec-18 21:20:00

I remember it now you mention it. DM was health/weight conscious.
She read about wheatgerm and yoghurt so we had that. Cod liver oil especially in winter. Virol? I don't think we had that.it was thick malty stuff and prescribed for skinny children. I was never a skinny child.
I loved Bemax and used to spoon it from the packet into my gob.